Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
FYI no SQ flights are currently visible in AMADEUS.
That means those ticketed by UA probably are not truly ticketed.

Then if SQ does not honor those bookings, I hope the refund of miles is not as bad as people have been experiencing on canceled awards.

Good luck to all who have ticketed.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:34 pm

I figured I would take my chances and booked it even though I know the probability is low that SQ will accept all these bookings. I can't imagine they would take the hit on all the revenue lost giving this many free tickets away.

What I'm curious about is what in SQ's systems allowed this to happen? One would think during the switchover they're doing, they would not allow any inventory to be shown to anyone. Or is this a UA error?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by ConnFlyer
Or is this a UA error?
I'm thinking it's a UA error. I can't find SQ inventory (revenue or award) through any other channel at the moment.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Oh man I already have an award booked on different carriers and it would have been nice to do it on SQ instead... but too afraid to lose both the SQ and original award so won't be making any changes
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I am currently on the phone changing an award booking, the agent says "She sees the 2 F seats I see on-line"

Don't fail me now! OP, I think I love you.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
That is incorrect. Aeroplan also shows routings available. I just cancelled a UA award and booked on Aeroplan...alao cancelled 2 other tickets and getting M+ to manually redeposit for rebooking...

so far so good...
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:54 pm

Are there DOT protections in this case? Technically, I did receive ticket numbers. Can this be counted like a revenue ticket?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:58 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by ConnFlyer
What I'm curious about is what in SQ's systems allowed this to happen?
Another factor might be StarNet - the platform which acts as a go-between for the various IT systems of the *A carriers.

To that end, if a carrier request inventory on another *A carrier and StarNet reports a seat exists, that inventory *must* be honored for a set period of time (in most cases I think this guarantee applies for a matter of minutes to allow a CSR to locate seats/awards, sell them into the PNR, and que it up for issue.)

So in our case, *if* UA queried StarNet for SQ award space, and *if* StarNet confirmed the request and UA subsequently sold the award and issued the ticket, I would *guess* the rules of the alliance require the tickets to be honored. (However I certainly stand to be corrected!)

That said, I don't know the details, I don't know how a system migration will affect the "normal" rules, I don't even know if SQ itself sees the reservation as their systems are still in flux, but regardless of what happens, it will certainly be interesting to see how this plays out.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/ 1MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Madone59

Don't fail me now! OP, I think I love you.
Yeah- Thanks. Lucky at Boardingarea.com didn't even have the decency to cite me as the source. Unbelievable, wrong and totally uncool.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by patchan8984
That is incorrect. Aeroplan also shows routings available. I just cancelled a UA award and booked on Aeroplan...alao cancelled 2 other tickets and getting M+ to manually redeposit for rebooking...

so far so good...
Aeroplan will also show the same 'ghost' LH F availability as UA...
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Aeroplan will also show the same 'ghost' LH F availability as UA...
I have a ticket number, and if I understand it correct, SQ tickets immediately and I do have a ticket number. If it was indeed ghost availability, would this have happened?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uapremier
Yeah- Thanks. Lucky at Boardingarea.com didn't even have the decency to cite me as the source. Unbelievable, wrong and totally uncool.
May be you are not the first one to find this glitch?

Lucky does have an acknowledgment at the end of his post to someone, but you may have missed it as you apparently not that person.

He has this: (Tip of the hat to Apurva)

So he does thank Apurva, apparently his tipster who is not you.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:12 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
F only thought right? or has anyone been able to find R class?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by patchan8984
I have a ticket number, and if I understand it correct, SQ tickets immediately and I do have a ticket number. If it was indeed ghost availability, would this have happened?
If there is an error within the UA system that is issuing tickets based on availability that doesn't exist (if SQ doesn't confirm the inventory) then yes, it theoretically could happen.

Look, I booked an itin for myself and I hope they honor it as much as anyone, but I am just trying to caution against too much excitement... a few things about this just do not add up.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
So I just got 2 seats off UA SFO-ICN and onto SQ15 (for me +1) that work with my connection out of ICN. Ticketed and ready to roll.

I called SQ to get seats, and there was an auto announcement that they are changing computer systems between 18:00 and 22:00.

This may be too good to be true. Those who know more than me, can they claw these seats back?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.