Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Having a classic first world problem here. Definitely want to do NYC-SIN. Should I do JFK-FRA-SIN in J to experience the A380 for the first time, or EWR-SIN in J for the novelty of the longest flight in the world?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by iceman77_7
Having a classic first world problem here.

Definitely want to do NYC-SIN. Should I do JFK-FRA-SIN in J to experience the A380 for the first time, or EWR-SIN in J for the novelty of the longest flight in the world?
From the reports I've read, it sounds like EWR-SIN makes for a more intimate experience. An all C config sounds pretty interesting, and, as you said, the novelty of the world's longest flight is why I booked that flight over the A380.

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Jul 8, 2012 at 1:57 am
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:39 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Having a classic first world problem here. Definitely want to do NYC-SIN. Should I do JFK-FRA-SIN in J to experience the A380 for the first time, or EWR-SIN in J for the novelty of the longest flight in the world?
EWR-SIN. Who knows how long it will be around (I swear I read rumors about SQ dumping it/lack of profitability), but the 380 will be around for quite some time and easier and easier to get as more and more of them fly.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:48 am

3 Lil Ab's in BKK presently & GF from NRT-SFO (waitlisted IN & ON) BKK-NRT for 70k each, a week from now. Can grab almost any day SQ from BKK-SIN-LAX/SFO in BF for 60 miles each.
Would a responsible & loving husband and father make the switch?
Not with a system at SQ shut down and a give-a-way of tons of seats in the front of the aircraft possibly due to some buggered snafu, while their booking system is temporarily suspended.

These itins might stick and then again they might not, but I ain't taking ANY chances especially with UA as the middle-man.

If someone really wants professional advise, about this matter, call the 1K line, while waiting in line at McDonalds, and ask Ronald while he's talking your order, on the speaker gismo, if you should have any concerns about booking these flights!

I seriously hope everything works out for everyone.!!!^

Last edited by LilAbner; Jul 8, 2012 at 2:00 am
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have the return SIN-FRA-JFK in A380. Cannot get the SQ26 thru flight, have to do an overnight at FRA. Also cannot get SIN-EWR on the date(s) I want. On another itinerary I have LH A380 and SQ A380. I find this amusing.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:15 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by piemel
Booked May 2013

SFO-SIN-DPS
SIN-SFO

All in F, 2 people.

Figured since I have my wedding in late April I might as well jump on this And book my honeymoon.

Wasn't able to select seats though which confuses me
I decided to fly back from BKK rather than SIN

First a week in Bali for scuba then a week Thailand for same....

SQ1 and SQ 946 to DPS
And return is Thai TG606 connecting with SQ2 HKG to SFO

refund process of original ticket was a breeze

I'm stunned

Edit: and I'm getting a crash course in booking award travel as I had no idea that you get a stopover for free... So I booked DPS BKK as well. Again refunding process was easy.

SFO SIN DPS
DPS BKK
BKK SFO

Thanks OP!

Last edited by piemel; Jul 8, 2012 at 2:57 am
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:37 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Thanks

I just booked BKK-HKG-SFO in TG/SQ F on united.com. We'll see if it tickets. Thanks OP!

Edited to add: Got an e-ticket number (016) within five minutes, so that's a good sign. Now let's see if it holds.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:39 am

Programs: AA PLT; SPG GLD; HLT GLD
Originally Posted by amolkold
Again, I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy, but I've had UA assign me seats on *A partners on reservations that ultimately did not ticket. I don't think a seat assignment means ticketing has gone through (it could, but I don't think it's solid confirmation).

I have a one-way F reservation that I'm hoping goes through, but if it doesn't, I won't be mad.
To tell you in perfect honesty, I would be quite fine if it didn't go through as well. In my opinion, worst thing that could happen- I need to buy Y tickets which I was originally planning to do anyway.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 2:51 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Zoui21
To tell you in perfect honesty, I would be quite fine if it didn't go through as well. In my opinion, worst thing that could happen- I need to buy Y tickets which I was originally planning to do anyway.
I'm in a good situation too. I already have CX J tickets, but sure would like to experience SQ F or J. I'll gladly pay the $40 cancellation fee with BA if the SQ flights work out.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:09 am

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)/NZ Gold (*G)
hmmm I've jumped on the bandwagon. Was going to try book a trip to Europe next year anyways.

Planned it all out to fly TG A380 into FRA but I figured to give SQ a go. I went for business class though and not first (since it seems business has been available on some routes rarely).

US airways did my booking in about 40 minutes. Gave me an amadeus locator for my SQ bookings. Seems to have appeared on checkmytrip so lets see what happens. If it gets cancelled i'll go back to my original TG plan haha
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:12 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
I booked FIVE itins almost depleting my United account, which I wanted to do anyway...

ORD(UA)-EWR-SIN-MLE-SIN-LAX x TWO TRIPS! Once in November and another in Febrary! 120,000 miles in F! (SIN-MLE in C)

IAH-DME-SIN-SYD-SIN-HKG-SFO - F/C

JFK-FRA-NCE(LH) F/C

JFK-FRA-SIN-SYD-HKG-SFO! (NYE) F/C

All 016 UA ticket nos, no SQ conf nos.

I tried to squeeze one more in but locked me out...anyone else?

UG
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:21 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I split the baby here. Just booked EWR-SIN-BKK in SQ J to experience the worlds longest flight, and returning BKK-FRA in TG 380 F and FRA-JFK in SQ 380 J for the A380 experience. All in all a pretty sweet circumnavigation.

I'm not sure if this one will 'stick' with SQ so rather than upgrading an existing reward itinerary (and potentially mucking up an already decent trip) I booked a brand new one for 2013.

Great find uapremier thanks for posting it! ^

SunLover
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:25 am

Booked another ticket, this time in F using US airways dividend miles from LAX-SFO-SIN-BOM-SIN-SFO-LAX.
Domestic legs are on united.
160000 miles and $112.00
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:41 am

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)/NZ Gold (*G)
bah failed

so my booking went through fine it seems. Got SQ confirmation number and all.

my partners on the other hand didn't go through. seats shown as waitlisted. We found 2 seats for all the flights initially. Seemed like when we split the booking to book seperately that really screwed things up......
Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Deal is not dead yet!! :)

Another success story! Though I didn't get the chance to even look at a computer until 10:30p PDT, I was amazed when I caught wind of what was going on. Needless to say – knowing how most of these deals end up – I didn't get too excited and figured it would have all been dried up by the time I had finally gotten to notice this brilliance!

But… Never say never! After about 25 minutes of toying with the AP and UA sites I finally came up with something – shhh… don’t tell my award booking clients that I snuck this personal booking in while putting their’s on a short hold.
In short I’ve got myself the following (mixed-class) itinerary for 140k US (instead of 147,500k UA) miles:

YVR-SFO (Y – I can't believe I have to sit in Y!!)
SFO-ICN-SIN (F, 777-300)
SIN-SYD (F, 777-300)
—fun week in SYD—
SYD-SIN (J, 380-800)
SIN-LAX (J, 380-800)
LAX-PHX (F, who cares?)
PHX-YVR (F, who cares?)

A big thank you to Lucky over at the One Mile at a Time blog for the heads up - at least that's where I first read about it!

Anyone joining me for a week in SYD in mid-late February, 2013??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.