Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
(888)674-9559 from what I was told is the 'online support'
The original reservation agent shows the reservation for a 1 way ticket for 70k.
When I was forwarded on to the online support he is the only one who is able to see that I booked it at 4 miles. He said they are "aware of the glitch" and is talking to a manager.
You've got to be kidding me... what the hell are you doing??
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
(888)674-9559 from what I was told is the 'online support'
The original reservation agent shows the reservation for a 1 way ticket for 70k.
When I was forwarded on to the online support he is the only one who is able to see that I booked it at 4 miles. He said they are "aware of the glitch" and is talking to a manager.
The supervisor on the phone is stating that they are not honoring the 4 mile reservations. So if you are in the group that had enough miles and were later charged the full fare in miles, as of right now they are saying that they are not honoring it. The agent said this was the first they had heard of it.
To be honest, what did you expect when you called?

Right now, the best plan of action is keep a low profile, IF United decides to do something drastic like cancelling all reservation or not honoring them. Plenty of FTers have all the Docs ready and the letter ready to send out to the DoT. To be honest, I want UA to cancel one of my reservations. I would have no trouble filing DoT complaints and DoT complaints are taken seriously, just look at KE in early May.

Regarding the 4 miles prices, if you click on see my receipt, it will show you the 4 miles price... Just save it as a PDF...
You are not a new user, so this can't be your first rodeo. Not sure what you were trying to achieve by calling UA....
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by kiez
they got no idea - "talk to the manager" in they eye and ears of a european is like " i do not care..."

Why did u call in the first place?

When is your ticket?
I'm actually on the plane to HKG now
This better not be a joke this is SEVERELY NOT FUNNY
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I'm actually on the plane to HKG now
on a 4 miles redemption that this thread is discussing?

My official prediction of the ultimate resolution:

1. If you had sufficient miles for the correct award price, then the only accommodation UA will grant to you is a fee-free cancel & redeposit.
2. If you did not have sufficient miles to pay the correct award price & the ticket was issued, UA will permit the first such booking for each member to stand. All subsequent bookings of this nature will be cancelled with a full refund.

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jghassell
So whisky tango foxtrot did you need to call for?
Cuz he figured he would get to fly, so why do the rest of us matter?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Popcorn, table one please.

Please Astro doesn't owe us any loyalty. People are intitled to do what they think is best. Now why he chose to comit virtual suicide by posting his decision is beyond me.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by davidbridgman
What it means is that if the DOT determines that this falls within the realm of a mistake fare, that UA has no mistake defense in contract law at any level. So you can throw any state law stuff out the window with regard to defenses based in contract. I mean, could it be any more clear that the DOT intended to preempt a mistake defense? The question is whether DOT mistake rule applies to ISSUED AND CONFIRMED award tickets the same way it applies to revenue tickets. I don't think anyone disputes that DOT has no control over FF programs or awards prior to the confirmed ticket being issued.

I can't fathom anyone arguing with a straight face that it's crystal clear that UA can void these tickets legally. This whole scenario has the makings of a law school exam question.
A California law to protect consumers would supersede a federal law.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
A California law to protect consumers would supersede a federal law.
Ever hear of the Supremacy Clause??
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
don't know anyone has asked this, my ticket is scheduled to leave tomorrow. If it doesn't get cancelled, I will be traveling out.

I booked a first class ticket and currently no mile has been deducted from my account. However, I do have over 150k miles in my account, my question is whether to fly out because they may end up just deduct 150k miles from my account. Anyway to avoid this? The only thing I can think of is use my award miles to book another flight a year out so that my account will end up with no miles. Any thought or help is appreciated, need to make quick decision. Thanks very much
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
My advice is to follow these three simple steps:

1. Do NOT call the airline.
2. Do NOT call the airline.
3. Do NOT call the airline.

Originally Posted by jfkeze
To be honest, what did you expect when you called?

Right now, the best plan of action is keep a low profile, IF United decides to do something drastic like cancelling all reservation or not honoring them. Plenty of FTers have all the Docs ready and the letter ready to send out to the DoT. To be honest, I want UA to cancel one of my reservations. I would have no trouble filing DoT complaints and DoT complaints are taken seriously, just look at KE in early May.

You are not a new user, so this can't be your first rodeo. Not sure what you were trying to achieve by calling UA....
To be honest...
I'm not trolling. I booked the ticket for this week and want to make sure I can cancel it after 24 hours. I'm in a position where I could be flying before a "decision" is made and they've withdrawn the full amount in miles. They assured me that they will allow me to cancel at any point and get a full refund of miles, taxes, and fees.

If you have any complaints, PM me.

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by NttDocomo
don't know anyone has asked this, my ticket is scheduled to leave tomorrow. If it doesn't get cancelled, I will be traveling out.

I booked a first class ticket and currently no mile has been deducted from my account. However, I do have over 150k miles in my account, my question is whether to fly out because they may end up just deduct 150k miles from my account. Anyway to avoid this? The only thing I can think of is use my award miles to book another flight a year out so that my account will end up with no miles. Any thought or help is appreciated, need to make quick decision. Thanks very much
I think you have the right idea. Book one for later and get the miles out just to be safe.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by VandyBDL
I think you have the right idea. Book one for later and get the miles out just to be safe.
Credited, I emptied my acct this morning.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NttDocomo
I booked a first class ticket and currently no mile has been deducted from my account. However, I do have over 150k miles in my account, my question is whether to fly out because they may end up just deduct 150k miles from my account. Anyway to avoid this? The only thing I can think of is use my award miles to book another flight a year out so that my account will end up with no miles.
I heard they can cancel existing bookings if you don't have sufficient miles (negative balance). Once again, YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.