Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interline Baggage with Partners (Single or Multiple PNRs) w/ SHARES

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interline Baggage with Partners (Single or Multiple PNRs) w/ SHARES

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Sorry to revive the old thread, but I'm wondering whether anything has changed here.

I'm traveling DEN-EWR-BRU-OSL on UA/SN (single ticket) and then connecting OSL-LYR on SK on a separate ticket (~4 hour layover in OSL). Can the bags be interlined all the way to LYR?
Also, if so, am I assuming correctly that the standard 3 x 70 lb limit for 1Ks applies without fees?

On the way back, I'm traveling: LYR-TOS-OSL (SK, one ticket) -- overnight layover -- OSL-FRA-SFO-DEN (LH/UA, different ticket). For this itinerary, I'm assuming I'll have to pay the domestic SK baggage charges for the LYR-OSL travel no matter what. For the second part (OSL-DEN), my FRA-SFO and SFO-DEN have both been upgraded. Will LH allow me to check 3 x 70 lbs without charge because I am in business class across the Atlantic?

Thanks for any light that can be shed on this!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GBadger
Sorry to revive the old thread, but I'm wondering whether anything has changed here.

I'm traveling DEN-EWR-BRU-OSL on UA/SN (single ticket) and then connecting OSL-LYR on SK on a separate ticket (~4 hour layover in OSL). Can the bags be interlined all the way to LYR?
Also, if so, am I assuming correctly that the standard 3 x 70 lb limit for 1Ks applies without fees?

On the way back, I'm traveling: LYR-TOS-OSL (SK, one ticket) -- overnight layover -- OSL-FRA-SFO-DEN (LH/UA, different ticket). For this itinerary, I'm assuming I'll have to pay the domestic SK baggage charges for the LYR-OSL travel no matter what. For the second part (OSL-DEN), my FRA-SFO and SFO-DEN have both been upgraded. Will LH allow me to check 3 x 70 lbs without charge because I am in business class across the Atlantic?

Thanks for any light that can be shed on this!
Is this two nested round-trip tickets, or do you have two one-way tickets across the Atlantic? And when you say "have been upgraded," you mean, with an instrument upgrade?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
Is this two nested round-trip tickets, or do you have two one-way tickets across the Atlantic? And when you say "have been upgraded," you mean, with an instrument upgrade?
Nested roundtrip tickets (couldn't get UA to sell me a ticket to LYR). Yes, the upgrades are via GPU.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nested roundtrip tickets (couldn't get UA to sell me a ticket to LYR). Yes, the upgrades are via GPU.
OK, then the baggage policy that will apply on the return from OSL will be UA's.

Yes, you should be able to check them through to LYR on the way out. Yes, you'll be required to pay for luggage according to SK's policy at LYR. However, there is no guarantee that LH will offer you the upgraded allowance at OSL. That's because when UA upgrades a ticket with an instrument, they don't seem to write the updated baggage allowance into the record that's published to other airlines. You may be able to get them to waive the charges by showing your receipt, but I don't think there's any guarantee. I'd expect the *G allowance for economy -- 2 bags at 50 lbs each.

I don't have experience with LH with this issue, but I had a similar situation with AC and they did not provide the business class allowance (YVR-SEA-IAH-AUS, with a cleared RPU on SEA-IAH-AUS).
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
OK, then the baggage policy that will apply on the return from OSL will be UA's.

Yes, you should be able to check them through to LYR on the way out. Yes, you'll be required to pay for luggage according to SK's policy at LYR. However, there is no guarantee that LH will offer you the upgraded allowance at OSL. That's because when UA upgrades a ticket with an instrument, they don't seem to write the updated baggage allowance into the record that's published to other airlines. You may be able to get them to waive the charges by showing your receipt, but I don't think there's any guarantee. I'd expect the *G allowance for economy -- 2 bags at 50 lbs each.

I don't have experience with LH with this issue, but I had a similar situation with AC and they did not provide the business class allowance (YVR-SEA-IAH-AUS, with a cleared RPU on SEA-IAH-AUS).
Thanks very much -- this is very useful guidance. One question -- if UA's policy is the one that applies, wouldn't I get 3 x 70 as a 1K even for Y?

If others have any experience with respect to J or Y baggage allowance for an LH-UA-UA where the UA legs have been upgraded to J, please let me know!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks very much -- this is very useful guidance. One question -- if UA's policy is the one that applies, wouldn't I get 3 x 70 as a 1K even for Y?
Happy to help.

No, because it's only the base (non-status) policy) that applies. LH is not obligated to honor UA's 1K allowance; if you look at your receipt for a flight in Y, you'll note that it says "check-in must occur with United." They will only provide *G benefits -- one extra piece beyond the base allowance.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Closing this thread , please use UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 10, 2024 at 10:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.