Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What happened to the 777 IAD - LAX / LAX - IAD? [APPEARS TO BE BACK]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat

Of course just check res and my normal IAD-LAX in Dec and LAX-IAD flights were down gauged from the normal 777 domestic 3 class to a A320.
Anyone know what the hell is going on with this route and/or what options to do for this transcon in anything bigger then a A320?
Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The domestic 777s (and 3 of the yet to be converted to IPTE 777s) are being converted to BF with the old C seats from the ps 757 and 3-3-3 in Y to fly the hub-HNL routes. You will occasionally see an IPTE 777 on the LAX-IAD route repositioning, but the days of the transcon widebody are going away.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halls120
.... but the days of the transcon widebody are going away.
This newUA just keeps getting better doesn't it
Thanks for your reply!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by AZjohns
This newUA just keeps getting better doesn't it
Thanks for your reply!
While I will miss the ghetto birds, at least UA is still flying transcons. We should be happy they aren't making us connect to get to the west coast the way DL and AA do.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
While I will miss the ghetto birds, at least UA is still flying transcons. We should be happy they aren't making us connect to get to the west coast the way DL and AA do.
AA still flies IAD-LAX (3X a day) and they have started DCA-LAX with a 757.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Of course just check res and my normal IAD-LAX in Dec and LAX-IAD flights were down gauged from the normal 777 domestic 3 class to a A320.
Anyone know what the hell is going on with this route and/or what options to do for this transcon in anything bigger then a A320?
Thanks
This is a little misleading. UA flies the int'l (3-class) configurd 777s on this route all year round. Lately I've seen some swaps. It could be because the 777s are going in for conversion. This route traditionally gets the old configured flights.

It seems to be a seasonal change as I looked at some random dates in March and April and the 777 comes back for the 5:35pm flight. Not cool if you're flying during the winter though - love flying the 777 as it's easier to get upgrades.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by mh3265a

It seems to be a seasonal change as I looked at some random dates in March and April and the 777 comes back for the 5:35pm flight.
Maybe. But don't be surprised if the reinstatement of three-class 777s transcon never happens. The equivalent frames that allow those domestic tags (also ORD-DEN v v) are to be converted to upgraded 2-class planes. Once that's done: not much slack in the Atlantic rotations for the XDs, and no more XCs................
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Not cool if you're flying during the winter though - love flying the 777 as it's easier to get upgrades.
Yea, this is Dec and Feb for me and used miles for GF: ZRH-IAD=LAX-IAD-ZRH. Feel a total waste of miles now.

I have flow this old config for years now between IAD/LAX and yes, getting UG'ed to C is great on this route and just can't believe it is getting down gauged after all this time (it has always been full).

But just follows everything else this past 5 months...
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Yea, this is Dec and Feb for me and used miles for GF: ZRH-IAD=LAX-IAD-ZRH. Feel a total waste of miles now.

I have flow this old config for years now between IAD/LAX and yes, getting UG'ed to C is great on this route and just can't believe it is getting down gauged after all this time (it has always been full).

But just follows everything else this past 5 months...
Why not change it to ZRH-LHR/FRA-LAX then?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Why not change it to ZRH-LHR/FRA-LAX then?
Just looked it up and new UA wants to charge extra 12.5K miles for the ZRH-FRA/LHR per leg. So, that and extra 50K for my wife and I and too pissed right now to be whipped into submission to spend that extra for their change.

But, I do appreciate your idea on a solution trekwars2000
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
As CO never, or extremely rarely, flew wide bodies domestically, should it really be a surprise that model has been carried over to COdbaUA? And, I'll say it, since no self-respecting FT thread is complete without it...it's not a "change I will like," Jeff.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Yeah COs management has never been fond of using wide-bodies on anything but long haul, so no surprise that the pmUA tradition of having wide bodies on domestic routes is going away.

Next time you're at EWR, just look at how many widebodies are just parked gathering dust and waiting for their intl run rather than being utilized for a turn domestically. I laugh when people said CO had the highest utilization of all the airlines....

UAPremierGuy, Jinx! I think I owe ya a soda...

Last edited by UAL4life; Jul 14, 2012 at 2:03 pm
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by cova
AA still flies IAD-LAX (3X a day) and they have started DCA-LAX with a 757.
True, but they don't fly IAD-SAN, IAD-SFO and IAD-SEA. I wish they would - maybe after they merge with US?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I flew the 777 IAD-LAX in Business back in May. Like myself, there were plenty of passengers connecting to the 744 flight down to SYD.

It struck me as strange that there was no choice of meal in Business on the 777 IAD-LAX flight. Everyone in Business got what was described as a filet mignon. However, there was a choice of meals on my return flight on a 757 in First.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Nuts! I just lost two 777 biz seats LAX-IAD in November because of this change. Swapped into domestic F on a 320 . I specifically structured the trip around the 777 to get the better seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.