Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Old Jul 16, 12, 11:55 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by VandyBDL View Post
Agreed, if they are accepted as a medium of exchange, by definition they are currency. Currency does not only apply to money.
And while we don't have anything definitive on the DOT mistake fare applicability in this case, as I noted upthread the FAQ that they published includes this Q&A in the section dealing with fare advertisements:

5. How can a carrier display frequent-flyer award ticket costs when the consumer must “pay” in miles and separately pay for taxes and fees?

In the case of an award ticket, the full fare would be the total amount of miles a consumer needs to redeem an award ticket plus any monetary amount the consumer must pay in order to redeem the award ticket.
Therefore, the mileage amount and the cash amount must be in equal prominence in the display, as they are both components of the full fare. The monetary amount must include any mandatory charge that the carrier
imposes in order to redeem the award amount, including service/processing charges, taxes, and fees.
I don't claim to know for sure (and don't believe anyone on here knows for sure either), but it's not unreasonable to think DOT might apply the same "definition" of the fare, for "payment" involving miles and cash as it relates to mistake fare increases/cancellations.
Old Jul 16, 12, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Chucksterace View Post
I have no patience, I'm loosing my patience, how much longer will I have to wait to hear the line I want to hear "Yes, we will honor"
Even if they decide to honor them, I wouldn't count on them making an announcement that they will honor them. I would only expect to hear from UA if they decide to cancel them or offer compensation in exchange for canceling. Otherwise, they'd probably prefer to keep quiet.
Old Jul 16, 12, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by davidbridgman View Post
Without reading the fine print, I would venture an educated guess that they can legally cancel a held ticket before it is actually confirmed.
They didn't cancel; they deceitfully changed the price of my reserved ticket which is fixed under the ticket contract.
Old Jul 16, 12, 11:57 am

Programs: United 1K & AA Exec Plat
yea I figured that much out, dont want to publicize that they are honoring it.. Hopefully it all stays quiet till mid august
Old Jul 16, 12, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antipode View Post
Even if they decide to honor them, I wouldn't count on them making an announcement that they will honor them. I would only expect to hear from UA if they decide to cancel them or offer compensation in exchange for canceling. Otherwise, they'd probably prefer to keep quiet.
Um, don't you think somebody in the media is going to ask them about this?

I mean, in the world of commercial aviation, I would submit that a story about frequent flyers jumping on the chance to redeem 4 mile biz class tickets to Hong Kong is newsworthy. Whatever happens with this is going to get some media play.
Old Jul 16, 12, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post

I mean, in the world of commercial aviation, I would submit that a story about frequent flyers jumping on the chance to redeem 4 mile biz class tickets to Hong Kong is newsworthy. Whatever happens with this is going to get some media play.
Let's hope Nancy Grace went in on this. She'll put it on her show and talk about it every night for the next year. She'll come up with a nifty title for the debacle as well.
Old Jul 16, 12, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
So of course there are taxes and fees at stake.

If they do decide to honor it, do folks think that taxes would get refunded if you cancel the trip but don't want to pay the $150.00 redeposit fee for the 4 miles back?

Just trying to decide if I should do the 24hr cancellation now? or just ride it out.
Old Jul 16, 12, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond
While we're all salting the popcorn and enjoying the speculation calm before the storm...

I'm wondering, historically, whether UA has ever actually failed to honor a mistake fare, paid or otherwise. I know they stood by the NZ C fire sale, and I know that other airlines have tried to renege on low-dollar deals...but when was the last time UA was in this spot? I ask because so many commenters are "certain" UA will cancel these, and yet I can't think of a single precedent where UA did this. Not saying there isn't, just that I can't think of one.
Old Jul 16, 12, 12:04 pm

Programs: JL/JGC Diamond (OWE), AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, A3 *G, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post

Not if the media doesn't know about it, and its been way too early since this deal died.

