Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at DEN

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at DEN

Hide Wikipost
Old May 23, 19, 7:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Due to the length of concourse B, a connection under an hour when the arriving or departing flight is a UA mainline aircraft, is not advised. If you arrive on the far west end and depart on the far east end, then allowing for the time it takes deboard the plane, and the 20 minute cut off when UA starts to cancel seat assignments, you are unlikely to make your connection. Of course sitting in the front of the arriving plane helps as does having no green tagged bags.

However, if both aircraft are United Express, then a 45 minute connection is acceptable because all United Express flights arrive and depart on the east end of concourse B.
-----
CONTENT ADDED NOV 25, 2015

Everything You Wanted to Know Flying UA at Denver Intl (DEN)

Security (Non-TSA Pre):
• Terminal North TSA checkpoint - 4:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Terminal South TSA checkpoint – 24/7
• A Bridge TSA checkpoint - 4:30 a.m. to 6 p.m

Security (TSA Pre):
• Observed Hours are different than normal hours for A Bridge: 7:30am
• All other locations are the same

Places to Eat on Concourse B (FT Favorites)
• Coffee: Caribou Coffee (Mezzanine level in center of concourse), Starbucks (B83 in the RJ Gates)
• Fast Food: Modmarket (Main level in center of concourse by McDonalds, NE corner), Steve's Snappin' Dogs (B24)
• Breakfast: Pour La France (Main level in center of concourse, NW corner)
• Lunch/Dinner: Elways (Main level in center of concourse, SW corner), Etai's Bakery Café (B22), Que Bueno! Mexican Grille (B52), Aviators (Mezzanine level in center of concourse)
• Drinks: New Belgium Hub (B80 in the RJ Gates), CRÚ Food and Wine Bar (B51)

Gate Configurations:
B11 – B29 & B31, 33, 35, 37, 39, and 41 - 48: Narrow body gates
B30, 32, 34, 36, 38, and 42: Wide body gates
B49-B95: RJ gates with the larger RJs consolidated in the B49-B60 range

"Suggested" Connection Times (Domestic to Domestic/International)
• 1hr to 1hr 30min (assuming a walk from B15 down to B90)
• Standard D/D MCT (UA-UA) is 30 minutes and 50 minutes for another carrier

"Suggested" Connection Times (International to Domestic, non-Pre Clear)
• 1hr 30 min to 2hrs (depending on use of GE/no-GE and security lines)
• Standard I/D MCT is 60 minutes and longer

United Club Locations (Two Clubs)
• B32 (West Club): 5:00am to 9:00pm daily
• B44 (East Club): 6:30pm to 11:30pm daily

Terminal map: April 2019

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 12, 18, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by felicidad76 View Post
It was still clearing customs but for passengers with connections not for passengers leaving for Washington
There's a discussion on this in the IAD thread. At least for UA passengers, they still have two facilities; I don't recall which is which. It only really matters if you have checked luggage, because they'll deliver your bags to one or the other based upon their destination. If you get the choice, I'd just follow the sign for connecting passengers, but feel free to follow up in the IAD thread.
Old Mar 12, 18, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
OP is traveling LON-IAD-DEN-EUG. This advice is for travelers on LON-DEN-EUG. 55 minutes is way too short for that, but the stop at IAD makes all the difference.

There's a reasonably high chance of thunderstorms at DEN on summer evenings, although they're likely to delay DEN-EUG just as much as IAD-DEN.
I was responding to the post I saw. DEN-EUG is more likely to be delayed or cancelled if it is UX(EUG is actually starting to get mainline flights.). Personally, I have had more issues getting out of IAD on summer evenings because of storms.

BTW, the transfer from international to domestic at IAD now sometimes has precheck and sometimes not(or at least that was true in Nov)

And if none of this is useful info, oh well.
Old Sep 1, 18, 8:12 am

I consider booking SAN-DEN-FRA with United (domestic) and Lufthansa (international) with 41 minutes connection time (bookable on lh.com).
I understand that the domestic flight will arrive at concourse B and the international flight leaves at A.

Do you think it is feasible?

Thanks for feedback

Old Sep 1, 18, 8:23 am

Everything would have to go right on schedule for that to work. Keep in mind that boarding for the LH flight will start at least 30 minutes before its departure and probably closer to 45. So they will be boarding as you are pulling into your gate from SAN. If you are sitting in first class on the United flight, you’ll be able to get off your plane quickly. If not, that alone could take 15 - 20 minutes. Depending on where your gate in terminal B is, it can be another 10 minutes to get to the train you’ll need to take between terminals A and B. The train will take another 5-10 between waiting for it and getting off at terminal A. The Lufthansa gate will be a 5 minute walk. So add it all up and it is possible. But barely. And that’s assuming your SAN flight arrives on time. I would want at least an hour and more like an hour and a half. That’s conservative, but less likely to cause a heart attack.
Old Sep 1, 18, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by NikeMertens View Post
I consider booking SAN-DEN-FRA with United (domestic) and Lufthansa (international) with 41 minutes connection time (bookable on lh.com).
I understand that the domestic flight will arrive at concourse B and the international flight leaves at A.

Thanks for feedback

I wouldn't do it, but I sat next to a retired German couple who were late in '16.. We were LAS-DEN with a 2 hour+ MX delay that was resolved. I understood the problem and told them to follow me once we landed. We were in E+ before the exit row so quickly off, down to the train to "A," and up to the dedicated LH gate in less than 10 minutes (planets aligned). All passengers had boarded. The LH GA appeared to be waiting for the tardy and they boarded immediately. It was 20+ minutes past departure time. Don't know if others followed as I proceeded to baggage claim, but the GA didn't immediately close the big silver door behind them. This being LH-bookable suggests LH will know you are on a right connection; going East probably helps them wait too. YMMV.
Old Sep 1, 18, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold

Thanks for feedback

Agree with Rock everything would have to go perfect or game over. Also, I believe that is a "illegal connection", someone can correct me (they will) if I am wrong but on international connections they are suppose to be 1 hour at a minimum. This is not saying they won't sell you the ticket but if something goes wrong you are on your own. I had one out of EWR a couple years back and had to wait until the next morning to get the next flight into FRA and UA basically said good luck and have a nice night in Newark.
Old Sep 1, 18, 12:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Agree with Rock everything would have to go perfect or game over. Also, I believe that is a "illegal connection", someone can correct me (they will) if I am wrong but on international connections they are suppose to be 1 hour at a minimum. This is not saying they won't sell you the ticket but if something goes wrong you are on your own. I had one out of EWR a couple years back and had to wait until the next morning to get the next flight into FRA and UA basically said good luck and have a nice night in Newark.
If booked by UA, the MCT is 45 minutes, the generic DI is 1 hour at SFO for UA.

If on a single ticket, even if LH ticket stock, the airlines have a responsibility to get you to your destination -- but expect finger pointing. With LH, play the EU261 card.

Personally I would not book that tight -- take an earlier flight.
Old Sep 1, 18, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post

If on a single ticket, even if LH ticket stock, the airlines have a responsibility to get you to your destination -- but expect finger pointing. With LH, play the EU261 card.
I think EU261 even has a MCT time which may be 45mins as well but didn't check and not sure how it is applied when the connection is not in the EU. I believe the connection here is 41 minutes and believe me if they can they will use this as an excuse and as you say "finger point". To your point it doesn't hurt to raise the issue if needed, can't hurt.
Old Sep 1, 18, 1:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
I think EU261 even has a MCT time which may be 45mins as well but didn't check and not sure how it is applied when the connection is not in the EU. I believe the connection here is 41 minutes and believe me if they can they will use this as an excuse and as you say "finger point". To your point it doesn't hurt to raise the issue if needed, can't hurt.
If LH books and issues a ticket with an inappropriate MCT, it will have to honor it or fix it.

OP could book it and then call LH to pint out the error and get rebooked on an earlier domestic flight (for no charge even if fares are higher)

I would not book and then try to make it because UA could refuse to check-in the passenger due to the MCT issue.
Old Sep 2, 18, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Thanks for feedback
OP is connecting in DEN, where the UA-LH MCT is 0h40. This is a legal connection, but extremely risky. If your inbound flight pushes on time from SAN, you probably make this about 60% of the time with a bonus for being in the front (note this assumes you arrive early). If there is any delay whatsoever on SAN-DEN you're hosed. I would not attempt this because you're connecting to a TATL flight.
Old Nov 24, 18, 4:25 pm

Just a heads up for anyone connecting at DEN...starting 11/26/18 United will begin using a gate on the C concourse (C38) for a few flights each day. Continuing construction will leave B33 and B37 out of service for a few months as more concrete work is completed.
Plane-is-home likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS 75k, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz somthingorother
A while back I booked IAD-DEN-SJC on 12/31. There have been a number of schedule changes since then, and I didn't pay a huge amount of attention since they were all pretty minor, but I was reviewing the trip today and I noticed I've ended up with a 38 minute connection time in DEN. Reading back in the thread, it seem like this will probably be fine, but it's the last DEN-SJC flight of the day. In case of a misconnect will they put me on a DEN-SFO, or will I be stuck in Denver overnight (and out of luck for my New Years plans)?
Old Dec 17, 18, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would expect a reasonable agent to be willing to put you on DEN-SFO.
zymm likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:22 pm

Yes, but note that if your ticket was for First, by the time you misconnect you may find DEN-SFO full in front. That is generally one of the downsides of rerouting your IRROPS'd -SJC flight to -SFO, although in your case it's not so long a flight.
zymm likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Yes, but note that if your ticket was for First, by the time you misconnect you may find DEN-SFO full in front. That is generally one of the downsides of rerouting your IRROPS'd -SJC flight to -SFO, although in your case it's not so long a flight.
IME, this is a serious risk whenever your F ticket encounters IRROPS, regardless of destination.

Search this Thread