Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread isTo split or not to split PNR
Print Wikipost

To split or not to split PNR {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I believe it was always split at check-in, not T-24. The sweep running at T-(24+ε) just tagged the PNR with the appropriate WLPx SSR code which notified the check-in code to split the PNR and process the addition to the upgrade standby list at the corresponding priority. The check-in interface has an option to decline this for CPU priority but nobody every added it for SSR-driven upgrades. Technically you could still check in without the split, but you would need to find an agent who knows what an SSR code is (and you the pax probably need to be able to tell them that it's an SSR issue) and how to remove it from the PNR manually before processing the check-in. If you managed to do this, you would not be added to the upgrade standby list (though theoretically could still clear off of the PZ waitlist process prior to gate control).
OK, fair enough. So, for the optimistic, when an instrument is applied, delaying check-in to the airport would give the greatest possible chance to clear together, but makes it extremely difficult (read: not likely) to keep the reservation from being split if the upgrades don't clear in advance.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
OK, fair enough. So, for the optimistic, when an instrument is applied, delaying check-in to the airport would give the greatest possible chance to clear together, but makes it extremely difficult (read: not likely) to keep the reservation from being split if the upgrades don't clear in advance.
Right - I would definitely not let the tag get applied if I don't want the PNR split. It's dicey to find a competent agent, and one wrong keystroke will irrevocably split the PNR.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by drewguy
Sorry if this is repeating what folks already know, but new to me. Checked in online (computer, not mobile) for 3-pax itin, one elite (myself). Alerted me to the ability to designate only one companion for upgrades, which it then allowed me to choose from a drop down. I selected one of my companions. The reservation was then split into three PNRs, but my selected companion appeared on the upgrade list with me (just below), and for the return trip also has "CPU requested" (or whatever the language is) showing. It's not clear whether I can move that companion to a different E+ seat online. We'll see if on the return companion appears on upgrade list with me, and where.

The only hiccup was that while the separated non-companion's PNR showed in my account, the retained companion didn't, so I had to log into companion (child's) MP account to get the info to complete checkin. Not sure why I could see one but not the other.

So, so far this seems like exactly the type of behavior that should happen, so long as my designated companion actually retains my status for upgrades. The E+/baggage issue is a possible hassle, but I guess is the cost of having a chance at an upgrade (which in this case is pretty low, with 10/12 booked).
Did the Child show as an option to add to the upgrade list? I have seen consistently when I'm traveling with my son (8), that, during mobile check-in, it asks about putting people on the UG list and only lists me. If we are traveling with my wife (also MP Gold), then it shows the two of us and not my son. I realize that it's not really a problem as I don't want the PNR split, so I don't put myself on the UG list. It just seems to be strange behavior.

Also, answering my earlier question about asking about UG list for CPU, it still asked and I was able to say no and keep the PNR intact.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by tods27
Did the Child show as an option to add to the upgrade list? I have seen consistently when I'm traveling with my son (8), that, during mobile check-in, it asks about putting people on the UG list and only lists me. If we are traveling with my wife (also MP Gold), then it shows the two of us and not my son. I realize that it's not really a problem as I don't want the PNR split, so I don't put myself on the UG list. It just seems to be strange behavior.

Also, answering my earlier question about asking about UG list for CPU, it still asked and I was able to say no and keep the PNR intact.
Yes, but child is 15+ so could sit alone. I've not had a problem even when under 15 having her on UG list with me without spouse (either when getting the split right or traveling without spouse).

Though if you and wife are gold you should all be eligible for upgrades (son is companion for one of you). Seems odd he couldn't be a companion for either of you.

I checked in using website though, because the mobile app has been a problem in the past. I may try it next time though . . .
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Yes, but child is 15+ so could sit alone. I've not had a problem even when under 15 having her on UG list with me without spouse (either when getting the split right or traveling without spouse).

Though if you and wife are gold you should all be eligible for upgrades (son is companion for one of you). Seems odd he couldn't be a companion for either of you.

I checked in using website though, because the mobile app has been a problem in the past. I may try it next time though . . .
Maybe I'll try using the website for the return flight and see if it asks then. The mobile app definitely seems to leave him off the list of people who can be put on the UG list.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:47 pm

So reporting back - I think United may have fixed the mess created for splitting.

3 pax RT itin, I'm the only elite. When I checked in online for first flight, it asked which companion I wished to designate as my "companion". Reservation split into 3 PNRs. My designated companion appeared on upgrade list right below me. However, all three passengers had BG 1.

On return, my designated companion *also* appeared right next to me on UG list, and all three of us had BG1 status. In addition, I was able to switch E+ seats for my other companion without getting a charge for it, which used to be the case.

So, it seems that UA properly allows all pax on the original PNR to retain the elite benefits "inherited" from the status passenger, and only limits the CPU benefit to one pax. This is a very positive step if others can verify it.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA
So reporting back - I think United may have fixed the mess created for splitting.

