FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   In-flight crew efforts to bridge the gap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1364643-flight-crew-efforts-bridge-gap.html)

sbm12 Jul 9, 2012 9:00 am

In-flight crew efforts to bridge the gap

It seems that there is a growing number of in-flight crew who are fed up with the us v them mentality of the two sides of the company. Some FAs have launched a simple program to have crew members trade their scarves or ties with members from the "other side." The goal is to get to a more unified and friendly place for all the crew much more quickly than union contract negotiations can ever realize.

I'm supporting the effort and hopeful that it is successful. They seem to have a decent bit of momentum and growing quickly given that they just started last week.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan.../07/image9.png

More details:
United in-flight crews make efforts to bridge labor strife
Facebook Page
Twitter Account

channa Jul 9, 2012 9:17 am

It's amazing the company still hasn't standardized uniforms, and they still refer to the divisions as sUA and sCO.

Those efforts would help reduce some of the bickering.

It's good to see some of Jeff's co-workers taking it into their own hands.

MSPeconomist Jul 9, 2012 9:21 am

What do the little s's stand for? (I could use my imagination, I guess, but is it really a word not allowed on FT?)

EWR756 Jul 9, 2012 9:26 am

If you have employees that cannot work together and who function under different CBA's, there's no reason to pretend that you've merged the operation by going to a single uniform. That's just more window dressing. When the groups are finally merged, CBA's are finalized, single uniforms will be worn and I suspect that a great deal of this "ex-" rubbish will end.

Beerman92 Jul 9, 2012 9:30 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 18895979)
What do the little s's stand for? (I could use my imagination, I guess, but is it really a word not allowed on FT?)

LOL s is for subsidiary. But thanks for the laugh! :D

channa Jul 9, 2012 9:31 am

Originally Posted by EWR756 (Post 18896005)
If you have employees that cannot work together and who function under different CBA's, there's no reason to pretend that you've merged the operation by going to a single uniform. That's just more window dressing. When the groups are finally merged, CBA's are finalized, single uniforms will be worn and I suspect that a great deal of this "ex-" rubbish will end.

I suspect you'll have unified uniforms well before that.

DL/NW certainly did.

EWR756 Jul 9, 2012 9:43 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 18896038)

DL/NW certainly did.

They won't be worn by my peers until our CBA is complete. I can't speak for the FA's but our group has been clear on this. It's been addressed.

craz Jul 9, 2012 9:45 am

DL/NW certainly did.

I thought it was all taken care of, its very simple its the PMCO uniform with United replacing Continental, no different then the paint job on the planes

sbm12 Jul 9, 2012 9:47 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 18895963)
It's amazing the company still hasn't standardized uniforms, and they still refer to the divisions as sUA and sCO.

I'm only slightly surprised on the former, not at all on the latter. They have to refer to the divisions as something because they are still operating separately for in-flight operations. Until the CBAs are integrated that's a fact of life.

sxf24 Jul 9, 2012 9:47 am

Those efforts would help reduce some of the bickering.

It is unfortunate that action like this must come from the co-workers. It would be legally questionable for the company to support this type of action during negotiations between two separate labor groups.

A standardized uniform would be nice, but again, you have to get the cooperation and approval of two different unions operating under two different contracts.

DL/NW certainly did.

DL/NW didn't have two unions to negotiate with.

goalie Jul 9, 2012 11:54 am

It's a start ^ and now if it could continue over so that the "proud Continental crew" announcements :td: go the way of the dinosaurs

sbm12 Jul 9, 2012 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 18896941)
It's a start ^ and now if it could continue over so that the "proud Continental crew" announcements :td: go the way of the dinosaurs

And the "real United crew" announcements, too. :-:

goalie Jul 9, 2012 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18897655)
And the "real United crew" announcements, too. :-:

Haven't heard/read reports of that but I'm old 'n bald so I might have missed it ;) but yes, agreed 100% ^

halls120 Jul 9, 2012 1:51 pm

^^ Sometimes the best leadership comes from below.

sbm12 Jul 9, 2012 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 18897745)
Haven't heard/read reports of that but I'm old 'n bald so I might have missed it ;) but yes, agreed 100% ^

I heard it a couple times earlier in the year, right around the same time I started hearing the Proud Continental Crew shtick. I'm sick of both.