United Premier Tour for Elites

Old Jun 22, 12, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
We did something similar with Captain Denny in PDX. Got to drive the jetbridge, look around in FastAir ^ & SCARES, go into the ops center, and get plenty of pics on the ramp.

Have a great time!
Old Jun 22, 12, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by infomark View Post
Did you get to deny boarding to a 1K It looks like you had a blast. well done.
No denied boardings, but I was quickly picked out as a "NYC-based customer" when I was making a couple boarding announcements. Apparently I was too curt. I got called out on it similarly in HNL a couple weeks ago when I forgot to add "mahalo" to the end of the announcements I made.
Old Jun 22, 12, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
looks really fun! anyone know the ballpark criteria to get invited to something like this? i know my rev is nowhere near high enough but i'm still curious.
Old Jun 22, 12, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
UA: the gift that keeps on giving !!
Old Jun 23, 12, 6:58 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + UA Plat + AS MVP 75k Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I hope they a) do a SFO event and b) I get invited. Looks fun!
Old Jun 23, 12, 7:08 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by LeftsideWindow View Post
looks really fun! anyone know the ballpark criteria to get invited to something like this? i know my rev is nowhere near high enough but i'm still curious.
I got invited to a bunch of "1K" stuff when I lived in Miami (12 years ago). I was told smaller stations do this, especially ones that UA is not the dominant airline. UA Had a nice S American hub in MIA at the time but was nothing compared to the size of AA (they did a lot for 1K's then (they had a great IFCL and 1K's were admitted regardless of class flying, stuff like that
Old Jun 23, 12, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier, National Executive Elite
Well I just thought I would give everyone a little recap of the event.

It was a great time, the staff at GSO were fabulous, there were a few people from corporate attending but it was mostly local staff doing most of the talking and tour leading.

Real quick, I asked what the criteria for an invite was, and was told it was a mix of UA Premier Members with a slant to high spend flyers but they were also looking to include a large range for future events. A second note, they are finding people based on their "Home Airport" field on the MileagePlus profile. So it is important to have that field on your profile completed. They are also only contacting people via email so you need to check your email.

Now for the event, they had a welcome packet waiting for everyone. The packet included a temporary airport badge, orange vest, ear plugs and a few other nick knacks. We met the site manager and most of his local staff on duty throughout the day. There were 16 ppl and they split us up into two groups out 8.

My group started out at the checkin counter where I actually checked a few people in, "SHARES" is not a very intuitive system. Printed some boarding passes and tagged some bags. We then worked our way down to the bag area, got a behind the scenes peak, etc.

After the bag area we got a quick tour of the operations center, UA staff went through all their maintenance routines and planning activities etc.

The final stop was the tarmac where we spent about two hours. Now GSO is a pretty light load for UA on a Saturday morning, just two flights arriving and departing from 9 to 11. We helped the ground crew and turned both plans around in less then 24 minute requirement.

This was by far the best part, we wing walked both planes into the gate, helped unload the gate checked and checked bags, operated the jetway, checked out the refueling process, got a chance to climb into the cargo hold, and the best part, I saw on the push vehicle when we pushed from the gate. I didn't get a chance to drive put did sound power head phones with the pilots on push back, went through the entire routine with them.

All in all it was a great chance to get a behind the scene peak. The women from corporate who is organizing these events said they are going to be doing a lot more of these all around the country. They will most likely take place on weekends since most of people she has reached out to for invites have been unavailable during the week. I hope everyone else gets an invite sometime in the future.
Old Jun 23, 12, 8:53 pm
formerly gohima

Originally Posted by fkatzRTW View Post
Well I just thought I would give everyone a little recap of the event.

It was a great time, the staff at GSO were fabulous, there were a few people from corporate attending but it was mostly local staff doing most of the talking and tour leading.

Real quick, I asked what the criteria for an invite was, and was told it was a mix of UA Premier Members with a slant to high spend flyers but they were also looking to include a large range for future events. A second note, they are finding people based on their "Home Airport" field on the MileagePlus profile. So it is important to have that field on your profile completed. They are also only contacting people via email so you need to check your email.

Now for the event, they had a welcome packet waiting for everyone. The packet included a temporary airport badge, orange vest, ear plugs and a few other nick knacks. We met the site manager and most of his local staff on duty throughout the day. There were 16 ppl and they split us up into two groups out 8.

My group started out at the checkin counter where I actually checked a few people in, "SHARES" is not a very intuitive system. Printed some boarding passes and tagged some bags. We then worked our way down to the bag area, got a behind the scenes peak, etc.

After the bag area we got a quick tour of the operations center, UA staff went through all their maintenance routines and planning activities etc.

The final stop was the tarmac where we spent about two hours. Now GSO is a pretty light load for UA on a Saturday morning, just two flights arriving and departing from 9 to 11. We helped the ground crew and turned both plans around in less then 24 minute requirement.

This was by far the best part, we wing walked both planes into the gate, helped unload the gate checked and checked bags, operated the jetway, checked out the refueling process, got a chance to climb into the cargo hold, and the best part, I saw on the push vehicle when we pushed from the gate. I didn't get a chance to drive put did sound power head phones with the pilots on push back, went through the entire routine with them.

All in all it was a great chance to get a behind the scene peak. The women from corporate who is organizing these events said they are going to be doing a lot more of these all around the country. They will most likely take place on weekends since most of people she has reached out to for invites have been unavailable during the week. I hope everyone else gets an invite sometime in the future.

I understand why they target the high spend people but I do hope they do a bit of a lottery for the lower spend people (myself included) who are airline geeks and would love the chance to participate in something like this. Perhaps make it an opt-in field on united.com or something...

Search this Thread