FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   [NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1364187-now-expired-sq-releasing-almost-all-f-award-o.html)

FlyerChrisK Jul 7, 2012 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by moa999 (Post 18888660)
You may well get a ticket number in a non-existent ticketing system!... Seems SQ hasn't closed off access whilst they are doing the transfer and I suspect everything has emptied out of the old system

UA awards are issued with UA ticket numbers, not SQ ticket numbers.

apk123 Jul 7, 2012 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 18888664)
UA can overbook its own flights. In other words, a given United flight could be I0/O0 but they can force a booking into the proper fare bucket if they need to. I think this would be a situation where doing so would be a reasonable resolution if SQ fails to honor these tickets.

Unfortunately I don't think we can count on UA to come up with a reasonable resolution :mad:

macdonaldj2 Jul 7, 2012 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by gpeso8 (Post 18888672)
I'm not going to need a visa for the DME stop on IAH-SIN, right?

No you're just transiting in DME. It's not a fun transit point (long story about the last time I was there).

EWR764 Jul 7, 2012 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by apk123 (Post 18888674)
Unfortunately I don't think we can count on UA to come up with a reasonable resolution :mad:

Well, at least it is feasible! ;)

Vunder31 Jul 7, 2012 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 18888664)
UA can overbook its own flights. In other words, a given United flight could be I0/O0 but they can force a booking into the proper fare bucket if they need to. I think this would be a situation where doing so would be a reasonable resolution if SQ fails to honor these tickets.

That's why I cautioned against canceling confirmed partner award space. If this inventory proves to be illusory you'd likely be left without recourse if the partner space disappears.

Agreed. If UA can get you to your destination on its own flights, you should be able to get rebooked fairly easily. If getting there requires a partner flight, on the other hand...
I agree that changing an existing award reservation on partner flights can be risky if UA can't get those seats back for you if SQ backs out.

Should we post this on the SQ board to see what they think about this deal? ;)

snic Jul 7, 2012 9:06 pm

I just changed an award ticket so that now mrs snic is on SQ C JFK-FRA on the A380. I have a (UA) e-ticket, but when I click the link to get the SQ confirmation number, it still shows the confirmation number for the other airline (and none for SQ). But maybe that's to be expected if SQ's system is down.

jasonvr Jul 7, 2012 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Vunder31 (Post 18888699)
Agreed. If UA can get you to your destination on its own flights, you should be able to get rebooked fairly easily. If getting there requires a partner flight, on the other hand...
I agree that changing an existing award reservation on partner flights can be risky if UA can't get those seats back for you if SQ backs out.

Yeah, for me it is just replacing the first two flights in a much larger itinerary. Those flights were UA and would become UA+SQ. There are MANY way that UA can get me to FRA on my chosen date if everything goes FUBAR (IAH, SFO, ORD, IAD). The rest of the itinerary stays untouched (LX, SQ, TG, LH)

Originally Posted by snic (Post 18888707)
I just changed an award ticket so that now mrs snic is on SQ C JFK-FRA on the A380. I have a (UA) e-ticket, but when I click the link to get the SQ confirmation number, it still shows the confirmation number for the other airline (and none for SQ). But maybe that's to be expected if SQ's system is down.

I have an existing itinerary (before this) that includes SQ and it doesn't show my SQ PNR. I had to call for it. The only one that shows is LX for some reason (and not the other 3 airlines that are on the itinerary)

Vunder31 Jul 7, 2012 9:11 pm

SQ revenue management checking booking logs and F class inventory after the reservation system change: Whisky Tango Foxtrot !!!!! ;)

I believe that UA has to pay SQ for these seats, right?
I would guess that a lot of award bookings would normally offset (SQ members booking UA flights and UA members booking SQ flights), but I'm pretty sure that SQ won't get paid the full F class fare for the increased number of F class bookings now.
UA has to pay SQ for the bookings, but SQ can't sell those seats as regular tickets. Both airlines lose...

mike_L Jul 7, 2012 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by snic (Post 18888707)

Not exactly related to this. I booked an award flight with a few legs on SQ 7 days ago. THe confirmation # never showed up, while other airline confirmation #s were there. I called UA, and the agent did not know either.

Then I called SQ and got my confirmation # and seat assignment. You might need to call SQ to find it out.

gpeso8 Jul 7, 2012 9:16 pm

It's going to be interesting to see what happens if UA(etc)/SQ fails to honor these tickets, it seems like some of the people on flyertalk and on boarding area are changing already ticketed awards.

Some of the blogs should probably have some disclaimer to warn people that if they change previously ticketed awards that this could mess up a holiday. Lucky, for one doesn't mention this at all...

fandu Jul 7, 2012 9:19 pm

Has someone tried to call US to book on SQ? I don't have UA miles but tons of US miles.

mgm321 Jul 7, 2012 9:20 pm

SQ isn't really loosing full fare revenue here. It's not leaking it's revenue buckets to UA redemptions, just it's own miles redemption bucket. To verify try booking 4F mileage seats on a date when 4 revenue seats are available.

newbieflyer1 Jul 7, 2012 9:20 pm

i am trying on ua website not able to see any flights.should i search in singapore airlines website

J.Edward Jul 7, 2012 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by fandu (Post 18888764)
Has someone tried to call US to book on SQ? I don't have UA miles but tons of US miles.

etsmyers had the same situation.

1. Use united.com to locate award space on SQ.
2. Note the flight numbers, dates, times, etc.
3. Call into US, reference the flights you want, have US sell them into a PNR, and then issue the ticket.

That should do it!

gpeso8 Jul 7, 2012 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by newbieflyer1 (Post 18888774)
i am trying on ua website not able to see any flights.should i search in singapore airlines website

It's still wide open for me....