Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Old Jul 16, 12, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by HumbleBee View Post
Do the DoT regulations govern US based airlines also when the flights in question are not to/from the USA?
With the RGN deal, KE tickets were canceled for flights that did not touch the US. Better question can the DOT go after a US airline selling tickets that don't touch the US. (I want to say yes, but I honestly don't know)
Old Jul 16, 12, 5:07 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Please take my survey!

I'm dying of curiosity... How many people booked which tickets? I've heard numbers like 10, 500-1000, thousands, etc.

So I made a quick survey and posted it here:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6VV87FH

I will post the data analysis on this thread, but I will not release any individual responses. No personal information is required.

Thanks!

Last edited by janetdoe; Jul 16, 12 at 5:14 pm
Old Jul 16, 12, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe View Post
I'm dying of curiosity... How many people booked which tickets? I've heard numbers like 10, 500-1000, thousands, etc.

I will post the data analysis on this thread, but I will not release any individual respnoses. No personal information is required.

Thanks!
Done.
Old Jul 16, 12, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JC1120 View Post
I seem to remember reading that some sellers on eBay (thinking like purchases of autos and other large items) which were able to back out of sales using that argument. Could have been because it was state vs. federal.
There is the legal ability to get out of a deal and the actual ability to get out of the deal. It may not be worth the buyers time to go after the seller to enforce the contract.

I know some states have "cooling off" periods that apply to some contracts that allow the buyer and seller to back out of a deal within some period of time. Those are really narrow though and tend to only apply to high pressure sales (time shares and ect.) so YMMV.

There is no state v federal issue here. The courts have already held that airline contract disputes are not preempted by federal law. The reg that states airlines must honor mistake fares just says that the DOT considers canceling mistakes will be considered a violation of the federal deceptive trade practices act, which is a different issue from the contract issue.
Old Jul 16, 12, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by JC1120 View Post
I seem to remember reading that some sellers on eBay (thinking like purchases of autos and other large items) which were able to back out of sales using that argument. Could have been because it was state vs. federal.
The problem with erroneous pricing, online purchases, and automated order confirmation systems is well known.
There have been cases where an online store has advertised an item at a price much lower than it would normally cost and customers have received automated order confirmations and had their credit cards charged, but the store has been able to cancel the order since the customers should have realized that the price was a mistake and the automated confirmation doesn't *really* constitute a binding contract.
Of course, with the DOT regulations, UA may not be able to use the same argument.
Old Jul 16, 12, 5:19 pm

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR

I will post the data analysis on this thread, but I will not release any individual responses. No personal information is required.

Thanks!
done. great idea. not sure about providing my email, though
Old Jul 16, 12, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by MSYnola View Post
I filled out the survey but did not provide my email.
Old Jul 16, 12, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vunder31 View Post
The problem with erroneous pricing, online purchases, and automated order confirmation systems is well known.
There have been cases where an online store has advertised an item at a price much lower than it would normally cost and customers have received automated order confirmations and had their credit cards charged, but the store has been able to cancel the order since the customers should have realized that the price was a mistake and the automated confirmation doesn't *really* constitute a binding contract.
Of course, with the DOT regulations, UA may not be able to use the same argument.
I don't think that has been applied to airlines. Thankfully, thoses laws are very anti-consumer and have not been expanded on.
Old Jul 16, 12, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

Thanks!
Just don't release anything before UA makes a decision, or you are helping them doing sampling and analysis.
Old Jul 16, 12, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by angelicboris View Post
I filled out the survey but did not provide my email.
done
Old Jul 16, 12, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by newballs View Post
Just don't release anything before UA makes a decision, or you are helping them doing sampling and analysis.
Seriously? I'm fairly sure UA has all the data with respect to how many tickets were booked and the overall composition of the flights. There is zero data in that survey that would be of even remote value to UA.
Old Jul 16, 12, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by newballs View Post
They can get actual numbers from their own system instead of relying on a survey in which probably only a very small fraction will respond. They aren't going to use this at all.
Old Jul 16, 12, 5:29 pm

survey

Survey done.

Some clarification though: tickets vs flights? I responded by segments, some are mixed though ...

Also, I booked several segments to get to / from HKG, most likely won't ever use them, as I want to get from A to B, but had to add a segment from B to HKG to get the 'premium discount fare'.
Old Jul 16, 12, 5:29 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by MSYnola View Post
Agreed. That's why it was optional with a huge warning statement.
Old Jul 16, 12, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by colpuck View Post
Better question can the DOT go after a US airline selling tickets that don't touch the US. (I want to say yes, but I honestly don't know)
That was what I asked.

I'm thinking the DoT wouldn't have authority over it, as their mandate is solely to regulate 'Transportation', however on US soil the only activity is retail of transportation in a foreign country

Search this Thread
Search Engine: