Wiki Posts
Search

New blue kiosks are terrible

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
New blue kiosks are terrible

I have to say, this is probably one of the least substantive things I could post about (and perhaps this will get folded into that thread), but the new blue kiosks and the new software that was installed are terrible.

I really wish United would've kept the silver kiosks and their software which seemed all around better and more functioning.

Issues I've seen with new kiosks:
1) They cannot read WA state IDs
2) Take forever to print boarding passes
3) The paper they print on is incredibly flimsy and easily gets wrinkled to the point of no longer scanning
4) Paper does not hold up over time
5) Passport scanners are marginally worse

I actively seek out the old kiosks with their card stock.. and at least they can read WA state IDs. Too bad they have the same slowly performing software.

Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:49 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Point #2 is valid with either type of machine. Something in the software on both significantly increased the time to print BPs; I'd estimate per BP that they take somewhere around 15-20 seconds now--and for an itin where you get 3 BPs + an e-receipt for two pax, that means you're twiddling your thumbs at the kiosk for a couple of extra minutes (in the meantime slowing down the line).

Minor complaint, yes, but definitely a discernible change for the worse, too.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
(this is NOT a troll for a smisek dig).

But would it be fair to say if they did indeed "dumb down" the kiosk, they figure more would utilize the paperless BP options?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780

But would it be fair to say if they did indeed "dumb down" the kiosk, they figure more would utilize the paperless BP options?
Fair point - and mine was not a troll or some SHARES dig, I really believe they are not as strong of machines/platforms.

Downside I've seen of paperless options is when things don't credit and you're asked to send in a copy of your boarding pass.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780

Yeah, but you have to have a phone that is capable. My wife and I both have phones that are not EBP capable. Well my phone (Samsung Renown) is, but I don't have a data plan for it, as I don't need it. She has no need for a smart phone as all she uses her phone for is talking. Also you can not use a EBP on an itinerary that originates in Canada or possibly any non-US point. I know for sure you can't from Canada, not too sure about Europe.

Cheers,
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
... and mine was not a troll or some SHARES dig
... yet you managed to bring SHARES into yet another unrelated thread.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M
... yet you managed to bring SHARES into yet another unrelated thread.
As it being not related?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The new kiosks being rolled out progressively are better, IME. Still no cardstock, but even s-UA silver kiosks were being modified to print on the lighter stock prior to the merger.

NCR TouchPort 70
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
As it being not related?
All of the complaints in the thread are completely unrelated to the underlying reservation system.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxf24
All of the complaints in the thread are completely unrelated to the underlying reservation system.
Precisely my point, thank you.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
I've noticed (in BOS and PHX) that since 3/3...

The PMUA kiosks (the silver ones) are very very very slow at printing BP's. You get one, then wait a loooooong time, then get another one.

The PMCO kiosks (the blue ones) are still slow, but much quicker than the PMUA ones.

Originally Posted by EWR764
The new kiosks being rolled out progressively are better, IME. Still no cardstock, but even s-UA silver kiosks were being modified to print on the lighter stock prior to the merger.

NCR TouchPort 70
That is one good looking Chicken.

Last edited by warreng24; Jun 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Can we add "ugly" to the list??

Of course, pretty much everything COdbaUA does with anything graphics or equipment is almost certain to be ugly.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by milepig
Can we add "ugly" to the list??

Of course, pretty much everything COdbaUA does with anything graphics or equipment is almost certain to be ugly.
Sure, you can add it to the list right after paper that wrinkles.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by sxf24
Probably true, but given the amount of time it takes to access the details for a reservation on the web (I assume this is working directly against SHARES), I wouldn't be surprised if the time it takes to print a BP is due to slow query performance on SHARES data.

Of course, maybe it takes the kiosk all that time just to put the data in the crazy format that UA now prints it on the BP.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
eh who knows why its so slow, but it is. Used the Easy chickins at TPA a few weeks ago, still took forever to print (thank goodness Cardstock) BPs.

its entirely possible that the CO software is poorly written, and the UA machines are slower than the CO ones, and thus takes a lot longer to execute the BP generation code on the UA EZ chickin printers.

Definitely don't like the increasing prevalence of TP boarding passes. I've got about 10" stacked cardstock BPs in my collection, hopefully it will keep growing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.