In-flight crew efforts to bridge the gap

Old Jul 9, 12, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

In-flight crew efforts to bridge the gap

It seems that there is a growing number of in-flight crew who are fed up with the us v them mentality of the two sides of the company. Some FAs have launched a simple program to have crew members trade their scarves or ties with members from the "other side." The goal is to get to a more unified and friendly place for all the crew much more quickly than union contract negotiations can ever realize.

I'm supporting the effort and hopeful that it is successful. They seem to have a decent bit of momentum and growing quickly given that they just started last week.

More details:
United in-flight crews make efforts to bridge labor strife
Facebook Page
Twitter Account
Old Jul 9, 12, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
It's amazing the company still hasn't standardized uniforms, and they still refer to the divisions as sUA and sCO.

Those efforts would help reduce some of the bickering.

It's good to see some of Jeff's co-workers taking it into their own hands.
Old Jul 9, 12, 9:21 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What do the little s's stand for? (I could use my imagination, I guess, but is it really a word not allowed on FT?)
Old Jul 9, 12, 9:26 am

If you have employees that cannot work together and who function under different CBA's, there's no reason to pretend that you've merged the operation by going to a single uniform. That's just more window dressing. When the groups are finally merged, CBA's are finalized, single uniforms will be worn and I suspect that a great deal of this "ex-" rubbish will end.
Old Jul 9, 12, 9:30 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
What do the little s's stand for? (I could use my imagination, I guess, but is it really a word not allowed on FT?)
LOL s is for subsidiary. But thanks for the laugh!
Old Jul 9, 12, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by EWR756 View Post
If you have employees that cannot work together and who function under different CBA's, there's no reason to pretend that you've merged the operation by going to a single uniform. That's just more window dressing. When the groups are finally merged, CBA's are finalized, single uniforms will be worn and I suspect that a great deal of this "ex-" rubbish will end.
I suspect you'll have unified uniforms well before that.

DL/NW certainly did.
Old Jul 9, 12, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by channa View Post

DL/NW certainly did.
They won't be worn by my peers until our CBA is complete. I can't speak for the FA's but our group has been clear on this. It's been addressed.
Old Jul 9, 12, 9:45 am
Suspended

DL/NW certainly did.
I thought it was all taken care of, its very simple its the PMCO uniform with United replacing Continental, no different then the paint job on the planes
Old Jul 9, 12, 9:47 am
Original Poster

It's amazing the company still hasn't standardized uniforms, and they still refer to the divisions as sUA and sCO.
I'm only slightly surprised on the former, not at all on the latter. They have to refer to the divisions as something because they are still operating separately for in-flight operations. Until the CBAs are integrated that's a fact of life.
Old Jul 9, 12, 9:47 am
Suspended

Those efforts would help reduce some of the bickering.

It is unfortunate that action like this must come from the co-workers. It would be legally questionable for the company to support this type of action during negotiations between two separate labor groups.

A standardized uniform would be nice, but again, you have to get the cooperation and approval of two different unions operating under two different contracts.

DL/NW certainly did.
DL/NW didn't have two unions to negotiate with.
Old Jul 9, 12, 11:54 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
It's a start ^ and now if it could continue over so that the "proud Continental crew" announcements go the way of the dinosaurs
Old Jul 9, 12, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie View Post
It's a start ^ and now if it could continue over so that the "proud Continental crew" announcements go the way of the dinosaurs
And the "real United crew" announcements, too. :-:
Old Jul 9, 12, 1:49 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
And the "real United crew" announcements, too. :-:
Haven't heard/read reports of that but I'm old 'n bald so I might have missed it but yes, agreed 100% ^
Old Jul 9, 12, 1:51 pm

^^ Sometimes the best leadership comes from below.
Old Jul 9, 12, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie View Post
Haven't heard/read reports of that but I'm old 'n bald so I might have missed it but yes, agreed 100% ^
I heard it a couple times earlier in the year, right around the same time I started hearing the Proud Continental Crew shtick. I'm sick of both.

Search this Thread