Shouldn't we wait for a couple more reports back before celebrating like we just "taken off with a free Hyundai" as others have suggested
Old Jul 16, 12, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by mrkymark View Post

If they do decide to honor it, do folks think that taxes would get refunded if you cancel the trip but don't want to pay the $150.00 redeposit fee for the 4 miles back?

Just trying to decide if I should do the 24hr cancellation now? or just ride it out.
You will always get your tax back if you cancel your tix
Old Jul 16, 12, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mrkymark View Post

I would ride it out. Unless you booked multiple ticket on the same itinerary, aren't your taxes less than $150? Also, I don't see United having an issue canceling this itinerary for you if you call and offer to cancel it at a later date since surely they'd hope they would sell the seat. But then again..It's United.
Old Jul 16, 12, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Just my personal opinion:

here there are too many upset travellers.
you *must* remain calm and be patient... and above all *** don't give UA any suggestion on how to deal with it!! ***.

I'm sure UA has lots of consultants and lawyers to discuss with and probably they're enlightening and educating UA about options and behaviours.
In the very unlikely case they have not yet explored all the possibilities, I don't think any of us should offer them any suggestion, either any idea about how customers could react to a certain offer/behaviour from the airline.

Let's UA working hard on it, without offering many kind of information to it. Don't give UA any pattern or feedback about your feelings.

I'm not new to Mistake fares, and I could really grant you that - at the beginning - the less you say in public, the best it is for the customer.
Once UA should step forward, then it's time to speculate and discuss loudly.

That's my opinion.

Luke

Last edited by paffendorf; Jul 16, 12 at 12:17 pm Reason: wording
Old Jul 16, 12, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by VandyBDL View Post
Also, I don't see United having an issue canceling this itinerary for you if you call and offer to cancel it at a later date since surely they'd hope they would sell the seat. But then again..It's United.
That's wishful thinking. Now they may make an offer saying that if you cancel, we'll waive the fee and maybe even throw an ecert at you, but once you decline that, they're going to want to enforce the terms as booked, which means a cancellation fee if you aren't Plat/1K/GS.
Old Jul 16, 12, 12:18 pm

I've been keeping up with this thread since the beginning, and got in on the deal (two DCA-HKG for 8 miles and $81). Here are my thoughts on the matter, for what its worth.

There seem to be two general schools of thought. Either you're on your soap box that its immoral and unethical to take advantage of UA and then expect them to beg for your loyalty, or you're entitled to the ticket and will threaten to sue and/or file a DoT complaint if its not.

Like I said, I booked the tickets, but I don't believe it was unethical for me to do so. I did so knowing that it likely won't work out, but hey, if it does, its like winning the lottery. If not, just like the lottery, it was fun playing the game and dreaming about my trip to HKG in GF. I don't have any intention of suing or filing a complaint with DoT, but likewise, I shouldn't be hated on or called unethical if I managed to get an awesome trip to HKG out of this mess.
Old Jul 16, 12, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by edcho View Post
They probably just opened the fare buckets so that they can be booked by agents but disabled purchasing those flights on UA.com?
They were open last night, too. I have screen shots from 8pm-ish with award seats available:

They could not be booked using UA's online system but they were bookable via partners (the X inventory).
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
haha oops I meant getting any compensation.
A held ticket is subject to all the laws regarding regular ticketing, isn't it?
You don't change the price without prior notice.
No, it is not. The transaction is only protected once the full agreed upon amount has been tendered. Until that time the DoT protections do not apply.
Originally Posted by FLYDCA View Post
Has UA blocked searching for all award inventory ex HKG? I have been trying all day to look for award at regular rates. It does not show me any flights at all. I can't find a single one way flight departing 14 April to US gateway cities at any award price.
They did yesterday afternoon. Basically removed HKG from the award engine.
Originally Posted by harry0233 View Post
You will always get your tax back if you cancel your tix
Only after paying the ticket cancellation fee. For top elites that would be free but for others there may be real costs there. If UA doesn't honor the tickets then you should get the taxes back without issue. If they do honor them but you want to cancel anyways I'd bet against you.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: