Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many miles do I get when traveling with family?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many miles do I get when traveling with family?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, US
Question How many miles do I get when traveling with family?

I traveled twice to SFO with my wife, nanny and 2 kids in the last few months. (This was on US Air, but FF# for all tickets was set to my UA FF account). Any reason I would get 2500 miles for each way instead of 2500*5? Do I *need* to get separate FF #'s for each of us and transfer miles? (Tricky with the nanny.) I'd be amazed if it was N miles per flight regardless of seats booked... But I've never dealt with multiple tickets before (and haven't done FF programs since the early 90's).
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Frequent Flyer miles are only earnable by the person actually flying. ie, you can't earn miles for your wife or kids, but they can earn miles for themselves.

They will need to join Mileage Plus, and give their FF number when flying.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by jesup
I traveled twice to SFO with my wife, nanny and 2 kids in the last few months. (This was on US Air, but FF# for all tickets was set to my UA FF account). Any reason I would get 2500 miles for each way instead of 2500*5? Do I *need* to get separate FF #'s for each of us and transfer miles? (Tricky with the nanny.) I'd be amazed if it was N miles per flight regardless of seats booked... But I've never dealt with multiple tickets before (and haven't done FF programs since the early 90's).
Where you were flying FROM to get to SFO matters as to how many miles you'll accrue. Putting your FF# on other family members (or anyone's) name won't work as the name & #'s MUST match. Frankly, I'm surprised your # stuck to the reservation to begin with for the others.

You can set up accounts for each of them and then try getting the US miles to post, but good luck!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 1:05 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jesup
.... Do I *need* to get separate FF #'s for each of us and transfer miles? ....
yes you will need seperate FF #s and you will find transfering miles is expensive. 1.5cpm when you can just buy miles for 2 to 3 cpm.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, US
Sheesh... What a pain to juggle all those. Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Once you set up their accounts, it won't be so hard. Or you could just not do anything. That's what many people do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.