FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   [NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1364187-now-expired-sq-releasing-almost-all-f-award-o.html)

lsed Jul 8, 2012 12:10 am

Is this working only for UA? I have 110K US air miles to burn and wondering if anyone else is using other partner miles to book.

miko2a Jul 8, 2012 12:16 am

I just got off the phone trying to change an existing reservation and the agent said it wasn't possible. Even though it shows online. I'm pretty sure he didn't know what he was doing because he was trying to route me through NRT even though I plainly read the routing I was looking at. I know hang up and try again but, will probably just let it rest. I hope this sticks and everyone gets to enjoy their trip on SQ

spideysense Jul 8, 2012 12:19 am

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 18889280)
None of the flights in your routing are on SQ F or SQ suites.

On SQ A380, there's no F. There's R, which is higher than F and unredeemable by non-SQ members (and for SQ members, at highly inflated prices).

Oh ok, I didn't know that, thanks.

If SQ eventually accepts all these reservations that are made, I wonder what would happen if we need to make a change to them. For instance, my SQ flights are to and from LHR and SIN. My flights between LHR and YYZ are with AC. If I change the AC flights to some other ones down the line (without changing the SQ flights) would the ticket have to be re-issued and thus possibly cancelled by SQ? They'd probably look for any reason to cancel them.

Also, I booked the flights through Aeroplan.com and got an E-ticket itinerary/receipt. Does that mean that it is ticketed, or do I need some other sort of confirmation?

FriendlySkies Jul 8, 2012 12:20 am

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 18889286)
Is this working only for UA? I have 110K US air miles to burn and wondering if anyone else is using other partner miles to book.

I've also seen SQ F space on AeroPlan.

Just booked another ticket (EWR-SIN). Now looking at a return to the US with Aeroplan miles.

LufthansaFlyer Jul 8, 2012 12:21 am

Was able to book GRR-IAH-DME-SIN (1.5 hour stop in DME) and then SIN-HKG-SFO-CLE-GRR return (1.5 hr stop in HKG).

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 18889286)

US And aeroplan showing inventory. Even someone on SQ's thread said he saw SQ F on Miles&More.

When I was booking my return with a UA agent, she actually had to call SQ to clear up a glitch and SQ came back confirming the seats...

jasonvr Jul 8, 2012 12:22 am

I'm not seeing any 2x F seat availability on SFO-SIN anymore. But still see lots of places with 1 F seat.

lsed Jul 8, 2012 12:22 am

Thanks for the replies. Will try US Air then.
Would be great if I do redeem something. Never flown F on SQ!

bubster Jul 8, 2012 12:26 am

Updated BLR-FRA-SFO on LH to BLR-SIN-SFO in J. Thank you very much for the heads up. Hope it holds.

FriendlySkies Jul 8, 2012 12:28 am

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer (Post 18889306)
Was able to book GRR-IAH-DME-SIN (1.5 hour stop in DME) and then SIN-HKG-SFO-CLE-GRR return (1.5 hr stop in HKG). Hope the ticketing holds.......

Similar to the RGN deal, the US DOT should be able to get involved with SQ if they cancel tickets that touch US soil.

Sykes Jul 8, 2012 12:32 am

Originally Posted by spideysense (Post 18889300)
If SQ eventually accepts all these reservations that are made, I wonder what would happen if we need to make a change to them.

Theoretically, you shouldn't have any issues. Reissuing a ticket doesn't affect the booked space ... you shouldn't expect to be able to change the SQ segments (because that inventory will disappear), but changing other segments that are normally widely available should work fine.

There are other things that could go wrong though ...
  • If you ticket on UA, SHARES could drop the segment
  • An inexperienced agent could accidentally drop the SQ segment during a change
  • The eTicket record could become unlinked from the reservation causing SQ's system to cancel the segments
  • Probably more ...

flyer31 Jul 8, 2012 12:36 am

Advice

Never flown SQ in J so I need help, I have a choice of A340 and A380 where A340 is better suited where time of flight is concerned.
Is there a lot of difference between the 2 flights as I am exicted about the A380 but would prefer A340 as the timing is better suited to me.

amolkold Jul 8, 2012 12:38 am

Originally Posted by flyer31 (Post 18889345)
Never flown SQ in J so I need help, I have a choice of A340 and A380 where A340 is better suited where time of flight is concerned.
Is there a lot of difference between the 2 flights as I am exicted about the A380 but would prefer A340 as the timing is better suited to me.

