Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has a program called Premier Status Accelerator.
Premier Accelerator
Premier Accelerator℠ helps you achieve Premier® status faster by allowing you to purchase additional Premier qualifying points (PQP) or Premier qualifying flights (PQF). Premier Accelerator is available when purchased in combination with Award Accelerator.
Summary -- for those with a purchased itinerary, you will be given the opportunity to purchase RDMs and then optionally, a similar number of PQMs PQPs. You are given two quantities to purchase (in the past it was X and 2X, but it has become more variable recently).. The numbers seem to have some relationship to the length of the existing itin.
The offer, for a purchased flight, will be found in your online reservation, It may say " Grow your award miles balance by purchasing Award Accelerator®. "
You will have to select the Award Accelerator in all cases, if you want Premier Accelerator also, then select it next.
The purchased miles post quickly -- generally less than an hour or two.
Purchase price does not count for PQDs PQPs
The offer will be available once ticketed and then until the itin is completely flown. The mileage offered decreases as segments are flown.
The cpm rate can change at any time -- up or down. See the thread on Rates.

Don't have an open itinerary? Just "purchase" dummy itin as refundable or non-refundable. After purchasing the RDMs/PQMs (must select the RDM offer to see the PQM PQP offer and must purchase the RDMs to purchase PQMs PQPs), cancel the dummy itin (if non-refundable do within the fee-free 24-hour cancellation window). The purchased RDMs/PQMs PQPs are non-cancelable / non-refundable and will stay purchased even if the dummy itin is canceled.
As before there will be two offers, if the offer is too many miles try a shorter itin, even a OneWay -- say SFO-LAX. There does seem to be a min offer level but it varies for the individual. You don't need to purchase to see the options, they will be displayed on the "United Travel Options" page, the page before you enter your credit card info,

Attempt to change the offer amount
-- try an international itin (seems to increase the offer)
-- try an international with a partner (seems to increase the offer)
-- try an OW itin (seems to decrease the offer)
-- try a short sub-500 segment (seems to decrease the offer)
-- try itins with a higher or lower price (offers seems to track relative price)
In practice, there is no close form method to get a specific amount. UA has your information.

Related thread -
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2021]

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2020]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2019]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2018]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2017]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2016]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2015]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2014]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
I know I was offered to double miles for a one way SFO-MRY, so, yeah 500min x 2=1000

Also SEA-PDX, same deal.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
1K PQM is likely the lowest offer you will get -- try OWs
That was OW SFO-LAX. 337 actual miles and 1500 miles purchase offer.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Interesting development. Used suggesting from this post and booked SFO-LAX OW award flight using miles. Well, on the reservation page it offers to buy award accelerator for $33 but it is missing my MP number. As soon as I under the account number it changes to min 1500 miles.

Well, no dice. I am not going to spend $200 on this.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
It sounds like there are two different formats for the Accelerator page now, and different people are getting different formats. I've seen multiple posts with the two right next to each other with radio buttons (circles) instead of the PQM hidden until you check the award checkboxes (squares). Someone mentioned in another thread that they were getting the radio button format on an award ticket, but it's showing the checkbox format on all of the reservations in my account (revenue for me, award for family/friends).
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Will UA offer buy opportunity to maintain current status

AA offers some buy up of miles to maintain status while DL offers up to 10K MQM for sale. Will UA do anything similar?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bcj1949
AA offers some buy up of miles to maintain status while DL offers up to 10K MQM for sale. Will UA do anything similar?
UA (and earlier PMCO) has offered PQM for purchase for years, under various names. It is available year round.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...maximizer.html

warning it is pricey this time of year.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bcj1949
Depends on how much away you are from getting status. Even if UA comes out with the targeted offer (typically jan-feb timeframe), they do not allow you to buy more than 15K EQM. If you must re-up your status before the end of this year.You can alternately make a dummy booking, purchase the Premier accel, yrator miles and cancel the booking (within 24 hours).
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
This year (2013) they made a "buy back status" offer in January for people who missed requalifying. It allowed you to buy PQMs and/or PQSs for credit to the previous year's (2012) balance in order to maintain status. It wasn't publicized much - some people got emails. I found out about it here on FT and was able to use it even though I hadn't been emailed. Whether they'll do that in January 2014 or not is anybody's guess. They probably don't even know, themselves, at this point. I guess it depends on whether their desire to thin out the elite ranks exceeds their desire to extract every last drop of additional revenue by any and all conceivable means.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Originally Posted by sogboulder
This year (2013) they made a "buy back status" offer in January for people who missed requalifying. It allowed you to buy PQMs and/or PQSs for credit to the previous year's (2012) balance in order to maintain status. It wasn't publicized much - some people got emails. I found out about it here on FT and was able to use it even though I hadn't been emailed. Whether they'll do that in January 2014 or not is anybody's guess. They probably don't even know, themselves, at this point. I guess it depends on whether their desire to thin out the elite ranks exceeds their desire to extract every last drop of additional revenue by any and all conceivable means.
Many thanks!!!!!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by sogboulder
Interesting. I just got an offer to pay about $2,300 for 15,000 miles and that still would leave me 10,000 short of Gold. Not much of a deal.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:29 pm

Ok, so happy because I think this is the perfect place to ask my question:

I am a MileagePlus cc holder but non-status. I purchased an economy award ticket that is not scheduled to depart until Oct of 2014. One of the legs on this ticket is from MEL > SYD > LAX >IAH. I was thinking that if BFsaver became available on this flight, I would like to "change"my ticket to get BF on the SYD > LAX segment. That would be an additional 17,500 miles bringing my total award ticket purchase to 107,000 plust taxes and fees.

With that, the offer on the acc. is $460.00 for 20,000 reg miles and a whopping $2,200 for Premier. Since I am new to this, I am trying to see what this equates to, as it is cheaper than buying outright. I calculate $0.23 but, is it a deal? I really had no desire to keep accumulating any miles with ua b/c of the upcoming changes, so they can go kick rocks with that premier offer. But the award miles offer at $460 seems like good deal.

I wish I understood the whole waitlisting, cpu, rpu, and gpu thingamjigs u guys so often speak of. But then again, even if I did, since my tickets are award tix - X class anyway - no status - "upgrading" via that route is not an option.

Someone needs to a webinar or youtube instructional vid on buyng a united plane ticket. lol But I digress.

Anyway, back to the point... I hope I am making sense. In the meantime, I am going back to reviewing this thread on a Saturday night b/c I have no life.

Last edited by lurkgoddess; Dec 7, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:26 pm

Paying with miles and getting PQM's

Hi!!

I am not too sure where to post this but I am wondering if there is any way to book award travel and still receive PQM's. Can I book one direction with miles and pay the other half and receive PQM's for the whole trip? Any other ways to make this happen?

Also does any one know how you are ranked within each tier for upgrades? Obviously 1K is first on the list, and then Platinum, Gold etc. What distinguishes one Gold from another Gold?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
No there isn't a way to book award travel and earn PQM. If you book a one way award and then the return paid you'll only earn on the paid portion. Not the whole trip.

You can read about the upgrade priority on United's website: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by holdenit
Hi!!

I am not too sure where to post this but I am wondering if there is any way to book award travel and still receive PQM's. Can I book one direction with miles and pay the other half and receive PQM's for the whole trip? Any other ways to make this happen?

Also does any one know how you are ranked within each tier for upgrades? Obviously 1K is first on the list, and then Platinum, Gold etc. What distinguishes one Gold from another Gold?

Thanks so much for your help!
You can always book a 1-way award and buy a 1-way ticket. Be sure the 1-way ticket isn't far more expensive than just buying a round-trip. No difference between, say, 2 Golds, until they get on the same plane - than one will have higher status based on (in order) fare class, purchase date, check-in time.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I am wondering if there is any way to book award travel and still receive PQM's. Can I book one direction with miles and pay the other half and receive PQM's for the whole trip? Any other ways to make this happen? ....
Award travel does not earn PQMs. But as with any travel, you can purchases extra PQMs, Premier Accelerator / Elite Maximizer. The price varies throughout the year

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...maximizer.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html

... Also does any one know how you are ranked within each tier for upgrades? Obviously 1K is first on the list, and then Platinum, Gold etc. What distinguishes one Gold from another Gold? ....
within the status levels, the prioritization goes by status (GS is top), fare class and time of request. For CPU routes, things are more complex -- see Upgrade confirmation priority

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.