Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has a program called Premier Status Accelerator.
Premier Accelerator
Premier Accelerator℠ helps you achieve Premier® status faster by allowing you to purchase additional Premier qualifying points (PQP) or Premier qualifying flights (PQF). Premier Accelerator is available when purchased in combination with Award Accelerator.
Summary -- for those with a purchased itinerary, you will be given the opportunity to purchase RDMs and then optionally, a similar number of PQMs PQPs. You are given two quantities to purchase (in the past it was X and 2X, but it has become more variable recently).. The numbers seem to have some relationship to the length of the existing itin.
The offer, for a purchased flight, will be found in your online reservation, It may say " Grow your award miles balance by purchasing Award Accelerator®. "
You will have to select the Award Accelerator in all cases, if you want Premier Accelerator also, then select it next.
The purchased miles post quickly -- generally less than an hour or two.
Purchase price does not count for PQDs PQPs
The offer will be available once ticketed and then until the itin is completely flown. The mileage offered decreases as segments are flown.
The cpm rate can change at any time -- up or down. See the thread on Rates.

Don't have an open itinerary? Just "purchase" dummy itin as refundable or non-refundable. After purchasing the RDMs/PQMs (must select the RDM offer to see the PQM PQP offer and must purchase the RDMs to purchase PQMs PQPs), cancel the dummy itin (if non-refundable do within the fee-free 24-hour cancellation window). The purchased RDMs/PQMs PQPs are non-cancelable / non-refundable and will stay purchased even if the dummy itin is canceled.
As before there will be two offers, if the offer is too many miles try a shorter itin, even a OneWay -- say SFO-LAX. There does seem to be a min offer level but it varies for the individual. You don't need to purchase to see the options, they will be displayed on the "United Travel Options" page, the page before you enter your credit card info,

Attempt to change the offer amount
-- try an international itin (seems to increase the offer)
-- try an international with a partner (seems to increase the offer)
-- try an OW itin (seems to decrease the offer)
-- try a short sub-500 segment (seems to decrease the offer)
-- try itins with a higher or lower price (offers seems to track relative price)
In practice, there is no close form method to get a specific amount. UA has your information.

Related thread -
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2021]

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2020]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2019]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2018]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2017]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2016]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2015]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2014]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Should I pay extra for more miles?

I use miles for upgrades on international (trans ocean) flights. I realize this may not be the best use but for me, it is. I have the option of buying 9,000 extra miles for $180 or 18,000 miles for $360 ahead of my next flight.

Is this ever a good idea? I read that I can buy miles for $35 per 1,000 so this SEEMS like a good deal???

I will be silver next year but will never be a high flyer and unlikely to spend much on my UA Chase card to make a big difference (maybe $5,000 a year).

Just really want to cross the pond(s) in Business Class.

Thanks!

PS. If I use my United Card would I get two points per dollar? Thinking probably not
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
I use miles for upgrades on international (trans ocean) flights. I realize this may not be the best use but for me, it is. I have the option of buying 9,000 extra miles for $180 or 18,000 miles for $360 ahead of my next flight.

Is this ever a good idea? I read that I can buy miles for $35 per 1,000 so this SEEMS like a good deal???

I will be silver next year but will never be a high flyer and unlikely to spend much on my UA Chase card to make a big difference (maybe $5,000 a year).

Just really want to cross the pond(s) in Business Class.

Thanks!

PS. If I use my United Card would I get two points per dollar? Thinking probably not
1000 miles for $35 isn't usually a great deal. That's 3.5cents per mile (cpm)

Award Accelerator is usually around 2cpm.

Miles purchased in either case do not post as United purchases and therefore don't earn 2 miles per dollar.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I use miles for upgrades on international (trans ocean) flights. I realize this may not be the best use but for me, it is. I have the option of buying 9,000 extra miles for $180 or 18,000 miles for $360 ahead of my next flight.....
Standard 2 cpm offer from Award Accelerator. Almost always a better deal than the Purchase Personal Miles at 3.5 cpm, undiscounted, and still in the mid- to high- 2.x cpm region when on sale.

As banked miles don't earn interest and can be devaluated at any time by the airline, it is generally thought to be a poor idea to speculatively purchase miles for some potential future trip. Instead, wait till there is a need, use the Award Accelerator (more hints in the wiki) and buy / used when needed.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Thank you both. I'll read the Wiki although from my basic understanding, the "buy and cancel a ticket" idea COULD go away, right???

And the amount of miles offered is variable based on the price of the ticket you pretend to buy?

