Search

ORD - TLV ... Best options/Routing?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP 1K

<Mods, feel free to move to necessary forum>

Going in October. I'm trying to figure out the best routing/equipment/timing, etc.
I would obviously prefer to stay on *A, while earning PQM's.

There is a EWR-TLV flight on the 777-2, but I don't think those are flatbed seats, and for a 10 hour flight, I have to imagine there are better options.

Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Those 777s are flatbed (they're PMCO), and they're nice.

Another good option would be to take LX from ORD, connect in ZRH (I'm assuming they fly to TLV from there). Nicer connection, avoids EWR.

(if you specify if you're buying C vs. buying Y and upgrading to C, that changes the story greatly).
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Many options on the route. You could also do LH via FRA or AC via YYZ.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC

(if you specify if you're buying C vs. buying Y and upgrading to C, that changes the story greatly).

As usual, it all depends! If reasonable fairs are available, then buying C is always better than upgrading. If reasonable fairs are available on LX, well, it almost becomes a no-brainer?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ORD Punk
As usual, it all depends! If reasonable fairs are available, then buying C is always better than upgrading. If reasonable fairs are available on LX, well, it almost becomes a no-brainer?
Great point - for C, I'd put LX first, then AC, then maybe TK (IF it's on their new A330/777 product, not the old A340 seats), then a tossup between UA and LH.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Great point - for C, I'd put LX first, then AC, then maybe TK (IF it's on their new A330/777 product, not the old A340 seats), then a tossup between UA and LH.
Isn't flying from IST to TLV a huge PITA?

Last year I flew AA to BRU and then LY to TLV. ON the way home I went LY TLV- EWR and then UA back to ORD.

I much prefer to get the short hop out of the way first, and then onto the final destination. Although stopping in Zurich probably wouldn't be so bad...
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
I'd agree LX C is probably the best of the bunch, followed by TK TATL.

I've not done the IST-TLV route but C on their other short haul routes is fairly basic 3-3 with the narrower middle seat blocked and no IFE, so you might want to check that leg carefully.

I've not been to the ZRH lounge, but onboard service with LX is excellent. The IST lounge is fantastic (including day rooms if you've got a >4 hr layover), onboard service can be a little mixed.

No idea if security for TLV is worse in ZRH or IST.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alex_b
I'd agree LX C is probably the best of the bunch, followed by TK TATL.

I've not done the IST-TLV route but C on their other short haul routes is fairly basic 3-3 with the narrower middle seat blocked and no IFE, so you might want to check that leg carefully.

I've not been to the ZRH lounge, but onboard service with LX is excellent. The IST lounge is fantastic (including day rooms if you've got a >4 hr layover), onboard service can be a little mixed.

No idea if security for TLV is worse in ZRH or IST.
Actually the best Biz or Coach seat is on US non-stop out of PHL bar none. Until PMCO 777s get E+ and a person can get it US beats PMCO hands down IMO
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:49 pm
BCH

Beware Lufthansa's Munich-Tel Aviv in business. It used to use widebody planes with long-haul business seating. Now it uses A320 with the same seats as in economy, but middle seat removed.

Your best bet is probably ORD-ZRH-TLV (arriving in Tel Aviv at a very decent 2:40pm) and return the same way. SWISS uses A330's with brand-new long-haul business beds. (This was not the case last year, when TLV was the last route with outdated, falling at the seam "cradle" seats.)
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I have not flown Swiss in business but EWR to TLV on pmCO 777-200 is very nice; the seats are true lie flat, nice AVOD, the meal is very nice and it is BF service with 2 BF cabins. The second one is smaller and little more intimate albeit closer to coach.
The crew is very good.
I know connecting in EWR is not the best but the lounge is reasonable and you have showers if needed.
As far as upgrades, you definitely would have to purchase much more expensive fare in *A if you want to upgrade with UA miles.
You could buy a cheap coach and pay miles+copay and hope to be upgraded which has become very difficult on the EWR-TLV route.
I have not flown USAir in Business but their hard product looks really good. Read some of the threads about the poor service, bad wine, subpar meals, etc....
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by keisari
I have not flown Swiss in business but EWR to TLV on pmCO 777-200 is very nice; the seats are true lie flat, nice AVOD, the meal is very nice and it is BF service with 2 BF cabins. The second one is smaller and little more intimate albeit closer to coach.
The crew is very good.
I know connecting in EWR is not the best but the lounge is reasonable and you have showers if needed.
As far as upgrades, you definitely would have to purchase much more expensive fare in *A if you want to upgrade with UA miles.
You could buy a cheap coach and pay miles+copay and hope to be upgraded which has become very difficult on the EWR-TLV route.
I have not flown USAir in Business but their hard product looks really good. Read some of the threads about the poor service, bad wine, subpar meals, etc....
I have flown on all 3 both in Biz and Coach to TLV

just dealing with the comfort of the seat (bear in mind all 3 have Flat Bed seats in Biz) for both Biz and Coach my order prefrence would be US,CO,LX

LX also I dont care for their departure times out of TLV either its 4pm and you overnight @ ZRH or its 5am and you end up getting maybe 3 1/2 hrs of sleep before they wake you up for landing @ ZRH.

With US or CO you have a full 12 hr overnight flight back or CO also has a 11am flight back

Keep in mind I am referring to USs A330-200 aircraft that is only used to LHR,CDG & TLV

CO wil be OK once they get E+ on the 777s but the seat will still be far Inferior to USs coach seat when it comes to comfort of the seat itself
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
I did this via FRA. ORD-FRA on UA in upgraded C. FRA-TLV on LH. I was agonizing for a long time on how to get to TLV, but when my SWUs were able to clear in advance at time of booking on ORD-FRA, this became a no-brainer
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:50 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by ORD Punk
1st choice hands down, LX - they have full flat beds all the way to TLV. LH has the slanted flat beds. I don't know if yr stuck on flying *A but 2nd choice - BA has flight via LHR with a four-class cabin on both flights.

Safe travels!
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
ORD-ZRH-TLV on LX / ORD-FRA-TLV on LH / ORD-YYZ-TLV on AC (zillions of options / if I was paying for it I'd stay off UA till these IROPS are fixed

TK & LO have great C fares
Old Jul 6, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Assuming you are flying in J:
I would recommend ORD - EWR -TLV, ORD-PHL-TLV or ORD-YYZ-TLV. Those flights provide true flat bed seats, reasonable schedules both ways and a long segment where you can sleep.
Flying through ZRH you break the trip into two segments that are two short for a good sleep. The
Westbound segment requires you to be at TLV at 3:00 AM for check.-in.
LH offets an inferior hard product and charges more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.