It's the same J product. A340 is an all J aircraft while A380, J is in the front of the upper deck. Go with the better timing.

flyer31 Jul 8, 2012 12:43 am

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 18889347)
It's the same J product. A340 is an all J aircraft while A380, J is in the front of the upper deck. Go with the better timing.

Thanks

Vunder31 Jul 8, 2012 12:44 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 18889323)
Similar to the RGN deal, the US DOT should be able to get involved with SQ if they cancel tickets that touch US soil.

The award tickets are UA ticket, so it would be up to UA to find replacement flights if SQ backs out.

For SQ newbies, this site may be worth a look:
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/index.php

If everything works out, we'll get to try the "Book the Cook" service {link down because of the SQ site maintenance]
Dear UA, this is what an F class menu options should look like :)

Western

U.S. 8 oz. Rib-Eye Steak
U.S. beef steak with creamy green peppercorn sauce, roasted vegetables and garlic-mashed potatoes

Pan-Fried Veal Loin and Braised Veal Cheek
with parsnip purée, fresh garden vegetables and mushroom ragout

Oven-Roasted Free Range Chicken Breast
Tender chicken breast stuffed with baby spinach, ricotta cheese and fresh sage, served with cepe mushrooms and red wine jus, buttered fresh garden vegetables and creamy polenta

Roast Rack of Lamb
New Zealand lamb with mint jus, mesclun salad and thyme-flavoured gratin potatoes

Pan-Seared Chilean Seabass in Bouillabaisse Broth
An adaptation from its Marseillaise original, its broth is flavoured with saffron, white wine and a splash of Pernod. Served with slow-cooked capsicum confit and zucchini pasta.

Seared Salmon Escalope
Norwegian salmon escalope on a warm potato and snake bean salad. With a light dressing of diced tomato, lemon and olive oil.

Boston Lobster Thermidor
Lobster tail sautéed in butter, flambéed in brandy, sprinkled with cheese, and served with creamy mushroom sauce, garlic and spicy mustard, and buttered asparagus

Pappardelle with Seafood
Lobster, scallop and salmon in a mushroom, sun-dried tomatoes and seafood broth, with al dente pappardelle pasta

Roasted Vegetables Salad
A selection of roasted vegetables, avocado and orange, marinated in truffle-perfumed oil, parsley and chives on pan-fried roesti potatoes. Topped with a mesclun salad, shaved Parmesan cheese, and drizzled with fine truffle oil vinaigrette.

Swedish Wholegrain Crisp Bread
A healthy breakfast choice with crisp bread, cottage cheese, rosemary honey-roasted pear and a low fat yoghurt of fresh berries (Breakfast only)

Japanese

Kyo-Kaiseki
A traditional Japanese array of dishes presented in sequence, with ingredients and garnishes reflecting and changing with each season. Designed by Singapore Airlines International Culinary Panel Chef Yoshihiro Murata (inclusive of Breakfast service and available only on flights with duration of 2 hours or more; some items are served at cabin temperature)

Chargrilled Soya-Flavoured Beef
Japanese-style beef, vegetables simmered in mirin, and shimeiji mushroom rice. Designed by Singapore Airlines International Culinary Panel Chef Yoshihiro Murata

Wagyu Sirloin with Eringi Mushroom
Wagyu sirloin with baked eringi mushroom marinated with truffle, garlic and sake, yuzu and light soy sauce, accompanied by green beans and jalapeño salsa, served with steamed rice

Assorted Sushi
Marinated and smoked fish on lightly vinegared Japanese rice (served at cabin temperature)

Chinese

Herbal Chicken in Broth
Steamed chicken in a Chinese herbal broth, fine beans with hon shimeji in XO sauce, and mushroom rice. Designed by Singapore Airlines International Culinary Panel Chef Sam Leong

Steamed Cod in Spinach Sauce
Served with seasonal oriental vegetables, Chinese black mushrooms and egg fried rice. Designed by Singapore Airlines International Culinary Panel Chef Zhu Jun

Braised Pork Ribs in Yellow Bean Sauce
Pork ribs braised with yellow bean, shimeiji mushrooms, carrots and beans, and served with steamed rice

Baked King Prawn with Chilli Sauce
Served with Taiwan cabbage and fragrant steamed rice

Sliced Grouper Congee
Grouper cooked in rice porridge with spring onions and ginger (Breakfast only)

Dim Sum Selection
Selection of dim sum with steamed radish cake (Breakfast only)

Singaporean

Char Siew Wanton Noodle Soup
Honey-roasted pork, shrimp and pork dumplings on noodles in a savoury clear broth

Singapore Bak Kut Teh
Literally 'Meat Bone Tea', a peppery, savoury soup of meaty pork ribs simmered in a broth of herbs and spices, served with rice

Singapore Chicken Rice
Poached chicken, sliced and served on long-grain rice cooked in chicken broth. Accompanied by dark soya sauce, tangy ginger and fresh chilli and lime sauces.

Straits Chinese Chicken Curry
Tender chicken and potato simmered in spicy coconut milk, served with bread rolls and steamed rice

Prawn and Chicken Laksa
Rice noodles in a rich, coconut cream seafood gravy with prawns, chicken, fish cake, deep-fried beancurd and bean sprouts

Singaporean Style Chicken and Lamb Satay
Marinated, skewered and grilled chicken and lamb slices. Served with cucumber, ketupat rice cakes and spicy peanut sauce.

Braised Soya Flavoured Duck with Yam Rice
Duck marinated in a mix of dark soy sauce, spices and Chinese rice wine. Served on fragrant yam rice with chilli sauce.

Nonya Assam Fish
Fish, okra, eggplant and tomato cooked with Assam spices Peranakan style, served with steamed rice

Teo Chew Fish Porridge
Southern Chinese dish of rice porridge of lightly poached fish slices, pickled vegetables, toasted Chinese seaweed, spring onions and Chinese celery. Served with sliced red chilli in soya sauce (inclusive of Breakfast service)

Yu Pian Mi Fen
Singapore style thick rice vermicelli noodle soup with sliced 'Sang Yu' fish and green vegetables. Garnished with spring onions (inclusive of Breakfast service)

Fish Ball Kway Teow Soup
Flat rice noodles and fish balls in chicken broth, bean sprouts, Chinese preserved vegetables (tung chai) and sliced red chilli (inclusive of Breakfast service)

Malay

Lontong Rendang Ayam
Chicken cooked in coconut milk and exotic spices with rice cakes, potato patties and egg

Malay-style Beef Rendang
Tender beef cooked in coconut milk, spices and lemongrass, and served with rice

Grilled Indonesian King Prawn
Spicy prawns with sautéed brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, garlic sauce and microgreens, served with steamed rice

Nasi Lemak
Fragrant rice cooked in coconut milk, accompanied by spicy sambal prawns, fried chicken, fried anchovies with peanuts, spicy pickled vegetables (achar), an omelette wedge, and grilled fish cakes (otah) (inclusive of Breakfast service)

Thai

Duck in Red Thai Curry
A red curry with duck, served with steamed rice and vegetables

Steamed Cod Fish
A traditional dish of cod steamed with spicy lime sauce, served with shredded white cabbage, carrot julienne, Chinese sliced celery, fried garlic and steamed rice

Gaeng Paa Koong
A Thai curry of prawn simmered with wild herbs, served with steamed rice

Fish Soufflé and Chicken
Freshly minced chicken, chilli and basil are pan-fried and accompany a traditional Thai dish soufflé. Served with pineapple fried rice and curried mixed vegetables.

Green Curry Fish Balls stuffed with Prawn
Fish balls stuffed with minced prawns, simmered in green curry sauce, and soya-braised pork. Served with mixed vegetables.

Indian

Lamb Shank
Lamb shank with onion, pea-soya beans and tempered Bengal, served with gramm and yoghurt vegetable pilaf. Designed by Singapore Airlines International Culinary Panel Chef Sanjeev Kapoor

Chicken Tikka Kurchan Masala
Roasted chicken in a spicy masala sauce with mild spiced mushroom, served with asparagus, cumin-flavoured basmati pilaff, papadum, pickles and plain yoghurt

Curry Patta Lobster
With spiced spinach and corn, tomato pulao, and served with papadum, pickle and plain yogurt

Nasi Biryani
An Indian specialty, fragrant Basmati rice, cooked with aromatic spices, herbs, tomatoes, saffron and milk, is served with tender chicken simmered in gravy (inclusive of Breakfast service)

LufthansaFlyer Jul 8, 2012 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Vunder31 (Post 18889355)
The award tickets are UA ticket, so it would be up to UA to find replacement flights if SQ backs out.

Asiana would be a good fall back if that becomes the case. but then the novelty is gone since you can get Asiana fairly easily.