Exit row and boarding-pass scanner

Old Jun 19, 12, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Exit row and boarding-pass scanner

Last night when my boarding pass was scanned at SFO, the machine buzzed, alerting the GA to the fact that my seat was in an exit row. She stopped to ask me if I was able and willing to perform the duties associated with this row.

If I'm not upgraded, I'm in an exit row. This is the first time the machine has buzzed though. Is this now the norm or only in SFO?

I like this enhancement. The last time I was in an exit row, many of the seats were occupied by non-English speaking people who couldn't grasp what they were required to do in an emergency. Discovering a situation like this before boarding may be easier to deal with than onboard.
Old Jun 19, 12, 3:44 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
It's been doing this at least since 3/3. I always take row 9 on PS flights and it's been doing it at least since march
Old Jun 19, 12, 3:47 pm

This has bee going on for the last month or so.
Usually after the beep/buzz the gate agent just looks at me and hits a key on the computer. Never had them ask me anything and good thing cause I no comprende.
Old Jun 19, 12, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Two for Two

I've been asked twice this year if I knew I was in an exit row when the scanner beeped. On both mainline flights when I wasn't sitting in F.
Old Jun 19, 12, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
IME, the scanner gave an indication of exit row seating well before 3/3, though I'd never had a GA do anything about it. I do agree that the better time to take care of ineligible pax is at boarding, not once everyone is on board.
Old Jun 19, 12, 5:47 pm

I recall this happening at legacy Continental long before the merger.

Unfortunately most agents see that moment as "not my problem" and will just click people on through. I've had to reseat my exit row twice in the last week. Still doesn't top my exit row passenger that didn't want to be moved despite the wheelchair request on her record. The agents were aware of that one too, and left it for me to deal with.
Old Jun 19, 12, 5:47 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr View Post
It's been doing this at least since 3/3. I always take row 9 on PS flights and it's been doing it at least since march
Yup and imho, a waste of time as it's the F/A who has to ensure that the pax is willing and able to assist and not the G/A. The boarding process is screwed up enough and imho, this "feature" just adds to the "scewed-upness"
Old Jun 19, 12, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
IME, the scanner gave an indication of exit row seating well before 3/3, though I'd never had a GA do anything about it. I do agree that the better time to take care of ineligible pax is at boarding, not once everyone is on board.
I agree that this has happened well before 3/3 for me also.
Old Jun 19, 12, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by goalie View Post
Yup and imho, a waste of time as it's the F/A who has to ensure that the pax is willing and able to assist and not the G/A. The boarding process is screwed up enough and imho, this "feature" just adds to the "scewed-upness"
They're supposed to be asked every step of the way (ticket purchase, check in, boarding, etc) to eliminate any needs to reseat once they are onboard. Unfortunately with exit row seats available to any average joe that wants to pay extra there is much room for error.

My aunt purchased my 87 year old grandma a full-fare ticket last month and assigned her to the exit row. She apparently completely ignored the screen that popped up at time of purchase and just hit yes. They both called me later to complain about my grandma being moved when she boarded.

Another example? I had a passenger with a sprained ankle that had a wheelchair request in, in my exit row. She refused to move because she paid extra for the seat. We refused to move the aircraft until she moved.

The traveling public as a whole is pretty ignorant. We have hold hands every step of the way.
Old Jun 19, 12, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
The gate program displays a large, red box to let the GA know that you are in the exit row. Yesterday's IAD-DEN was the first time the GA has asked if I'm willing and able. On previous flights, the GA would just nod or ignore it completely.
Old Jun 19, 12, 6:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
This is a feature of PMCO - they do the exit row acknowledgement at boarding, rather than by FAs. I think I had only 1 UA gate agent asked the willing and able exit row question since 3/3. Another agent at JFK just stared at me when the machine beeped, clearly had no idea what to do to clear the message.
Old Jun 19, 12, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
The gate program displays a large, red box to let the GA know that you are in the exit row. Yesterday's IAD-DEN was the first time the GA has asked if I'm willing and able. On previous flights, the GA would just nod or ignore it completely.
Same here...most times this year (at least since 3/3), the GA would look up at me and press a key to continue. On this morning ORD-BOS flight, the GA actually asked if I was willing & able.
Old Jun 19, 12, 6:51 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM, 1K; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Happened to me twice in March. First time, when agent hesitated at the beep, I volunteered that I was able to do the duties required of sitting in this row. She said “thanks,” while several elites behind me were laughing.

2nd time, Mrs Zip was boarding with a cane; she had the exit row, while I was upgraded. The agent started to panic when Mrs Zip BP caused the beep and she saw Mrs Zip’s cane.
I quickly mentioned that she was taking my seat in first and I would be sitting in the exit row. For some reason she glared at me, but did allow us through.

Hasn't happened to me since, but I haven't been in an exit row since then.

Last edited by Zip; Jun 19, 12 at 6:53 pm Reason: change spelling
Old Jun 19, 12, 6:53 pm

I'll give my 2 cents on this issue.

Being an FA, the exit row seating should be for passengers who are willing and able to help the crew out in an emergency, not for passengers who just want the added legroom.
Old Jun 19, 12, 6:59 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM, 1K; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
I'll give my 2 cents on this issue.

Being an FA, the exit row seating should be for passengers who are willing and able to help the crew out in an emergency, not for passengers who just want the added legroom.
You must love those passengers who say they sit in the exit row so they can be the first one out in an emergency. As someone who was seated in an exit row during an emergency, and working with the one FA (regional jet), that comment really upsets me. I want to thank you for your commitment to proper procedure.

Search this Thread