Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is infant ticket price based on economy fare when it clears the upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

I was chatting with the UA rep to make reservation for me and my infant. I made my booking and used my global upgrade certificate, which I am waitlisted currently.
While making the infant reservation, the rep mentioned infant ticket will be calculated on which class I am traveling. So she asked me to wait and do it later after my upgrade clears or at the airport.
According to her, infant will be charged based on business class fare if the upgrade clears. Is this true?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by soap_bubbles
According to her, infant will be charged based on business class fare if the upgrade clears. Is this true?
Yup...the infant fare is based on the cabin the adult is traveling in.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: nobody
Assuming you are getting the lap child ticket, in the old day at PMUA side it is based on the cabin class of the traveling adult at booking. If upgrade cleared at the later date, the lap child will not charge extra fare for that. If the GPU clear at the time of booking, then the lap child fare will be 10% of the business fare for International flights. That was my experience 2 years ago. I don't have any way to test this now as no infant in our family at the moment.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
The last time I did this the agent suggested (and I agreed) that they process the infant "upgrade" then and charge the extra fees, etc. on the assumption that the upgrade would clear. They noted this in the PNR, and the extra fees were charged.

The upgrade cleared at the gate and I was lucky they had done this, as they originally started to tell me I couldn't receive the upgrade because of the infant until they saw the notes in the PNR that the extra charges had been collected already.

May be worth calling them to do it now rather than wait - you can get it refunded if you don't clear.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Since the 10% is sometimes based on the fare available when it is paid (YMMV), it could be advantageous to pay for the infant ticket now rather than later.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat

I just did this last year. I paid the infant portion in advance and had it noted in the PNR. As was just mentioned, I too almost lost my upgrade but the preemptive measure helped. I was prepared to pay the percent biz fare for my son (14 months at the time) and thought I did myself until I tallied my receipts after the trip--my son's ticket was charged based on economy fare. Lucked out.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx
Infants traveling between the U.S. and Canada only pay taxes on the ticket. Infants traveling without a seat to other international destinations are charged 10% of the adult fare at the time of infant ticketing (it is usually less expensive to purchase the infant ticket in advance). Infants traveling on an adult’s lap on front cabin rewards or upgrades must pay 10% of the front cabin fare in applicable markets.
I got the same answer pre 3/3 as well (although it was not spelled out on the website and according to reports often it was not enforced)
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
FYI, whichever way you do it, there appear to be some unresolved issues post-merger: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lap-child.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.