Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

E-Travel Certificates - Use After Expiration?

Old Jul 14, 12, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXC PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt PLT, National Car Executive

I have a UA e-travel certificate from 2011 program that supposedly expired on June 28, 2012. But when I went to UA to apply the certificate on a reservation, it worked. I still have a remaining balance left on it and want to know if anyone else came across this? Is it because of the computer merger that the 2011 e-certs got a stand of expatriation?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 14, 12 at 6:52 am Reason: poor thread title
Old Jul 14, 12, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerroranda View Post
I have a UA e-travel certificate from 2011 program that supposedly expired on June 28, 2012. But when I went to UA to apply the certificate on a reservation, it worked. I still have a remaining balance left on it and want to know if anyone else came across this? Is it because of the computer merger that the 2011 e-certs got a stand of expatriation?
No. The e-Cert has a 30 days grace period after expiration, but not everyone knows about it.
Old Jul 14, 12, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXC PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt PLT, National Car Executive
Thanks now I know. Much appreciated.
Old Jul 14, 12, 12:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
No. The e-Cert has a 30 days grace period after expiration, but not everyone knows about it.
PMUA e-certs expiring prior to 12/31/12 might actually expire 12/31/12
Old Jul 14, 12, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
I forgot a paper voucher and realize it before expiring in two days. Called UA but they won't take my booking as it won't arrive before/on expiration date. They explained to me the voucher can be ticketed one month after expiration but travel has to be completed within three months of voucher original expiration date.

Didn't know about the expiration date means UA has to physically have the voucher, also didn't know about the one month extension and three months completion of travel.

Glad that's my last paper voucher to deal with.
Old Jul 14, 12, 1:51 pm

Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 12, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN
Originally Posted by wendySFO View Post
They explained to me the voucher can be ticketed one month after expiration but travel has to be completed within three months of voucher original expiration date.
The three-month rule was made up by the agent. I've used several paper vouchers to travel more than 6 months after expiration, including after the conversion to SHARES. The only thing that matters is the ticketing date. Call again and don't tell them when it expires.
Old Jul 14, 12, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
Call again and don't tell them when it expires.
I don't think I ever used a voucher when they didn't ask for the expiration date.
Old Apr 7, 13, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Is this still the policy?
Old Apr 7, 13, 1:51 am

Programs: United 1k, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
Is this still the policy?
It is. I tried calling (with a cert that expired i think in January) last week. I asked the agent if there was any way she could apply it, and she said they can use 30 days after the expiration, but that I was out of luck.
Old Apr 7, 13, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lilpisher View Post
It is. I tried calling (with a cert that expired i think in January) last week. I asked the agent if there was any way she could apply it, and she said they can use 30 days after the expiration, but that I was out of luck.
Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 14, 10:48 am

Expired United Airline Credit

Hi, I received $300 credit from United Airline last year to gave up my seat on an overbooked flight and I just realized the voucher expired last month! Any ideas or suggestions as to how I can get that credit extended?
Old Sep 23, 14, 10:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Welcome to FT!, jcblubear

Believe expired certs can be used up to 30 days past expiration, after that I would suspect there is no further grace period.
Old Sep 23, 14, 10:59 am

Thank you for your response!
Old Sep 23, 14, 11:26 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Welcome to FT!, jcblubear

Believe expired certs can be used up to 30 days past expiration, after that I would suspect there is no further grace period.
I can confirm the 30 day grace period but suffice it to say, the 30 day expiration may/may not be etched in stone so if you have gone past the 30 days, before you toss the e-cert, it's worth a quick check on a dummy booking YMMV but still worth a check

Search this Thread
Search Engine: