Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
I came very late to this, but on UA.com there is zero availability showing for NYC-BKK late December. I've tried ex-ORD and SFO as well, but where there are partner flights the results are showing as "mixed cabin" meaning that for the long haul legs the premium cabins (First and Business) are all sold out on partner airlines, for both standard and saver awards. Of course, I could just book standard award on UA, but that's seems like a complete waste.

I don't have KVS to do a cross-check, but this seems odd, even given that I'm looking in a high-demand time frame (and the fact that a lot of seats have been booked, if this thread is any indication). Is it better to call, or do the agents have the same results as I'm seeing online?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:55 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by skipmnyc
I came very late to this, but on UA.com there is zero availability showing for NYC-BKK late December. I've tried ex-ORD and SFO as well, but where there are partner flights the results are showing as "mixed cabin" meaning that for the long haul legs the premium cabins (First and Business) are all sold out on partner airlines, for both standard and saver awards. Of course, I could just book standard award on UA, but that's seems like a complete waste.

I don't have KVS to do a cross-check, but this seems odd, even given that I'm looking in a high-demand time frame (and the fact that a lot of seats have been booked, if this thread is any indication). Is it better to call, or do the agents have the same results as I'm seeing online?
This thread is about SQ inventory which was released in error over the weekend...that inventory is no longer available...the error is fixed.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
This thread is about SQ inventory which was released in error over the weekend...that inventory is no longer available...the error is fixed.
I know that. There are also comments about *net blocking on UA in this thread ... and since I'm not seeing any award inventory for any partner airline (not just SQ), it seems like there is a connection. And since others are still able to book SQ over on Aeroplan, perhaps the problem is not fixed. Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
I know that. There are also comments about *net blocking on UA in this thread ... and since I'm not seeing any award inventory for any partner airline (not just SQ), it seems like there is a connection. And since others are still able to book SQ over on Aeroplan, perhaps the problem is not fixed. Thanks.
Then why don't you check inventory on Aeroplan @:-) or on non-peak time @:-)
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I woudl not be surprised if it was UA doing the blocking becasue they dont want to pay for any more SQ awards. Calling wont make a difference as they see the same thing we do. Air China and ANA still come up for me when booking to Asia
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:25 am

It would be very interesting to know how many MP miles were redeemed in the 24+ hours this deal was going on. Probably a record amount of miles flew out the window.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
About 24 hours ago I was researching some regional flights and SQ C/F was showing. For at least the last 12 hours absolutely NO SQ flights are showing on UA.... Aeroplan is currently showing the SQ availabilty I saw last night on UA, but not since on UA, so it seems UA went overboard and pulled all SQ from their flight search engine.

This is so Jeffed up.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by JetAway
It would be very interesting to know how many MP miles were redeemed in the 24+ hours this deal was going on. Probably a record amount of miles flew out the window.
While more miles that usual were likely redeemed I speculate that it was probably no where near any record number from UA's perspective. From SQ's perspective since they don't normally release much inventory to start with any amount above zero has likely been noticed in a negative light.

FT is just a microcosm of the larger FF population so it's easy to get the inflated impression that because those on FT know about something that millions of other people do too.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by FLYDCA
While more miles that usual were likely redeemed I speculate that it was probably no where near any record number from UA's perspective. From SQ's perspective since they don't normally release much inventory to start with any amount above zero has likely been noticed in a negative light.

FT is just a microcosm of the larger FF population so it's easy to get the inflated impression that because those on FT know about something that millions of other people do too.
True, although each SQ First redemption was around 140,000 miles RT and some people redeemed multiple awards. 500 redemptions (based on the number of individuals who posted here and on travel blogs) would be 70 million miles, as an example. This on top of the "normal' redemption flow.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: United Plat
UA unable to confirm. Next step?

Tuesday morning I made 2 one-way SQ C class reservations on SQ1 and SQ2 (SFO-HKG-SIN). SQ2 reservation was instantly ticketed. SQ1 reservation on United.com has the following message above flight details:

There is a delay in the issuance of your ticket(s). We have requested confirmation of your flights from Singapore Airlines.This process may take up to 24 hours. Your miles will not be deducted from your account until your flights are confirmed and your ticket is issued. We will notify you via email upon confirmation.

This reservation is not ticketed. Pending confirmation from Singapore Airlines
Thank you for choosing United Airlines. Your purchase is confirmed. You will be promptly notified once the internal processing of your reservation has been finalized so that you can request additional receipts, export to Microsoft Outlook, refund or change your flight, view/change seats, check-in, or email or print your itinerary.

