Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: US Silver, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by michaelm69
how are people booking this?

I cant find any availability out of any city . I have tried all the cities listed via united.com (Use award miles link)

Is there something else I need to do...Sorry for the noob question but Ive been trying for 2 hours with no luck
It's gone.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by michaelm69
how are people booking this?

I cant find any availability out of any city . I have tried all the cities listed via united.com (Use award miles link)

Is there something else I need to do...Sorry for the noob question but Ive been trying for 2 hours with no luck
The deal shut down roughly two hours ago, I think before 3pm EST.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat
I thought I read that someone just booked it about 20 minutes ago.

Darn it....never able to get these mistake fares.

Thanks for the info guys
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I booked a PHL-SIN roundtrip first class for late March. :-) Don't have enough miles to cover this in my account. The itinerary was ticketed and confirmed; the 4 miles haven't been deducted so far, so we shall see.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sykes
Have you read the DOT regulations that went in to effect earlier this year? It completely changes the conversation regarding mistake fares. For itineraries that touch the United States, airlines are now required to honor mistake fares once the purchase is complete, full stop ... as Korean Airlines and several others found out with the RGN mistake fares where they were forced to reinstate cancelled tickets. The open question is how this applies to award tickets.
Well, it's been more than a couple decades since I've been in law school (and they certainly didn't teach this. ).

But let's assume the DOT said these are tickets covered by this rule. Couldn't the airline still challenge the rulemaking? As I recall, agency rules are kind of like legal "suggestions," as they are not actual laws passed by Congress (is my recollection about this correct)?

While I'd be delighted to have my free biz class tickets to HKG honored, this strikes me as a very dumb rule, as it upsets longstanding (many hundreds of years) contract law. It is widely agreed that there is no binding contract under "mistake" circumstances where the buyer knew or should have known the offer price was a mistake. This obviously makes sense. Everybody makes mistakes and -- God knows -- airline ticket pricing is a very hard business. While I could understand something like a 5-day rule to catch mistakes, or a requirement that expenses made based on reasonable reliance be paid, requiring airlines to honor all mistake fares in all circumstances seems a bit ridiculous.

And expensive. Let's say that 2,000 biz class tickets to HKG were "given away" here. I would suggest that the value of each ticket is roughly $5000, meaning that UA would otherwise be able to (on average) sell these seats for that price (some would sell for more, some would go empty). That would make this a $10 million mistake -- it would actually be material to UA's Q3 earnings! I know others will feel differently, but it certainly doesn't seem "fair" to me that UA should be on the hook for this when we all knew it was a mistake.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Wirelessly posted (BB Curve: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; T-Mobile G2 Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

This is interesting as some people got the 4 mile redemption while others report getting hit with the full amount. Getting this reconciled between those will be fun.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Smi/j may I introduce you to karma.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
If we hadn't gone through all the S we have the past four months, I doubt you'd have seen such glee in this thread
I disagree. FT has been posting mistake fares for years. FTers ave always gloated about them. I think it's wrong.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:27 pm

I'm guessing United will probably cancel these tickets. I'd assume such cancellation would be accompanied by some kind of goodwill gesture (even Cartera had the business sense to do that), but I guess I'm not sure.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
To be honest, I don't care if these tickets don't get honored, i have more than enough on SQ itineraries...but it feels nice to "stick" it to them just a little bit
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:30 pm

Pax stranded for three days at PVG, massive award miles discrepancy, withdrawal of "dream" miles, the problems are not ending for UA. Heh,
maybe this is just the beginning.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold 1 MM
Originally Posted by cruisr
Smi/j may I introduce you to karma.
I also perhaps do not have good karma today. I also missed out on this deal. I've been trying for two hours but to no avail. Congratulations to those who got in the deal.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
No wonder people at United use words like "over entitled" and don't give a crap what people on FT think. (hay, don't get me wrong - if I knew about this or SQ in time I would have taken advantage as well). But I would certainly understand why UA does not value my business any more. If they read these threads I'm sure they think many of the people on here are getting exactly the service from UA they deserve. And AFAIK they would be right
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:32 pm

I doubt the people that got hit with full mileage are going to be able to do anything at all. I am sure someone will try, but there won't be any good result.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by fragment54
I'm guessing United will probably cancel these tickets. I'd assume such cancellation would be accompanied by some kind of goodwill gesture (even Cartera had the business sense to do that), but I guess I'm not sure.
My guess is that UA will deduct the correct number of miles for those who have enough miles in their account. For those who don't, it will either outright cancel or offer the opportunity to buy enough miles.

But I hope I'm wrong! Good luck to all who grabbed this deal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.