CPU/UDU on award ticket?

Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
CPU/UDU on award ticket?

Apologize if this was discussed prior, haven't been on FT much lately. Did a quick search and didn't find any mentions.

I was just upgraded LAX-JAC on an award flight as 1P. Doesn't look to be op-up as economy is wide open.

Is this now standard procedure? In any case, I like it. ^^
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
you have UA credit card?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
You can be upgraded on award tickets if you have one of several UA branded credit cards. Only good for you..no companions.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
That explains it, thanks. Worth keeping the card.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PCTraveler
That explains it, thanks. Worth keeping the card.
This benefit is exactly why I have the card, but obviously it's not a very well advertised benefit if people are still not expecting to get upgrades on award tickets...even as a "lowly 2P", I've been upgraded on award tickets 4 times since December so it does work, sometimes...there is a huge thread about this in the old Continental forum btw if you want to read some of the experiences (good and bad) people have had with this "benefit".
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
worked for both of us

Just did a RT LIH to SFO award and we were upgraded to "F" both ways. My husband is the primary UC card holder. I used two PNRs and miles from his account, as other posters have indicated that seems to help?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond
Does the old Mileage Plus Select Card get this benefit?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ToneDaBass
I think it needs to be the Explorer or United Club Card....the Presidential Plus Mastercard's from the "old" Continental days seem to work as well....I think they were suppose to be automatically transferred into Explorer cards
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by ToneDaBass
The the section titled Upgrading Award Tickets

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I think it needs to be the Explorer or United Club Card....the Presidential Plus Mastercard's from the "old" Continental days seem to work as well....I think they were suppose to be automatically transferred into Explorer cards
I managed to keep my old UA VISA card (2 miles for each $ of spend) along with the new Explorer Card.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
....the Presidential Plus Mastercard's from the "old" Continental days seem to work as well....I think they were suppose to be automatically transferred into Explorer cards
The Continental Airlines Presidential Plus MasterCard continues as a MileagePlus Presidential Plus MasterCard as long as the cardholder continues to renew and does not request a change.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
sweet, just happened to me for the first time. hadn't realized this was a benefit of the Explorer card.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by mmack
Just did a RT LIH to SFO award and we were upgraded to "F" both ways. My husband is the primary UC card holder. I used two PNRs and miles from his account, as other posters have indicated that seems to help?
Did you automatically appear on the CPU list, or did you request GA to manually add you? I've read some threads where GAs refuse to believe that award tickets are eligible for CPU.

I did receive the close-in booking fee waiver when I booked award travel from my own account, so presumably UA knows that I have UA Club Card. One would think this would transfer over when compiling the CPU list, but with all the IT snafus, I am skeptical.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.