Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Old Jul 16, 12, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyer31 View Post
Now the question is when. People are on the plane and some have already traveled....
Who is UA's collection agent?
Old Jul 16, 12, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Originally Posted by flyer31 View Post
Now the question is when. People are on the plane and some have already traveled....
Their bookings have been honored unconditionally, so far, why not ours?
No need to argue really, this is a pure fact
Old Jul 16, 12, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by cdegt View Post
At least that is my hope that my booking will be honored.
Old Jul 16, 12, 6:37 pm

I must say I am surprised they have not cancelled them all yet.
Old Jul 16, 12, 6:40 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, AC, US
I'm in the game too!

Just received ticket numbers for my two bookings that were on hold since yesterday. ^

Special thanks to a :-: FT member :-: here who helped me with a Chase Ultimate Reward transfer... ^^
Old Jul 16, 12, 6:45 pm

For those into the real legal aspects of this, there is a link to a DOT FAQ right here: http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/EAP...-2012final.pdf

In addition to comments on mistake rule (section 388.88) at the end of the document which were discussed earlier, see FAQ on price advertising/solicitation rule (section 399.84) beginning on page 22 which says:

(a) The Department considers any advertising or solicitation by a direct air carrier [or seller of air transportation] that states a price for such air transportation, tour, or tour component to be an unfair and deceptive practice in violation of 49 U.S.C. 41712, unless the price stated is the entire price to be paid by the customer to the carrier, or agent, for such air transportation, tour, or tour component.

Then the FAQ (again, written by the DOT) has this question:

5. How can a carrier display frequent-flyer award ticket costs when the consumer must “pay” in miles and separately pay for taxes and fees?

In the case of an award ticket, the full fare would be the total amount of miles a consumer needs to redeem an award ticket plus any monetary amount the consumer must pay in order to redeem the award ticket. Therefore, the mileage amount and the cash amount must be in equal prominence in the display, as they are both components of the full fare. The monetary amount must include any mandatory charge that the carrier imposes in order to redeem the award amount, including service/processing charges, taxes, and fees.

It would be a per se violation of 399.84 to even list a price on the screen and not honor it. Does anyone really think the DOT is going to set a precedent that allows a carrier to list two separate prices for the exact same flight on one screen and charge the HIGHER of the two to the consumer when they process the transaction?

More importantly, this makes it CLEAR that all of these rules apply to award tickets. There is no way the DOT considers 399.84 (price advertising/solicitation) applicable to award fares and 399.88 (mistake rule) four paragraphs down and in the same section to be exempt from award fares. Absolutely no way.

The question UA has now is whether it's cheaper to violate the law or honor the tickets. But any violation would subject them to civil claims and an easy class action in addition to the government penalties. Just can't see it happening.

Last edited by davidbridgman; Jul 16, 12 at 6:53 pm
Old Jul 16, 12, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by thyeri View Post
I'm in the game too!

Just received ticket numbers for my two bookings that were on hold since yesterday. ^

Special thanks to a :-: FT member :-: here who helped me with a Chase Ultimate Reward transfer... ^^
Felicitations, welcome to the club!
Old Jul 16, 12, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by thyeri View Post
I'm in the game too!

Good to know that a FT member helped you.^^
Good luck to you, hope you get to travel on your reservation.
Old Jul 16, 12, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by chewy3 View Post

if 1 is much greater than 2 then they will cancel the trips. My guess is the cost is closer to even and they will honor most trips or perhaps cancel trips on partner carriers only
Makes sense, but wouldn't cancelling partner carrier flights create another set of problems? Some people get their trip or others don't?
Old Jul 16, 12, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by cdegt View Post
Just hope they don't get stranded in HKG if UA decides to cancel later on...
Old Jul 16, 12, 7:08 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Information regarding award pricing error

Hi Everyone, over the weekend, we discovered a united.com programming error that allowed customers to obtain Mileage Plus travel awards to and from Hong Kong for as little as four miles roundtrip per person, substantially below published levels, which we disclose to customers. We have since corrected the error and will be in contact with customers who have tickets issued at the incorrect award amounts. Customers will be given the choice to redeem at the correct mileage amount or re-deposit their award with all fees waived. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Old Jul 16, 12, 8:29 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Folks, We're just in the process of splitting the thread into two. There will be this thread and a second thread with the UA announcement and the related comments to that. It will be back and this will be reopened. Soon. - l'etoile

...and here it is: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...redeposit.html

Last edited by J.Edward; Jul 16, 12 at 9:36 pm
Old Jul 16, 12, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
And the Survey Says....

120 responses so far... I deleted the surveys reporting 800 and 1000 tickets issued; you guys are just too awesome.

Number of Tickets

It looks like somewhere between 512 (using lowest figures and excluding suspicious outliers) and 748 (using highest figures and including outliers) tickets were issued to the respondents. The highest category included responses of 18, 18, 18, 20, 22, 26, 26, 44, 45, and 75 tickets issued.

UA Metal versus Partner Metal

Where did you learn about the deal?

Other Questions
*Approximately 2/3 of the flights were booked in F, 1/3 in J, and a few in Economy.
*83% of you have had no miles deducted, 7.5% claim a small number of miles (e.g. 4 per ticket) have been deducted and 10% had large amounts of miles deducted.
*The vast majority of you (80%) declined to provide an e-mail contact.

The part that really surprises me is in bold above. We haven't had any reports that someone has had the correct number of miles deducted from their accounts, yet several aurvey respondents (9 total) report such deductions. Unless some people chime in to the contrary, I'm going to assume that my survey question was unclear.

I will keep the survey open and update you if there are significant numbers of new responses.
Old Jul 16, 12, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
No Surprise Here.

Hate to say I was right, but there were very unreasonable expectations here of getting something for nothing. Hope springs eternal it seems.
Old Jul 17, 12, 7:16 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator Note.

We encourage the discussion of United's response to the 4/8 RDM award tickets to take place in the dedicated thread we've set up for this phase of the matter:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eposit-21.html

We've moved the recent, relevant threads from this thread to the above-linked one.
Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: