Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2

Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Note: There is a reasonable chance (increasing as this 3-class config is retrofitted to remove 3-class F) this configuration may be switch to Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 v5 / Polaris seats / 77J -- so United is often showing a weird seatmap for flights on these planes, reflecting the effort to convert to Polaris Business (without First Class), Premium Economy, and 10-across Y. A discussion of that seatmap is in this thread: Interim 772 seat map with Polaris & potentially Premium Economy (2018)

United has relabeled their site and Version 2 is now Version 1
This thread is about the 3 class 772 and there is only one version being used -- and it will be phased out with time.

Note: This Wiki and thread are devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2. There is a second thread, now locked, devoted to Version 1, with a shorter Wiki (this one addresses all questions, whereas that one addresses only Version 1-specific issues. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 2, although older posts may refer to Version 1 (they were split 8/30/14). Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

If you are looking for information about the new 777-200 with Polaris configuration, that is available here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...xperience.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ational-5.html

Here is the version 2 seat map:

Version 1 vs. Version 2
Until late 2016, there were two versions of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (No longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

Generally speaking, Version 1 was an "XD" configuration with a shorter range (777-200) that flew transatlantic routes (TATL). Version 2 has a longer range and are either an "XJ" or "XQ" configuration of the 777-200ER that flew transpacific routes (TPAC), as well as other longer routes, and now flies all international routes on which a pmUA 777 is used.

There are two noticeable differences between the two, but they are otherwise virtually indistinguishable to the typical passenger and the seating is essentially the same.
  1. Version 1 had crew rest seats towards the back of the economy plus cabin. Version 2 has crew rest below the main deck.
  2. In order to accommodate access to the crew rest area on Version 2, this version has one fewer lavatory in the mid-cabin (2 instead of 3). Yes, it is unfortunate that there is one less bathroom on a plane that typically flies some of the longest routes UA flies (6000+ miles).

Both Version 1 and Version 2 have virtually identical F and C cabins, and nearly identical Y cabins, so most information about seats applies to both versions.

Detailed seat maps are available at:
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...-200_3_New.php

AVOD (Audio Video On Demand) is available at every seat, the first UA plane to equipped this way. The first 777-200 in this configuration started flying in April 2010, and will probably take 18-24 months before the entire 777 international fleets are converted. The entire fleet of this plane is equipped with the AVOD system, although audio is no longer "on demand" and is instead a loop of songs in a playlist.

First Class (As UA has ceased selling 3-class F, this cabin will be treated as an extension of the Business cabin -- same service. Generally UA is allowing GS pre-select these seats prior to check-in)3-class First seats now considered Domestic F/Polaris Business & selectable by 1K/GSs
There are only eight First suites, instead of the 10 or 12 in the older 777 configurations. These suites are spacious, with a wide full-flat bed, and plenty of storage spaces. A big difference is the way the new seats are angled toward the aisle, as opposed to angling away. This makes couples traveling together have an awkward time if they take the middle pairs. For single travelers, for sure the individual suites along the side of the fuselage is better. Even for people traveling together, consider taking adjacent seats across the aisle, so you can see each other. Sharing of meals and quiet conversation would be difficult across the aisle would be difficult however.

The First glass galley is concentrated on the right side, so it is probably best to avoid the right aisle if given a choice, and consider seat 2A be the best on this configuration.

As for window view, all of the window suites have plenty of windows, but with the angling of the seats away from the window, it is much harder to look out of them.

Business Class
Equipped with full-flat 180-degree seats similar to the (now-familiar) ones on the 767-300 and 747-400. Divided into two cabins, front cabins has two rows, and three rows in the rear cabin, with the galley and lavatory between these two cabins.

In order to fit eight Business Class seats across, these seats are narrower than the previous recliners that are only 7 across. Even with the arm-rest that can be lowered, these seats do feel relatively snug. The benefit is a full flat sleeping surface, albeit forcing the inside passengers to step over a sleeping neighbor in order to access the aisle. A taller, nimble person may be able to climb over a sleeping neighbor without disrupting them, but for anyone with less height, short legs, or less general flexibility this could be difficult.

The general view is that the preferred row is row 6, since it is the first row and relatively far away from the facilities. If boarding is via L2, you turn left and most of the rest of the passengers will turn right and resulted in much less traffic through your area.

Note that the 777 cabin is about 9 inches narrower than the 747 cabin, with the exact same number of seats, so you will most likely notice the difference, perhaps most so as you are going down the aisles.

Half of the seats are rear-facing. Once the plane levels out you are unlikely to notice this. Only during takeoff and landing is the sensation different than you are accustomed to. Some people express a preference for the rear-facing seats because the pitch of the plane during level flight means your head is slightly elevated relative to your feet.

All four of the middle block seats in each row faces the same direction, the same for all five rows. For what its worth, note that 7A and 7K are missing a window at the foot end of the seat, against the bulkhead (but there are still two windows).

