Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has a program called Premier Status Accelerator.
Premier Accelerator
Premier Accelerator℠ helps you achieve Premier® status faster by allowing you to purchase additional Premier qualifying points (PQP) or Premier qualifying flights (PQF). Premier Accelerator is available when purchased in combination with Award Accelerator.
Summary -- for those with a purchased itinerary, you will be given the opportunity to purchase RDMs and then optionally, a similar number of PQMs PQPs. You are given two quantities to purchase (in the past it was X and 2X, but it has become more variable recently).. The numbers seem to have some relationship to the length of the existing itin.
The offer, for a purchased flight, will be found in your online reservation, It may say " Grow your award miles balance by purchasing Award Accelerator®. "
You will have to select the Award Accelerator in all cases, if you want Premier Accelerator also, then select it next.
The purchased miles post quickly -- generally less than an hour or two.
Purchase price does not count for PQDs PQPs
The offer will be available once ticketed and then until the itin is completely flown. The mileage offered decreases as segments are flown.
The cpm rate can change at any time -- up or down. See the thread on Rates.

Don't have an open itinerary? Just "purchase" dummy itin as refundable or non-refundable. After purchasing the RDMs/PQMs (must select the RDM offer to see the PQM PQP offer and must purchase the RDMs to purchase PQMs PQPs), cancel the dummy itin (if non-refundable do within the fee-free 24-hour cancellation window). The purchased RDMs/PQMs PQPs are non-cancelable / non-refundable and will stay purchased even if the dummy itin is canceled.
As before there will be two offers, if the offer is too many miles try a shorter itin, even a OneWay -- say SFO-LAX. There does seem to be a min offer level but it varies for the individual. You don't need to purchase to see the options, they will be displayed on the "United Travel Options" page, the page before you enter your credit card info,

Attempt to change the offer amount
-- try an international itin (seems to increase the offer)
-- try an international with a partner (seems to increase the offer)
-- try an OW itin (seems to decrease the offer)
-- try a short sub-500 segment (seems to decrease the offer)
-- try itins with a higher or lower price (offers seems to track relative price)
In practice, there is no close form method to get a specific amount. UA has your information.

Related thread -
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2021]

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2020]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2019]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2018]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2017]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2016]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2015]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2014]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
I'm seeing an offer during the booking stage for Award Accel at the rate I want. If i book with that add on, then cxl the ticket, is that possible?
Do i still get to keep the miles then and only pay for the RDM extras?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rivlinm
I'm seeing an offer during the booking stage for Award Accel at the rate I want. If i book with that add on, then cxl the ticket, is that possible? ...
Yes -- you have 24 hours to cancel but you don't need to wait after you purchase the PQMs, you can cancel right away.
Do i still get to keep the miles then and only pay for the RDM extras?
yes
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
I'm not doing this for PQM, just RDM.

If i have a $1200 fare and add another $200 for 10,000 RDM, my card will be billed $1,400

When I cxl will I get $1200 back? Not familiar with how this works with buying Award Acc BEFORE ticket confirms as part of the ticket purchase.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm not doing this for PQM, just RDM.

If i have a $1200 fare and add another $200 for 10,000 RDM, my card will be billed $1,400

When I cxl will I get $1200 back? ....
Yes, the $1,200 will probably show as pending (for a few days) and never convert to an actual billing.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:52 pm
RNE

I don't want to keep making speculative bookings on .bomb as I'm sure UA doesn't like it and it's hits my cc for a few days.
Rest assured there are no reports that UA is bothered by repeated made-and-cancelled bookings. I've been doing it for years, even dozens at a time. The hitch, if there is one, is that you need sufficient credit line to handle all the charging before they drop off. I recall a 200,000 RDM purchase that took several, expensive bookings to the Far East to find an offer for that amount of RDMs.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this. But is there a best practice for trying to get the best rate to buy PQMs? I'm likely going to be roughly 10k short for 1k and will need to buy some. I assume rates will get higher as the year progresses? Any tips/tricks would be helpful. Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by njxbean
... is there a best practice for trying to get the best rate to buy PQMs? ....
This is a bit of a black box but
-- avoid early in the year (wait to April?) and later in the year (Dec and maybe late Nov are expensive)
-- purchasing when the purchase will take you over a milestone
-- seems to be cheaper to purchase when having lower PQD total for the year vs having a higher total
The latter two are not absolutes but there seems to be some correlationI suspect others have seen some patterns they will add in.
njxbean likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is a bit of a black box but
-- avoid early in the year (wait to April?) and later in the year (Dec and maybe late Nov are expensive)
-- purchasing when the purchase will take you over a milestone
-- seems to be cheaper to purchase when having lower PQD total for the year vs having a higher total
The latter two are not absolutes but there seems to be some correlationI suspect others have seen some patterns they will add in.
Thanks. So i guess i should continue to check the prices daily until i get a price i am satisfied with?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:16 pm

Thanks. So i guess i should continue to check the prices daily until i get a price i am satisfied with?
Depends on your target
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Depends on your target
I guess what i mean is, i have two trips booked for later this year. Will the price for PQMs change daily? Or is it set based on the booking and will never change. If thats the case i would have to make new bookings to get another price right?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:42 pm

... i have two trips booked for later this year. Will the price for PQMs change daily? Or is it set based on the booking and will never change. ...
Neither -- it does not change often, especially if you have not had recent flight activities but it can change.

7 CPM for PQM only is the rock bottom but many don't see better than 9-10 cpm. If you see 12-15 cpm, waiting is probably a good idea.

Change the pricing data from previous years (see wiki for links) for the same month might help calibrate yourself.
njxbean likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this. But is there a best practice for trying to get the best rate to buy PQMs? I'm likely going to be roughly 10k short for 1k and will need to buy some. I assume rates will get higher as the year progresses? Any tips/tricks would be helpful. Thanks.
If you have any spare time, flying (even in F) is a substantially cheaper source of PQMs. You also get to go somewhere!
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checking for cheap paid (not miles & copay) upgrades is a good way to get PQMs if you already have bookings (or intend to) on longer domestic routes for the rest of the year, and/or work in some longer routings than you'd normally take on trips you're taking anyway. It doesn't take up a bunch of time flying around like a pure MR. Last year when I was flying to see my extended family at xmas there were two other people in F on the LAX-LAS leg, and all three of us were there for the extra PQM - it's such a short flight there's not much point to F unless you're 11 feet tall or something.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Checking for cheap paid (not miles & copay) upgrades is a good way to get PQMs if you already have bookings (or intend to) on longer domestic routes for the rest of the year
Maybe, or maybe not. There is no guarantee that a "cheap paid upgrade" (meaning, a one-leg-at-a-time upgrade available online or at a check-in kiosk) will result in extra PQMs. It might; it might not. For every person who reports "mine always do," there's someone else who reports "I didn't get my bonus PQMs." The only way to be sure you'll get bonus PQMs is to pay the fare difference between Y and F, which you can do by calling. (You used to be able to do this online, but they removed that functionality in favor of the one-leg-at-a-time approach).
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:22 am

Award / Premier Accelerator?

Planning my travel through the end of the year, it appears I will be about 1100 miles short of 1K. So, my natural thought was, "I'll check what the award/premier accelerator rates are."

None of my booked flights are now offering Award / Premier Accelerator purchases (and when I click "See all offers" on a page showing a reservation, the site times out). Is it just me? Is there a web site programming glitch? Has it been hidden, put somewhere else? Has the program ended? Can anyone verify?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.