Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chances of Waitlisted GPU Clearing When Traveling FRA-SFO?

Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

To the frequent travelers, I am a basic Mileage plus member with no status but traveling from FRA to SFO in October of this year. My friend sponsored an upgrade for me using a SWU on that flight as a gift from returning from being stationed overseas for a vacation with my family. I've been wait listed for the upgrade and wondering what the chances of clearing as a non-elite on such a long flight?

Just trying to see what my chances are! Thanks for the help!

Brent

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 22, 2012 at 2:20 pm Reason: vague thread title
Old Jun 22, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by USAF_O1
Hello,

To the frequent travelers, I am a basic Mileage plus member with no status but traveling from FRA to SFO in October of this year. My friend sponsored an upgrade for me using a SWU on that flight as a gift from returning from being stationed overseas for a vacation with my family. I've been wait listed for the upgrade and wondering what the chances of clearing as a non-elite on such a long flight?

Just trying to see what my chances are! Thanks for the help!

Brent
Impossible to say, really. Your best chance is off the waitlist if availability opens up in advance. On the day of the flight it will be tough, as likely others will be queued ahead of you.

If you have some flexibility the best strategy is to find a flight that actually has availability and book that (if there is one). Then you can get the upgrade immediately.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Well the flight is already booked... I'd pay a fortune to change my flight :/
Old Jun 22, 2012, 3:23 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Depends on when in October you're departing. SFO<->FRA goes once daily between late October and March. If your departure date will take place at a time when UA goes 1x, then your upgrade chances diminish dramatically.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: OnePass, Royal Orchid Plus, Mabuhay Miles
Isn't the status used for an upgrade come from the MP account sponsoring the upgrade as opposed to the ticket holder's status? I think that's the case. If so you have an advantage there.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by terminalc
Isn't the status used for an upgrade come from the MP account sponsoring the upgrade as opposed to the ticket holder's status? I think that's the case. If so you have an advantage there.
Anybody have any insight on the above? That would be awesome if it is indeed the case!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 6:21 am

Anybody have any insight on the above? That would be awesome if it is indeed the case!
It is true so if you have a 1K SWU, it beats a Platinum, Gold and Silver SWU. IMO, it helps you a little bit but not too much.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by edcho
It is true so if you have a 1K SWU, it beats a Platinum, Gold and Silver SWU. IMO, it helps you a little bit but not too much.
Only 1ks or GS get SWUs....So how would one get a Silver SWU - unless it was someone who was 1k the previous year and now has a lower status?

FRA-SFO on the 747 is notoriously difficult to upgrade, especially when it is once a day.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by 1k650
Only 1ks or GS get SWUs....So how would one get a Silver SWU - unless it was someone who was 1k the previous year and now has a lower status?

FRA-SFO on the 747 is notoriously difficult to upgrade, especially when it is once a day.
That is one way for a Silver to have SWUs.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: CO-Plat/UA-1P, HHonors-Gold
Chances of Waitlisted GPU Clearing When Traveling FRA-SFO in Oct?

If I get this wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

You can always watch the fare bucket inventory and try calling if you see R open up.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help everyone! Maybe I'll get lucky, but I guess I'll have to resort to flying in economy for the 11hr flight haha!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:25 pm

Thanks for the help everyone! Maybe I'll get lucky, but I guess I'll have to resort to flying in economy for the 11hr flight haha!
I'm confused by a lot of the responses you've been getting. You should get priority on the waitlist of the person who gave you the GPU, which means you should be in the list as a 1K or GS. Chances beyond that depend on fare class and date of travel. If you're flying Tue-Thu, chances are better than Mon/Fri, for example.

The real problem you will face is the abhorrent state of the new computer system they put in place, which probably won't clear you even if you're entitled to being cleared, hence the advice to call regularly.

In any case, make sure you have a solid meal before you get on the plane.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by mitchmu

The real problem you will face is the abhorrent state of the new computer system they put in place, which probably won't clear you even if you're entitled to being cleared, hence the advice to call regularly.
+1. All I can say is monitor your flight from now on like a hawk and look for R class open up and be ready to call in. Many times it doesn't clear automatically when seats are available.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I pulled the following from my website getmyuprade.com

Right now there are only four flights available with upgrade inventory (inventory changes as the time to flight moves closer)

Date Flight Number Orgin Destination Aircraft R Inventory
2012-12-04 UA901 FRA SFO Boeing 747-400 4
2012-12-11 UA901 FRA SFO Boeing 747-400 8
2012-12-24 UA901 FRA SFO Boeing 747-400 9
2012-12-26 UA901 FRA SFO Boeing 747-400 9
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by omegadeal
I pulled the following from my website getmyuprade.com

Right now there are only four flights available with upgrade inventory (inventory changes as the time to flight moves closer)

Date Flight Number Orgin Destination Aircraft R Inventory
2012-12-04 UA901 FRA SFO Boeing 747-400 4
2012-12-11 UA901 FRA SFO Boeing 747-400 8
2012-12-24 UA901 FRA SFO Boeing 747-400 9
2012-12-26 UA901 FRA SFO Boeing 747-400 9
is this realtime and accurate?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.