Row 8 is probably the least desirable, since it is closest to the facilities. 8C and 8H most likely would notice the most traffic to the lavatories and galley, and light from the lavs will shine on these seats when the door is opened. The view out of windows in this second cabin is either back toward the wing, or partially being blocked. 10A and 10K also have a middle window next to the seat as well. 10B and 10J might notice FA traffic through the near-by curtain more so than others.

Economy Plus
With the reconfiguration into 3-3-3 vs 2-5-2, there are only four pairs of seats in coach, and all are located in the Economy Plus section.

20AB and 20JK are probably the best coach seats, fully shielded by the bulk-head in front of them, with good legroom as well. 19DEG are the bassinet positions, so beware of that. The curtain separating Business Class is in front of you, but probably is far enough away that it is not really a problem. Since the facilities are in the back, you have a long way to go to the lavatory, but it also meant very little passenger traffic passing by your seat. You also get to be the first Economy passengers to deplane and through immigration. A couple downsides are that your view out the window is mostly the wing, and there is no under-seat storage in front of you. The AVOD system folks up from below the armrest, which means it must be stored during takeoff and landing.

21C and 21H are interesting, since they have unlimited legroom with no seat in front of them. This mean no under-seat storage in front, and trays are in the arm-rest, making the seat feel slightly narrower, and your monitor is mounted on a swing arm. With your feet extended, just beware that people and carts passing through might occasionally bump you.

There is a missing window around row 23 and 24, so choose another row if you want a view looking mostly at the wings. However, while Row 24 is missing a window, there is still one window available.

The other two pairs of seats are the last row of this Economy Plus cabin, at 31AB and 31JK. Note that there is only one window for 31A and 31J (rather than 1.5 to 2), and this row is near the lavatories, so certainly more traffic. You are also just in front of the emergency exit, so people sometimes congregate in the area just behind you.

Best to avoid 30C and 30H, since there is no seat behind them, and their seatbacks could be used as hand-grabs by passengers passing through, or occasionally being bumped by carts.

Power ports are available in all of economy, one port for the seat-pairs, and two for each three seat cluster. The outlet is mounted just under the seat cushion edge, so a bit hard to access unless you know where to look.

33ABC and 33HJK are the exit row seats, near the lavatory, and subjected to people congregating in front of you. No under-seat storage in front, and trays and LCD screens are in arm-rest and swing-arms respectively, making the seat feel narrower. 33A and 33K do not have a window, although they are probably far enough away from the exit slide that legroom is not really an issue.

34DEG is the bulk-head row, video monitor on the wall, and this is also the bassinet position. Decent legroom, but again no under-seat storage.

Economy Class

The galley is in the back of the plane, as well as another two lavatories, so there will be more traffic through the back of the plane.

Rows 43-46 probably are the last to be assigned, or often reserved for tour groups with no advance seat assignment. They might also be more likely to be unassigned on occasions, and therefore somewhat likely to have an adjacent seat open for you to gamble on. You would, however, be the last to deplane and through immigration, and the back of the plane does get a little more motion especially through turbulence.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2

Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:26 am

Programs: UA Silver
What is the second best seat in GlobalFirst if all seats are available other than 2A? I will traveling alone DXB-IAD, so it is a long flight and want to minimize noise/light/bother.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1P-MM
JUst wanted to update an earlier post I made in this thread about power ports in Economy. I had previously commented that T knew there were 110V power ports in E+, two for each set of three seats. I wash't sure if this was true in E-.

Well, on the last two revamped 777's I flew on, I ponied on back to E- since I boarded real early, and took a look. In both cases, there WERE power ports in E- as well.

Also, for the 777 version that has two rows of crew rest in front of the center lavs (I think they're rows 28 and 29 DEF), these seats are really nice and would be a major score if made available to passengers. Since row 30 seats are missing, you've got 50% more leg room than regular E+ and you also have a raisable foot rest. Think a narrow version of the old "C" Barcaloungers, complete with tray table in the arm rest and AVOD video screen that rotates up from below. I'm not sure if those seats have power, though.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by agoldstein
What is the second best seat in GlobalFirst if all seats are available other than 2A? I will traveling alone DXB-IAD, so it is a long flight and want to minimize noise/light/bother.
I really liked 1A. 2A is the pilot rest. None of the light or anything bothered me, but if you really want to avoid row 1, I would go with 2K
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
1A or 1K?

Have not seen anyone compare these two seats. As pointed out, one place says avoid 1K, another says it is the best seat if traveling alone? From what I can remember, the last time I flew on a UA 777 (old config), 1K and 1H were bathed in light and noise (the FAs were not really quiet) and I was surprised how "out in the open" those seats were. Granted, this was the old config.

So I would "guess" that 1A is better?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by doug_999
Have not seen anyone compare these two seats. As pointed out, one place says avoid 1K, another says it is the best seat if traveling alone? From what I can remember, the last time I flew on a UA 777 (old config), 1K and 1H were bathed in light and noise (the FAs were not really quiet) and I was surprised how "out in the open" those seats were. Granted, this was the old config.