So, it seems that UA properly allows all pax on the original PNR to retain the elite benefits "inherited" from the status passenger, and only limits the CPU benefit to one pax. This is a very positive step if others can verify it.
I verify it. Same thing happened to me on a 3-pax itinerary 2 weeks ago. Split into 3 PNRs on the outbound, all benefits remained throughout the voyage. Even the baggage allowance remained correct (UA Gold)--2 x 70 lbs for all three, which in the past has been troublesome. I was very impressed--and relieved.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Apologies if this has been answered - I only have my phone and gave up after painfully reading 20 pages.

I rarely fly UA, but have Silver status via Marriott. On our flight down to STT, the gate agent split the records for me and MsCP and we upgraded the IAD-STT leg.

Our return is 2 days away, sitting in E with plenty of E+ seats available. As of now, the only way to change E seats is to go in and manage reservations/change seats one at a time.

At T-24, will MsCP keep my status and be able to select an E+ seat? Will I be able to change both seats at the same time, online? Or will I risk changing one of two and someone else takes the seat next to it before I get to the other record?

I assume we’ll be on the upgrade list together, though we may be split with one upgraded, correct? Only one checked bag, so no issue there.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CPRich
Apologies if this has been answered - I only have my phone and gave up after painfully reading 20 pages.

I rarely fly UA, but have Silver status via Marriott. On our flight down to STT, the gate agent split the records for me and MsCP and we upgraded the IAD-STT leg.

Our return is 2 days away, sitting in E with plenty of E+ seats available. As of now, the only way to change E seats is to go in and manage reservations/change seats one at a time.

At T-24, will MsCP keep my status and be able to select an E+ seat? Will I be able to change both seats at the same time, online? Or will I risk changing one of two and someone else takes the seat next to it before I get to the other record?

I assume we’ll be on the upgrade list together, though we may be split with one upgraded, correct? Only one checked bag, so no issue there.
MsCP may not be able to select E+ for free at T-24. Best way to accomplish this will be to call at T-24 and have an agent reseat you both (this is not a problem as 2 E+ for silver at T-24 applies to you and any guest - regardless of ticketing arrangement - as long as you are on the same flight). This will also prevent the situation you describe above from happening.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

Once the record is split it is split. You can call to get the 2 E+ seats at T-24. At the airport you can have them add MsCP to the UG list (if you find a willing agent).
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:05 am

My recent experience suggests you should both be able to select E+ seats on the return at T-24, although you will have to do it separately for each reservation.

What you mention is a risk (that exists even if the reservation isn't split), but I suggest you both have the United app, log into your respective accounts, and then choose seats roughly simultaneously.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Any other data points on if inheriting status is now staying intact when splitting?

Have 3 seats left and two of us with RPUs (me 1K; SO Gold). E+ looks quite empty but since it's an A320 probably need to split if they clear one at a time. Don't want to mess up the return though. Wondering if I should wait until T-24 and then check-in and split then or just split closer to T-36.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Duke777
Any other data points on if inheriting status is now staying intact when splitting? ...
Promising experiences posted earlier in this thread
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Any other data points on if inheriting status is now staying intact when splitting?
I'll let y'all judge whether or not this is relevant.

I recently flew LAX-SEA via SFO on July 12th and back on July 20th with mrs. iapetus and the iapetus jrs. Thinking primarily about maximizing our upgrade chances, I split the PNR: my wife and son on one, my daughter and me on the other. mrs. iapetus, owing to my 1 MM status is also a 1K. None of us cleared on either outbound leg at T-96h. And, at check-in, all four reservations got split.

At T-96h everyone but my son cleared SEA-SFO on the return. And we all cleared SFO-LAX at T-96h. At T-24h, my son had still not cleared SEA-SFO and went on the waitlist for that flight. At some point prior to check-in, I managed to change his seat from one E+ seat to another (knowing that I would give him my F seat if I cleared, I wanted to make sure that his assigned seat was one I would like). He didn't clear that flight. Finally, I was able to check both of the iapetus jrs. in via the app at T-24h. I was actually quite surprised to be able to do this; I assumed that the system would "see" them as unaccompanied minors and force us to check them in at the airport.

So make what you will of that. It seems to me that benefits were retained after splitting the PNR. All of the bags were checked in with mrs. iapetus and me; so I can't say if the baggage benefits were retained after the PNR split, but it seems like the system still recognized us as one family of four with 2 1Ks. I really appreciated being able to share the upgrade experience with them all (even if it wasn't the best of upgrade experiences that UA has to offer).
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:41 am

Have 3 seats left and two of us with RPUs (me 1K; SO Gold). E+ looks quite empty but since it's an A320 probably need to split if they clear one at a time. Don't want to mess up the return though. Wondering if I should wait until T-24 and then check-in and split then or just split closer to T-36.
Seems we have at least 3 experiences with 3+ PNRs getting split but pax retaining inherited benefits for return.

However, all three have been a result of the auto-split at check in. Maybe try splitting at T-36 to see whether the result is the same?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.