Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exit row and boarding-pass scanner

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Zip
I was agreeimng with you. The "comment" was a reference back to when I said that I hear passengers state they want the exit row seat so they could be "the first one out" in an emergency. Guess some commments earlier in this thread proves that they are not all joking, amd they have no intention of helping out in an emergency. Again, thanks to you and Hachiko for bringing this to everyone's attention.

Mrs Zip and I WERE in an exit row on a RJ that had an emergency landing, fire trucks and all waiting for us when we finally attempted the landing (was done safely). I posted about this in 8 or 9 years ago, one of my earlier posts on FlyerTalk! The very young FA did a great job of communication with us what was expended of us.
Oh okay now i got you i misread your comment my apologies. Glad everyone got out okay on your flight. The exit rows and those especially sitting right next to the exits be they floor level exits, or window exits should be for people who are able to accept the added responsibility for the exit row, not ones who just want the added legroom, or so they can slouch during the flight.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by sweeper20
Then you should talk to your employer about how those seats are obtained. It's a "perk" for their best customers. If it were truly all about safety, YOUR EMPLOYER should have different rules in place - not dangle it as a benefit. I agree overall that passengers who sit in exit rows should be willing to help, but if the main reason you sit there is to help, then they should be selecting the most able bodied on the plane - not advertising it as a benefit for elites. And yes, power trip certainly defines what you said.
Next time I'm working a flight you're on I'll be sure to let whoever sit there, regardless of whether they understand or seem to care about the expected actions of a person in the exit row.

For the record, I've moved approximately 1 person from the exit row in two years. And that was because he refused to get off his phone so that he could be briefed. I gave him three opportunities. After the third, I told him to move back to 14 so that I could brief my exit row and get the flight out on time.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Platinum)
Originally Posted by linsj
Last night when my boarding pass was scanned at SFO, the machine buzzed, alerting the GA to the fact that my seat was in an exit row. She stopped to ask me if I was able and willing to perform the duties associated with this row.

If I'm not upgraded, I'm in an exit row. This is the first time the machine has buzzed though. Is this now the norm or only in SFO?

I like this enhancement. The last time I was in an exit row, many of the seats were occupied by non-English speaking people who couldn't grasp what they were required to do in an emergency. Discovering a situation like this before boarding may be easier to deal with than onboard.
This Sunday I had an exit row seat. I got the beep when the BP was scanned and the GA looks up at me and says "you know you have an exit row, right?" and I nodded slightly confusedly and said "yeah" and then she waived me on.

Maybe not all the GAs know the exact reason for the beep quite yet.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Read the safety card - it says right on there, and also reiterated in the safety video/briefing.
You DO read the safety card, right?
For the record I never sat in the exit row in my life -- so no, I never read that card. Its true they dangle it in front of you as an elite perk. I would never want to rely on someone to assist in an emergency just because he's a 1k!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:46 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Let's limit our discussion to the topic: Exit row and boarding-pass scanner

Feel free to start other threads in the appropriate forum which address other exit row issues.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hachiko
Next time I'm working a flight you're on I'll be sure to let whoever sit there, regardless of whether they understand or seem to care about the expected actions of a person in the exit row.

For the record, I've moved approximately 1 person from the exit row in two years. And that was because he refused to get off his phone so that he could be briefed. I gave him three opportunities. After the third, I told him to move back to 14 so that I could brief my exit row and get the flight out on time.
So was that approximately <1 or 1> person? We need to know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.