I flew 1A in GlobalFirst on the new 777 on the DXB-IAD route...and had no problems with crew noise, light, or anything else. It was a very quiet, uneventful flight. I don't recall how we exited the plane, but I was one of the first off and with Global Entry the first to get over to baggage/customs.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doug_999

I have now flown 1A twice and loved it. Was with someone once who took 1C, and once alone. Was great both times.

Regarding alone, it was perfect, as I had my aisle seat, and the seat behind was crew rest. I loved it, and had no issues of light or sound.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:41 am

Global first seating.

Good morning!
I'm taking off for PVG from ORD Tuesday morning and questioning my seat.
I'm current in 1A, but 2A is still available.
The configuration is 1-2-1 with 8 seats in F. 777-200.
I'm wondering if I should go one row back and be closer to Business or stay up front.
Right in front of my seat, it looks as if there is a void area (where crew sleeps?) and in the other row is where the galley is located.

Thank you everyone and take care.

Pickel
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Pickel75
Good morning!
I'm wondering if I should go one row back and be closer to Business or stay up front.
Right in front of my seat, it looks as if there is a void area (where crew sleeps?) and in the other row is where the galley is located.

Pickel
Did you look in here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...al-cabin.html?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickel75
Good morning!

Pickel
I'd stick with 1A
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:56 pm

19E limited recline?

on UA seat selection screen, 19E shows as limited recline. what's the deal with that? 34E doesn't show that, so would you choose that over 19e?

in general i like the bulkheads but haven't been on these new 777q, so i'm also wondering if you'd choose regular e+ seats over the above two.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Slim pickings in Business - help me choose!

First time in this cabin, and not an aisle seat to be had. The general advice I've seen is that any window seat is better than one of the dreaded D and G middle seats. But does that apply to a window in row 8, which is next to the lav? It's a backward-facing seat, which means you're not looking at the lav, but it's hard for me to tell how much space there is between your head and the lav wall. The full range of choices is:

-- row 6 D or G
-- row 8 window
-- row 8 D or G
-- row 9 D or G
-- row 10 D or G

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Here's hoping someone gets the upgrade to F they've been hoping for . . .
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:52 pm

Any tips on picking E- seats? Flying ORD-CDG and PEK-ORD on this bird and any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by takoyakimaster
on UA seat selection screen, 19E shows as limited recline. what's the deal with that? 34E doesn't show that, so would you choose that over 19e?

in general i like the bulkheads but haven't been on these new 777q, so i'm also wondering if you'd choose regular e+ seats over the above two.
I just sat in 19D for my flight this week -- the recline did not seem unusually limited to me; then again, I don't think the recline in any of the E+ (or E-) seats is that large to begin with, so I'm not sure I would have noticed a diminution. However, I can't think of any structural reason why the recline in this row would need to be limited -- there is no exit row behind it.

There is definitely extra legroom in 19 DEF, and they are also relatively quiet, because the lav is at the back of the E+ cabin rather than the front. The bulkhead wall is solid with no cut-out; it's possible that a very tall person might prefer the open space of a regular row when in the reclined position. The person in 19E next to me found it relatively easy to get in and out of the row. Note that this is the row reserved for a bassinet, so there is some risk that you could be seated next to a baby (or perhaps even moved, I'm not sure about that). But I would personally would pick 19E over any E+ seat located in a row other than 19. Good luck!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Traveling with Mrs. GBadger SFO-KIX -- we're currently in 7A,B. Since it's more or less a daytime flight, I'm not too worried about the galley light (particularly on the A,B side, since there is a closet directly in front of you). Would seats in the main J cabin be better? Currently, the J,K seats are open in rows 8,9 and 10, as are 7J,K and A,B in rows 9 and 10. We'd like to keep to one of the pairs of seats on the outside of the cabin.

From what I gather in this thread, we don't want to be in row 10, so I guess it comes down to row 7 vs. 8 or 9. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by GBadger
Traveling with Mrs. GBadger SFO-KIX -- we're currently in 7A,B. Since it's more or less a daytime flight, I'm not too worried about the galley light (particularly on the A,B side, since there is a closet directly in front of you). Would seats in the main J cabin be better? Currently, the J,K seats are open in rows 8,9 and 10, as are 7J,K and A,B in rows 9 and 10. We'd like to keep to one of the pairs of seats on the outside of the cabin.

From what I gather in this thread, we don't want to be in row 10, so I guess it comes down to row 7 vs. 8 or 9. Any thoughts?
I'd stick with row 7. The mini C cabin seems to receive better service than the main C cabin. I've also found that the lights go out faster, thanks to the FAs having a smaller cabin to serve.

Row 8 is behind the lavs, which can result in some unpleasant odors in your seat area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.