Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

E-Travel Certificates - Use After Expiration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E-Travel Certificates - Use After Expiration?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:36 am

Ohhh you just gave me hope! What's a dummy booking? I'm a newb when it comes to booking travels.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:51 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by jcblubear
Ohhh you just gave me hope! What's a dummy booking? I'm a newb when it comes to booking travels.
A dummy booking is nothing more than going all the way thru the booking process (including putting in any applicable e-cert info) up to the purchase screen but not selecting "purchase" as you are then able to see if the cert is valid and what the fare would be with the cert applied (and if it works, shhhhh )
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Requesting extension on E-cert voucher

I have an e-cert voucher from UA (remaining value from a cancelled fare) that expires in Nov (was issued last Nov). Is it possible for me to request extension on it for few more months?

Does this expiration date mean the travel needs to be started by this date or it's the booking date?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm assuming you mean a voucher from a scenario where you canceled a non-refundable ticket, re-booked something else at a lower fare, and got a voucher for the difference. Is that correct?

If I'm correct above, then it should be a TCV, and AFAIK, I believe you just need to use it to pay for a new flight by the expiry date, but travel does not need to be completed by that date..
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
.... Does this expiration date mean the travel needs to be started by this date or it's the booking date?
Travel needs to be booked prior to the "expiration", travel can be post expiration. However there has historically been an automatic one month grace period after the shown expiration.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I'm assuming you mean a voucher from a scenario where you canceled a non-refundable ticket, re-booked something else at a lower fare, and got a voucher for the difference. Is that correct?

If I'm correct above, then it should be a TCV, and AFAIK, I believe you just need to use it to pay for a new flight by the expiry date, but travel does not need to be completed by that date..

You are correct. It was issued in the circumstances described above. So I suppose it is a TCV. Any chances of getting a longer extension period? Having switched to AA, I rarely fly UA anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.