FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   "I don't always get social media" - Bergsrud (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360658-i-dont-always-get-social-media-bergsrud.html)

sbm12 Jun 26, 2012 10:23 am

"I don't always get social media" - Bergsrud

Probably not what you want to hear when your SVP of Marketing gets on stage at a major industry conference and starts talking, right? But that is apparently what Mark Bergsrud said, right after saying he was proud of United's social media presence.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...06/image21.png

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...06/image22.png

:eek:

channa Jun 26, 2012 10:25 am

Nice find. :D

Where's the CFO for good measure? I bet he thinks people who use Twitter are over-entitled.

bseller Jun 26, 2012 10:35 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18823442)
that is apparently what Mark Bergsrud said, right after saying he was proud of United's social media presence.

Originally Posted by channa (Post 18823464)
Where's the CFO for good measure? I bet he thinks people who use Twitter are over-entitled.

One would think that you could make a pile of money by giving the C suite at UA a big discount on brain-mouth governors.

Just a thought. ;)

Dave

ibuyyoufly Jun 26, 2012 10:43 am

Originally Posted by bseller (Post 18823539)
One would think that you could make a pile of money by giving the C suite at UA a big discount on brain-mouth governors.

Just a thought. ;)

Dave

My goodness! I'm embarrassed for them. Where did they get these guys?

UAL4life Jun 26, 2012 10:55 am

/facepalm. Seriously I would help them for free at this point.

bmvaughn Jun 26, 2012 10:57 am

Admits he doesn't get it, yet he's proud of it. So disappointing.

exerda Jun 26, 2012 11:00 am

It's pretty clear that neither PMUA nor PMCO much understood social media to begin with. @:-)

At least the "twares" PMUA used to run were somewhat on-target, but their Twitter presence completely devolved into a bunch of inane Kettle reminders and ads for the same; I recall once seeing the same tweet about when to arrive at the airport three times in a single week.

jadenus Jun 26, 2012 11:08 am

To play devil's advocate here, what exactly was the context? I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said, even coming from a SVP of Marketing. I'm sure he doesn't always understand social media.

Who can predict whether one particular stirring on Twitter, Facebook, etc. will garner praise, indifference, or revilement?

For example, if Chris Elliott speaks, everyone listens. If Mary Jane Everywoman posts a "United Breaks Guitars" video, will it go viral or will no one hear it? If it does become popular, will United feel heat from it or will people blame poor Mary?

What if United posted a video entitled "We Didn't Break Her Guitar, Delta Did After We Interlined It For Mary Because She Misconnected (Our Fault, Sorry Mary) In Chicago, But Here's A New Guitar Even Though It Probably Doesn't Make Up For The Loss Of A Loved Instrument, We're Sorry And We'll Try To Do Better In The Future"? Would United be lauded for their heartfelt attempt to make things right? Would they be scorned for making a music video? Would people find the absurdly long song title charming, witty, or stupid?

Yeah, United execs say some stupid things. I'm not convinced this is one of them. Social media is very unpredictable as we see on a daily basis. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to look at cat videos.

uastarflyer Jun 26, 2012 11:10 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 18823464)
I bet he thinks people who use Twitter are over-entitled.

He would be correct, how much are they paying for it? Just like pillows, water, etc on a plane.

wpr8e Jun 26, 2012 11:11 am

Originally Posted by jadenus (Post 18823763)
To play devil's advocate here, what exactly was the context? I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said, even coming from a SVP of Marketing. I'm sure he doesn't always understand social media.

Agreed. Context is key here.

I think it is CW that nobody understands how to monetize social media. What's the true benefit? I too don't quite "get" the point.

bmvaughn Jun 26, 2012 11:16 am

Originally Posted by wpr8e (Post 18823783)

I think it is CW that nobody understands how to monetize social media. What's the true benefit? I too don't quite "get" the point.

Not every activity a company undertakes needs to be about direct monetization. Social Media's effects are almost entirely indirect.

unavaca Jun 26, 2012 11:21 am

Originally Posted by wpr8e (Post 18823783)

It's the difference between customers hating your brand and customers going out of their way to experience your product.

IMO, VX gets social media in a way that UA never will.

bmvaughn Jun 26, 2012 11:25 am

It looks like UA was listening.. (I had to include the response :D)

http://i.imgur.com/iVLML.png

demkr Jun 26, 2012 11:27 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

This company is not just out of touch with their customers- they are out of touch with reality

JC1120 Jun 26, 2012 11:29 am

I think use of social media for most businesses is overrated. This includes airlines.

Yes, they need a strategy involving it, but it needs to be down on the list as to where they spend their $$.