FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated DEN connection time/logistics-Domestic & International (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1358685-consolidated-den-connection-time-logistics-domestic-international.html)

hockey7711 Jun 20, 2012 10:27 am

Consolidated DEN connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

I have a flight coming up SJC-DEN-LGA
Is that enough time?

1:45 p.m.
Tue., 10 Jul., 2012
San Jose, CA (SJC)
Arrive:
5:12 p.m.
Tue., 10 Jul., 2012
Denver, CO (DEN)

Change Planes. Connect time in Denver, CO (DEN) is 33 mn.
Depart:
5:45 p.m.
Tue., 10 Jul., 2012
Denver, CO (DEN)

Arrive:
11:27 p.m.
Tue., 10 Jul., 2012
New York, NY (LGA - LaGuardia)
Flight Time:
3 hr 42 mn

ChicagoJetSet Jun 20, 2012 10:32 am

In Denver, I don't think so. Concourse B, where United flies out of, is literally just a straight line. As long as you deplane and head straight to your next gate, it shouldn't be a problem.

hockey7711 Jun 20, 2012 10:34 am

I am in FC so I can exit quickly.

rcheneyjr Jun 20, 2012 10:36 am

Unless you are on a RJ and have to wait for any gate-checked carry-ons.

Continental250K Jun 20, 2012 10:36 am

Originally Posted by hockey7711 (Post 18789510)
I am in FC so I can exit quickly.

10-15 minute delay on your outbound and you can kiss your connection good bye.

xxdboixx Jun 20, 2012 10:37 am

33 mins is pretty tight. DEN concourse B is a really loooooooong terminal. You can potentially arrive in to one end and leave from another. If you're sitting towards the back of the plane and/or your IB suffers a slight delay, you'll miss your cxn. I had a 24 min cxn after a delay, sitting in 2A, first one off the plane, ran down the concourse to the other end, and missed my cxn.

Get ready to run. If you see a delay in your SJC-DEN, be proactive and call UA asap and have them reroute you through SFO/LAX on a later or redeye. You're on the last flight out of DEN to LGA.

Good luck!

ok2uselane Jun 20, 2012 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Continental250K (Post 18789525)
10-15 minute delay on your outbound and you can kiss your connection good bye.

That's what I was thinking. Although, according to flightaware, it's been on-time for the past two weeks. However, I wouldn't be willing to risk it...
Good luck!
;)

Hawk Circle Jun 20, 2012 10:40 am

The flight you're on often arrives early, and an F seat should mean a quick exit from the inbound plane.

That said, a delay of 15 minutes at any point could mean a missed connection.

goalie Jun 20, 2012 11:02 am

What the others have said regarding a delay and being hosed and I personally wouldn't do it as it's asking for trouble

FortFun Jun 20, 2012 11:06 am

More info (and similar advice) here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...en-merged.html

valor155 Jun 20, 2012 5:50 pm

You can make it. I connected from Delta on A to United on B with 35 minutes between flight times.

The Delta flight did arrive early, and the United flight was near the escalators from the trains.

It was really no sweat at all, given the conditions. I did get a seat near the front of the Delta flight and of course no checked bags. That helped too.

B is a long concourse, but the moving walkways will help. And talking glass half full, the flights could be near each other on B. However, the regional jet flights are the long walks on that concourse.

You can do it.

Jorgen Jun 20, 2012 6:28 pm

As always, depends on your tolerance for risk and how large a disaster it will be if you miss it. Theoretically, no problem, you can walk briskly from any United gate to any other United gate in less than twenty minutes. If your flight is more than a few minutes late you're hosed, but if you're willing to accept that risk then you should be fine.

Out of curiosity, and for future reference, if a passenger misconnects on (say) DEN-LGA, are the agents who rebook him on the next flight authorized to change his destination to, say, EWR, if the passenger indicates this would be an equally acceptable alternative? Or do you have to wait around for the next LGA flight?

geofflaredo Jul 10, 2012 1:17 pm

insufficient (illegal?) connection time?

IAD-ABQ-IAD in October. Outbound on a Thursday evening, nonstop. Return leg is via DEN (nonstop leaves too early in the a.m.). I've taken this route several times in the past few years and the timing of the outbound nonstop is like a ping pong ball; it changes often, and no doubt it will change between now and October.

Original booking had a 50ish minute connection time in DEN on the return. Schedule changes now show a 30 minute connection time (arrive DEN 3:16, depart DEN 3:46). I didn't know the system would even accept such a short window.

So, who thinks this is too short a time? Next flight to IAD is 5:49; i'd hate to have that long a layover. What do you think of leaving it alone, taking my chances, and assuming there will be a seat for me (even if a crummy seat) on the 5:49 in case i miss the connection (hub to hub, Monday holiday, it's feeling iffy to me)?

There are of course multiple options i can explore between ABQ and IAD that also leave at a time that makes it do-able for me; if i go this route, hoping i don't get grief re paying a change fee, since I think the change UA made isn't technically ok.

As always, all thoughts very much appreciated.

channa Jul 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by geofflaredo (Post 18904576)
There are of course multiple options i can explore between ABQ and IAD that also leave at a time that makes it do-able for me; if i go this route, hoping i don't get grief re paying a change fee, since I think the change UA made isn't technically ok.

Your experience on this can be all over the map. Some agents will argue it's legal so it's fine (easiest way to get you off the phone). Some may understand your concern but aren't interested in getting into a 20-minute reissue frenzy with SHARES to change your ticket to another connecting point. Others will be more willing to help.

I wouldn't like the 30-minute connection, so I would just call until you get what you want.

Jorgen Jul 10, 2012 1:32 pm

How's your walking speed? :)

United allows half-hour connections at DEN because it's possible to make half-hour connections at DEN. It's a pretty easy airport to get around. Of course, your plane might be fifteen minutes late... but in my recent experience United planes are never fifteen minutes late. They're fifteen minutes early *or* two hours late.

Personally I'd definitely take my chances and go with the half-hour connection.