LOVE this forum . . . .
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thank you both. I'll read the Wiki although from my basic understanding, the "buy and cancel a ticket" idea COULD go away, right??? ...
It has been there for about 5 years, so it probably has been profitable.

And the amount of miles offered is variable based on the price of the ticket you pretend to buy? ...
That appears to be one factor but not the only one. The first couple of years it was easier to predict but it has gotten more obtuse.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
PQM Accelerator purchase questions

Hi,

I am looking for advice in which route(s) would give me the cheapest $ option to purchase PQM accelerator.

I am going to fall about 10k short of gold this year. So am looking to purchase a round trip ticket and then purchase PQM accelerator, then cancel the flight within the 24 hour cancelation policy.

Right now it looks like 12k PQM would cost me 1500.00. EWR to PHX....its the cheapest I have found so far...and by cheapest I mean least expensive compared to other flights i have looked at.

Does anyone know of a better deal than 1500 for around the same 12k PQM's on a different flight?
Thanks for the advice
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:25 pm

Welcome to FT!, stambo

Originally Posted by stambo
....Does anyone know of a better deal than 1500 for around the same 12k PQM's on a different flight? .....
Rates are personalized, what you get for a flight may be the same or different than want I get. Also, the milestone you are shooting for seems to have some influence.

See the wiki of this thread for some suggestions.

also see United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2017]
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Hi,

I am looking for advice in which route(s) would give me the cheapest $ option to purchase PQM accelerator.

I am going to fall about 10k short of gold this year. So am looking to purchase a round trip ticket and then purchase PQM accelerator, then cancel the flight within the 24 hour cancelation policy.

Right now it looks like 12k PQM would cost me 1500.00. EWR to PHX....its the cheapest I have found so far...and by cheapest I mean least expensive compared to other flights i have looked at.

Does anyone know of a better deal than 1500 for around the same 12k PQM's on a different flight?
Thanks for the advice
Do you want to take an actual flight or just get the PQMs?

If you need the PQDs as well then there seem to be some better deals on international flights for the mileage run.

If you just want the PQMs see the wiki for buying a flight, purchase the extra miles with the accelerator option and then cancel the flight within 24 hours for no cost for the flight/cancellation.

I just purchased 8,000 PQMs on a SAN-LAX flight but I am actually taking the flight.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thanks for the advice
If you have any time on your hands, flying is always a cheaper source of PQMs than Accelerator. For example, you could even do it in comfort: an EWR-SFO turn nets 10,264 PQM for $1,318.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

If you need the PQDs as well then there seem to be some better deals on international flights for the mileage run.

If you just want the PQMs see the wiki for buying a flight, purchase the extra miles with the accelerator option and then cancel the flight within 24 hours for no cost for the flight/cancellation.

I just purchased 8,000 PQMs on a SAN-LAX flight but I am actually taking the flight.
Hi

I don't want to take the flight, just want to purchase the PQM's. I don't need the PQD's I am waived since i have the Presidential Plus card.
Thanks
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
If you have any time on your hands, flying is always a cheaper source of PQMs than Accelerator. For example, you could even do it in comfort: an EWR-SFO turn nets 10,264 PQM for $1,318.
If you can get to BOS it is even cheaper - $1090 on many dates in Dec smae day turns
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Thats the problem, I don't have the time...unfortunately. I know it would be cheaper to take an actual flight an earn the PQMs that way but won't be able to do that this year. I know its going to be more expensive this way, just wondering if anyone know of a cheaper route to net the PQMs than the one I have found.

Thank!
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

I looked at the WIKI, and it was very helpful. I am hoping someone might know of a cheaper flight that netted them around 12k PQM's cheaper than the 1500.00 i found.

I would then book the flight, buy the PQM;s and then cancel flight within 24hours as per the WIKI.....
Thanks
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I looked at the WIKI, and it was very helpful. I am hoping someone might know of a cheaper flight that netted them around 12k PQM's cheaper than the 1500.00 i found.

I would then book the flight, buy the PQM;s and then cancel flight within 24hours as per the WIKI.....
Thanks
On IAH>SAN I was offered 9000 for $1215

On IAH>MSY I was offered 4000 for 500 and 2000 for 250, so you could get 10000 for $1050 if you did it 3 times and got the same offer.

As someone mentioned upthread offers are specific to your status (though my experience is higher status = more expensive offers). I believe there is a fall fare sale ending (possibly today?) you might want to try to find some of those $60-80 fares and do this today before that ends.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I don't think you will see much better than that, and there isn't a science to finding offers (they're individualized) so it's hard to point to a mechanism for fine-tuning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.