Under the flight details, another message:
This flight segment cannot be confirmed. Please contact United Reservations for assistance.

Last night I called United, the agent in India said that only Y class was available that SQ1 flight.

The 24 hours window is up so I have questions:

1. Should I give UA and SQ more time to clean the mess and hopefully they can honor the C class reservation?

2. Is UA supposed send me an email to tell me the reservation with SQ can not be confirmed eventually? Instead of having me keep checking United.com?

3. If I take Y class, how likely the SQ C class award seats will open up later? (I am leaving in later September during mid-week.) Does SQ normally release award C or F seats when approaching the departure date?

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by sfo3388
Tuesday morning I made 2 one-way SQ C class reservations on SQ1 and SQ2 (SFO-HKG-SIN). SQ2 reservation was instantly ticketed. SQ1 reservation on United.com has the following message above flight details:

There is a delay in the issuance of your ticket(s). We have requested confirmation of your flights from Singapore Airlines.This process may take up to 24 hours. Your miles will not be deducted from your account until your flights are confirmed and your ticket is issued. We will notify you via email upon confirmation.

This reservation is not ticketed. Pending confirmation from Singapore Airlines
Thank you for choosing United Airlines. Your purchase is confirmed. You will be promptly notified once the internal processing of your reservation has been finalized so that you can request additional receipts, export to Microsoft Outlook, refund or change your flight, view/change seats, check-in, or email or print your itinerary.

Under the flight details, another message:
This flight segment cannot be confirmed. Please contact United Reservations for assistance.

Last night I called United, the agent in India said that only Y class was available that SQ1 flight.

1. Should I give UA and SQ more time to clean the mess and hopefully they can honor the C class reservation?

2. Is UA supposed send me an email to tell me the reservation with SQ can not be confirmed eventually? Instead of having me keep checking United.com?

3. If I take Y class, how likely the SQ C class award seats will open up later? (I am leaving in later September during mid-week.) Does SQ normally release award C or F seats when approaching the departure date?

Thanks!
How likely is C class to show up later? I'd say pretty much not at all unless SQ changes their system and decides to let partners redeem flights on 'luxury' aircraft (77W and A380).

There is still plenty of phantom availability showing on award booking engines such as awardtrvelr, but it has been pulled from UA.com, and I just called US airways and they can only see coach.

So its a waiting game... hopefully they honor any ticketed reservation (I can't see them not doing that). It seems yours may have slipped through the crack and not been ticketed. Then we have to wait and see ifthey eventually open up award availability once they are satisfied they have suitable controls in place (maybe to make sure that they keep a % of seats for their own members rather than them all being taken by partner FFers).

In your case I'd be looking to secure seats on UA or another star partner if you want confirmed C seats.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sfo3388

Thanks!
1) If it did not ticket before they closed the loop, i doubt its ever going to ticket.

2) In theory, Yes.

3) I'm new to UA so cant annswer that. My guess is after this I dont see them opening anything but Y for a long time to come.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by dsquared37
About 24 hours ago I was researching some regional flights and SQ C/F was showing. For at least the last 12 hours absolutely NO SQ flights are showing on UA.... Aeroplan is currently showing the SQ availabilty I saw last night on UA, but not since on UA, so it seems UA went overboard and pulled all SQ from their flight search engine.

This is so Jeffed up.
There's no complete Starnet blocking since I could search TG readily, but my gut feeling is that SQ has forced UA to completely stop *all* SQ redemptions - regional + premium - until SQ can finally fix their IT systems and go back to the bad ol' days when all you can grab is regional 330 economy.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by miloteddy
I am a lawyer. Good god, SQ would be open to almost all states consumer protection laws if they re-nigged on these reservations. At the very least, UA would be liable, and they would pass it on to SQ. If SQ does try to get out of this, a simple lawyer letter would do the trick. The problem is that the average flyer would not do this. I would. Either UA or sq would remedy the problem.
And ... we wonder why lawyers are often synonymous with ambulance chasers

There have been numerous instances where airlines have refused to honor "mistake" fares.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Red face

Originally Posted by malgudi
And ... we wonder why lawyers are often synonymous with ambulance chasers

There have been numerous instances where airlines have refused to honor "mistake" fares.
Let's just say not all lawyers agree with miloteddy's suggestion. I'm a Plaintiff's lawyer, and in fact laughed at his suggestion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.