Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Old Jul 16, 12, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Antipode View Post
I think the question was about if the passenger decides to cancel the trip. If United cancels these bookings, yes, they will of course refund the taxes without charging the refund/redeposit fee. But if they decide to honor the tickets, then who knows? My guess is that they will hold you to the terms and charge the refund/redeposit fee, but perhaps they will let it slide to get as many of these bookings canceled as possible.
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan View Post
A California law to protect consumers would supersede a federal law.

I believe the law in the regard is indeed that state law can offer more protection than federal law, but not less. You're right, but it's not relevant to this situation.
Old Jul 16, 12, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Colin View Post
My official prediction of the ultimate resolution:

1. If you had sufficient miles for the correct award price, then the only accommodation UA will grant to you is a fee-free cancel & redeposit.
2. If you did not have sufficient miles to pay the correct award price & the ticket was issued, UA will permit the first such booking for each member to stand. All subsequent bookings of this nature will be cancelled with a full refund.
Interesting. And plausible I guess! I would hope #2 is modified so that a user gets to choose rather than honor the first in time.
Old Jul 16, 12, 2:12 pm

Guys can we please can stop bashing these people for calling?

You'll just have to take my word for it (I know there are a lot of skeptics in this thread, and rightfully so) but I have a friend who works at United who told me this morning that they are WELL aware of the error and aren't very happy about it.

Latest info I have from him is the airline is looking into whether the fact that the correct price was displayed above the line is grounds for canceling all of these tickets.

FWIW - I have 3 booked.
Old Jul 16, 12, 2:14 pm

haha. I just received an email from United.com advertising to help me find the perfect hotel for my upcoming trip to hong kong.........
Old Jul 16, 12, 2:17 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
UA just don't have enough time to deal with this crisis. If I were them, any phone call regarding this matter specifically will be put on a list, flagged. It's very likely UA legal team would have advised them to do so and these part may be taken care of on a"voluntarily" basis even before UA bring this event into public.

Just like Air China $0 business class case. Although CA declared they will honor all bookings few days ago, they are still making phone calls to passengers asking cancellation in exchange of couple thousand miles. It's happening right now.

Don't tell me it's not gonna happen. What if you receive an UA call? Certainly many will refuse to void their itineraries, but there will be someone will accept to cancel for few thousand miles, then UA get the case sample what they need.

To those who have called for their own "good", I only can say it was not a good move at the moment, not only yourself has been affected, also many others, so good luck.
Old Jul 16, 12, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by OptionsCLE View Post

You'll just have to take my word for it (I know there are a lot of skeptics in this thread, and rightfully so) but I have a friend who works at United who told me this morning that they are WELL aware of the error and aren't very happy about it.

Latest info I have from him is the airline is looking into whether the fact that the correct price was displayed above the line is grounds for canceling all of these tickets.

FWIW - I have 3 booked.

Exactly. It's not like UA has no idea about this.

The longer the silence from UA, the more likely the tickets will be cancelled and refunded. They're just looking for an out and confirming it's legal. Just a matter of time...
Old Jul 16, 12, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond

FWIW - I have 3 booked.
Who are "these people"? We're talking about Astrophsx. And I could care less what your anonymous "source" knows or doesn't know, says or doesn't say. It's the cardinal FT rule in these cases not to call. Period. At best it simply doesn't help. Is this not obvious?

Originally Posted by NttDocomo View Post
don't know anyone has asked this, my ticket is scheduled to leave tomorrow. If it doesn't get cancelled, I will be traveling out.

I booked a first class ticket and currently no mile has been deducted from my account. However, I do have over 150k miles in my account, my question is whether to fly out because they may end up just deduct 150k miles from my account. Anyway to avoid this? The only thing I can think of is use my award miles to book another flight a year out so that my account will end up with no miles. Any thought or help is appreciated, need to make quick decision. Thanks very much
Unless you have some pressing need to get to HKG where you'd value spending a substantial amount of miles, why risk it? A myriad of ways they can negatively impact you miles-wise, time-wise, headache-wise in this situation, even if you make some future booking to drain your account.

If you had a miniscule amount of miles in your account, different story.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emmygofly View Post
haha. I just received an email from United.com advertising to help me find the perfect hotel for my upcoming trip to hong kong.........
That is a good one. Maybe you should book it. Hard to imagine a judge saying you couldn't rely on their offer.

Guys this is all bollocks. I don't care about DOT laws or cancellation policies or whatnot. I deserve to fly to Hong Kong for 4 miles.
Old Jul 16, 12, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
.... it's because UA will let you stranded in HK!
So they are forestalling your UA experience

:P
Old Jul 16, 12, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Points View Post
@Rick - don't know but I have 1 hr to go for 24 hrs. I also was able to pick my 1st class seats on the Asiana part of the trip : .... and they show up on my United itinerary at United as well!
I was able to pick my United segment seats fine, but I get this error on the Asiana website:

I got the email confirmation and it's on my credit card, but the miles haven't been deducted yet. Such an interesting situation for United.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 16, 12 at 3:06 pm

FWIW - I have 3 booked.
Any idea what kind of scale we're talking about? 10,000 tickets?

Going nuclear on HKG award search is plenty enough evidence to prove that point, no need to take anyones word for it.
Old Jul 16, 12, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
And for those looking to buy cheap UA miles, MP AwardAccelerator is being offered on each of my 4 mile rez... 30,000 miles for about $0.02 per mile for each HKG round trip. Accepting and buying the extra miles would certainly add another element.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: