Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Business class fare sale to Europe Jul/Aug 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, 1M

There are a lot of very low business class fares to Europe now for travel between July 14th and September 2nd. I found a lot of "P" class round trips for $2000 from SFO to LHR, even on the non-stops, for example. Apparently, if you bought a business class ticket within the last 30 days at a higher fare you can "re-fare" for a $50 charge and get the refund as a transferable dollar amount voucher good for future tickets. (I am not sure whether the low re-fare fee is for everyone, or just for cerain levels of elites.)
Old Jun 28, 2012, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by mdspadeccom
There are a lot of very low business class fares to Europe now for travel between July 14th and September 2nd. I found a lot of "P" class round trips for $2000 from SFO to LHR, even on the non-stops, for example. Apparently, if you bought a business class ticket within the last 30 days at a higher fare you can "re-fare" for a $50 charge and get the refund as a transferable dollar amount voucher good for future tickets. (I am not sure whether the low re-fare fee is for everyone, or just for cerain levels of elites.)
Like everything else with COdbaUA, you won't get what's promised. I recently did a re-fare, and I never got the voucher. I've written 3 times now to 1kvoice, no response.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by mdspadeccom
It is very likely dependent on your original fare, rather than your elite status.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:44 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
With the merger, have the refaring rules changed to avoid the drastic $250 international refare fee? $50 sounds much more reasonable to me.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, 1M
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Like everything else with COdbaUA, you won't get what's promised. I recently did a re-fare, and I never got the voucher. I've written 3 times now to 1kvoice, no response.
They gave me the voucher code and the associated pin over the telephone, so I could use it today if I wanted!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:58 pm

This "Europe" sale is a match to BA/One world business class fare sale to LHR.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:03 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
This "Europe" sale is a match to BA/One world business class fare sale to LHR.
I looked into changing my itin around a bit but, sadly, my trip across the pond is on July 12th, two days prior. So I remain on ORD-FRA and CDG-ORD legs in paid Y while my son travels in award F.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Great deal..comparable the brief LHR fares for the Diamond Jubilee... I'm hoping I can arrange some business travel for the latter half of August.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Have other carriers matched this besides UA matching BA?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
With the merger, have the refaring rules changed to avoid the drastic $250 international refare fee? $50 sounds much more reasonable to me.
No. It's still $250 to change restricted coach tickets.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I looked into changing my itin around a bit but, sadly, my trip across the pond is on July 12th, two days prior. So I remain on ORD-FRA and CDG-ORD legs in paid Y while my son travels in award F.
Can you take advantage of the sale fare on the return? Wonder if it's possible to have one leg in P if part of a roundtrip?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 29, 2012 at 11:30 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Can you take advantage of the sale fare on the return? Wonder if it's possible to have one leg in P if part of a roundtrip?
According to the rules it is possible to combine on a half round trip basis. The fares to LHR are indeed right around $2,000..but other cities in Europe are more..up around $2,700 to $2,800.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 1M, AA 0.9M, DL 0.5M
Thanks OP! Booked several seats on SFO-LHR nonstop return last night at $2K and glad I didn't wait like normal. Looks like that route for July/Aug is pricing out much higher now even with stops.... the deal may be gone.

Updated to add: it's a few hours later and the prices are back to 2K for this route.

Last edited by zephyr; Jun 29, 2012 at 5:08 pm
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
And, rebooking/upgrade pricing is still all over the place.

I had a fare for ORD-MAN in July I'd originally booked in Y since they wanted way too much for BF.

My original fare in Y was $1240.

Just checked.

Cost to upgrade using $$ was around $1K each way
Cost to upgrade using miles was $550 plus 20,000 miles each way

Cost of a new ticket in BF was $2200

Cost to rebook into BF? $760 plus a $250 change fee.

Rebooking was cheaper than either buyup options, and equal to the price of a new ticket even including the change fee. And I get the bonus miles and other bennies for paid BF.

An upgradable Y ticket is pricing out at $3K.

There is simply no logic.

Update: just checked a similar ugrade/rebook for FRA in October. For this I could do the $1100 plus 40,000 miles, but they want $12,000 for a new ticket, looks like some of the legs have no availability in paid BF so it's booking into GF, but here are upgrade seats available.

Last edited by milepig; Jun 29, 2012 at 2:03 pm
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: UAL Gold Million-Mile
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
other cities in Europe are more..up around $2,700 to $2,800.
Right you are.
I just booked SFO-MUC at ual.com for next month at 2,696.20 USD.

Itinerary: SFO-LHR-MUC, returning MUC-ORD-SFO.

ORG-SFO leg is Lufthansa A-340 (Business).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.