Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Old Jul 16, 12, 3:19 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
I disagree with this analysis. It makes the fundamental assumption that UA would have sold for revenue all these seats. That is highly unlikely. I would guesstimate that in 80% of tickets all they would end up paying for is the cost of food and extra fuel burden. If you look up availability on their flights to HKG over the coming there are very few where J or F are sold out and in most cases it's J9.

Where it really does become expensive for them is where they were booked on partner airlines. In those cases UA is going to have to cough up real money. We already know of one person who flew yesterday by FRA on LH so there will be some real $$$s there.

But the idea that they are going to be out 2000 x $5k is not right
I made a point to book UA metal only, just on the outside chance that it makes a difference.
Old Jul 16, 12, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by frecuente-flyer View Post

And nowadays with technology, they find all the reservations and cancel quite easily if they want to. The hard part is the PR and dealing with regulations.
I'm not so sure technology is UA's best tool at the moment.

Originally Posted by VandyBDL View Post
If they decide to cancel they'll probably be able to do something automated or via email. If they don't cancel, I wouldn't be surprised if FT is the only source of confirmation on that.
I wondered about this, too. My trip isn't until December (if it happens), so no huge rush to book any arrangements, but if we hear no official word, at what point is it somewhat safe to assume the deal would be honored, and we can start looking at hotels?
Old Jul 16, 12, 3:24 pm
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GMUJD06 View Post

I wondered about this, too. My trip isn't until December (if it happens), so no huge rush to book any arrangements, but if we hear no official word, at what point is it somewhat safe to assume the deal would be honored, and we can start looking at hotels?
It's gonna be a very long 5 months of reading this thread..
Old Jul 16, 12, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by GMUJD06 View Post
I'm not so sure technology is UA's best tool at the moment.

My trip is in the first week of Aug, when do I book my stay.
Old Jul 16, 12, 3:28 pm

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by flyer31 View Post
Priceline your stay when you finally board your flight
Old Jul 16, 12, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by NttDocomo View Post
Hi colpuck, wonder what you mean by crediting? The most I can transfer is 15k per person and that costs alot.

Do you just credit by booking another flight. Just like another post said, I thought about UA can always cancell any other bookings to get the miles back to my account and deduct for this event, any comment?

getting very anxious as now already past the 24 hours purchase mark and now within 24 hours of travel time
Credited refers to the nature of the post I replied to. It's short for "this is the credited response" or TITCR.
Old Jul 16, 12, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
My now way for DH and I is not till April 2013. 4 miles per tkt but 60k per deducted for j.

Just lookng at the set map and on this one I think all parties grabbed seats, the seat map is exactly the same as yesterday when I grabbed mine. So, it's possible that a max of 4 people have seats o this flt under the 4 miles per tkt program.
Old Jul 16, 12, 3:30 pm
dll

Programs: AA EX PLT; Marriott Plt; *wood Plt
Book a rate that you can cancel up until the last-minute plus trip insurance and you should be set. On the off chance you'd make it to day of departure and be denied boarding (at which point it may be too late to cancel a hotel reservation ahead of the cxl deadline), you may be able to convince the trip insurance to cover you. Do note that many of them expressly prohibit coverage related to airline mistakes, so read the T&Cs closely. The folks on the RGN thread discussed that at length and found many trip insurers would not cover cancellations due to fare or schedule changes. Those are deemed to be the responsibility of the carrier in question as I recall.
Old Jul 16, 12, 3:35 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
You keep repeating that miles are not currency. In this case you are not correct. They are. UA may own them before the contract. After the purchase, you own the ticket. Otherwise, would they have a right to cancel it if you paid 140K for your ticket? I don't think so!

Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post

Your last 2 sentences are correct. Your first two are not. I think the DOT rules you cited are intended to protect consumers from price hikes on tickets that they purchased for cash, not miles which are not a currency as airline rules specifically state that they own the mileage program. But you'd have to go back to the regulatory history of the rule and also to see how DOT has applied the rule in administrative proceedings. You've done none of that here.
Old Jul 16, 12, 3:43 pm

Programs: United 1K & AA Exec Plat
Past Experiences

In the past, how long did or does it take airlines to usually say something about these "glitches" about what is going to happen to them
Old Jul 16, 12, 3:50 pm

"Get A Discount And Get Away‏" - AA AD email that just came in...
Old Jul 16, 12, 3:53 pm

Has anyone tried to make a date change and if so what was the outcome? When I try I either get an error or they ask for tons of extra miles....
Old Jul 16, 12, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Originally Posted by Chucksterace View Post
In the past, how long did or does it take airlines to usually say something about these "glitches" about what is going to happen to them
As far as I recall, there should be no previous cases on award travel.
For other paid fare mistakes, the airlines normally reacted within a week from the incident happened.
Old Jul 16, 12, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Milezjunkie View Post
Has anyone tried to make a date change and if so what was the outcome? When I try I either get an error or they ask for tons of extra miles....
+1
Old Jul 16, 12, 4:01 pm

Programs: BAEC, A*A, SW RR
+1
I'd let sleeping dogs lie here. we know the glitch is fixed, and i'd imagine any changes would require full payment

Search this Thread
Search Engine: