Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interline Baggage with Partners (Single or Multiple PNRs) w/ SHARES

Old Jun 22, 12, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Hi All -

Flying UA895 to HKG connecting to CX en route to MNL. The CX flight is on a separate itin, bought directly from them.

In the past (read: waaaay before 3/3/12), I was able to get experienced UA reps to check bags onward to MNL (or wherever).

Is this possible in SHARES? It would be downright terrible if I had to clear customs, get my bag, and recheck.

thanks!
jcg
Old Jun 22, 12, 5:13 pm

Programs: OnePass, Royal Orchid Plus, Mabuhay Miles
You'll have no problem.
Old Jun 22, 12, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, it can be done in SHARES.

Make sure you've got a copy of the CX ticket details to present to the UA agent so they can get it done.
Old Jun 23, 12, 5:25 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold
It can be done, but it now takes about three times as long as the prior UA system.
Old Jun 24, 12, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by jcg20 View Post
Hi All -

Flying UA895 to HKG connecting to CX en route to MNL. The CX flight is on a separate itin, bought directly from them.

In the past (read: waaaay before 3/3/12), I was able to get experienced UA reps to check bags onward to MNL (or wherever).

Is this possible in SHARES? It would be downright terrible if I had to clear customs, get my bag, and recheck.

thanks!
jcg
I did that not long ago. SFO-LHR on UA then LHR-DUB on BMI. I booked as two separate PNRs so SHARES could not screw up the non-UA segments.

At airport, the 1K check-in agent (very experienced) had to ask for help from another, more experienced, agent. Then, she had to get a supervisor. Then, they gave her instructions. She tried to execute them, but failed. Had to go through the escalation process twice. Finally, she ended up creating an entire fake/dummy/ghost PNR for me, and booked the interline on that fake/dummy/ghost PNR then printed the bag tags then deleted the fake/dummy/ghost PNR then associated the bags to my original PNR.

Entire process took 30-45 minutes.

These are the senior premier agents at SFO, among the best in the business. If you get someone more junior or less caring - good luck. They might be inclined to throw you and your bags out on the curb rather than go through all this.

I've always booked international itineraries on separate PNRs even before 3/3, and before 3/3, the interline check-through was seamless and effortless.
Old Jun 24, 12, 4:52 pm

I was offered manual (!) tag = handwritten, as none of the agents in PSP knew how to print out a tag for two separate UA tickets.
Old Jun 24, 12, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Yes SHARES has full interline capability. As pointed out the biggest challenge will be if the agent is up to speed on how to do it.
Old Jun 24, 12, 6:36 pm

I did this very quickly at ORD. Was taking UA to Bos then Cape Aur to Nantucket. Process took 5 minutes.
Old Jun 25, 12, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by jasondc View Post
I did this very quickly at ORD. Was taking UA to Bos then Cape Aur to Nantucket. Process took 5 minutes.
Maybe it's easier process for domestic?
Old Jun 26, 12, 11:45 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mitchmu View Post
Finally, she ended up creating an entire fake/dummy/ghost PNR for me, and booked the interline on that fake/dummy/ghost PNR then printed the bag tags then deleted the fake/dummy/ghost PNR then associated the bags to my original PNR.
Just to let you all know this is <quote> official/unoffical <unquote> way it has to be done with SHARES. It is so strange that almost no one knows about it.
Old Jun 26, 12, 3:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mitchmu View Post
Finally, she ended up creating an entire fake/dummy/ghost PNR for me, and booked the interline on that fake/dummy/ghost PNR then printed the bag tags then deleted the fake/dummy/ghost PNR then associated the bags to my original PNR.
But once you delete the fake PNR, is the tag information still in the system? What happens if the bag is lost and someone needs to look it up?

Originally Posted by SFOFastAir View Post
Just to let you all know this is <quote> official/unoffical <unquote> way it has to be done with SHARES. It is so strange that almost no one knows about it.
OMG - a manual work-around as a standard process for something that should be a standard feature in the software?
Old Jul 12, 12, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, AA PPro
UA can't/won't interline bags to DL on separate tix.

Mrs flymonthly and I just got finished with a YUL-ORD-SLC-PDX trip on UA/DL. YUL-ORD-SLC was on UA and SLC-PDX on a separate DL tix. The UA TA at YUL refused to interline our bags to the DL flight, saying it could only be done if the flight was on the same tix or if the other tix was a UA (or maybe *A) flight. We spent a few minutes discussing the matter as I kept telling her that I had done so before (true) so why couldn't it be done on this trip? She seemed to indicate that there wasn't a way to do it in the UA system. A supervisor was unavailable, so I gave up pushing it since she was obviously not going to accommodate us.

Having a little extra time, I went over to the DL check-in at YUL to find out what DL would have done if the situation was reversed. The DL TA said that it would have been no problem as long as I had the ticket info for the connecting flight (which I did). He went so far as to walk over to the UA counter to see what the problem was. He came back a little irritated with UA saying that they told him they were no longer allowed to interline bags if not on the same ticket. He said he would initiate some sort of dispute resolution action with the UA supervisor, but that we were SOL on this trip.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I did a brief search on FT and the UA web site, but didn't see anything that indicated a change in policy. Is this worth contacting UA, and if so, should it be email or call? I don't need any compensation, but would like to have my bags checked through the next time (if there is one).
Old Jul 12, 12, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, it can be done. But it is a courtesy and not an obligation of the carrier.
Old Jul 12, 12, 9:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat 2.3MM; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite; National Car Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Yes, it can be done. But it is a courtesy and not an obligation of the carrier.
And with the new UA it is apparently a courtesy not worthy of an "over entitled" 1K!
Old Jul 12, 12, 9:37 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
This is SHARES limitation.

I don't work the lobby but from what I understand you have to create a PNR for the bag an use that PNR to issue the bag tag an then delete the PNR after the bag tag is issued.

How to do this has been passed on by word of mouth from pmCO agents at HUBs so it is not surprising that an agent at YUL wouldn't know how to do this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: