Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Request advice for securing a Y window seat next to an empty middle seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Request advice for securing a Y window seat next to an empty middle seat

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Request advice for securing a Y window seat next to an empty middle seat

I realize there are no guarantees, but would still appreciate any advice on increasing my chances of having an empty seat next to me in Y when I fly BKK-NRT this Monday. (FWIW, I have a GPU pending but am not confident about it clearing despite the flight indicating J8 right now.)

Right now I'm in the exit row window, with the middle seat open. There are about 10 other rows in E+ that have all seats or two seats (window/aisle) available. (Only middle seats are open in E-). Flight showing Y9.

I'm assuming that some empty E+ seats will certainly be filled via new ticket purchases, assigning seats for tickets already purchased and Silvers moving into E+ at T-24. But to the extent that some remain open, am I correct in assuming:

1. The exit row middle next to me will be filled.
2. If I switch from the exit row, best to do so to a row where the aisle already is filled, the further back in E+ the better.

Or...

3.Do you think I should simply keep the exit row window and ask at check-in and/or the United Club whether any window seats remain with the adjacent middle one empty? (And can check-in or the Club assign such seats these days, or with the restrictions on what can be done after T-24 can that only be done at the gate?)

Thanks for any help!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I realize there are no guarantees, but would still appreciate any advice on increasing my chances of having an empty seat next to me in Y when I fly BKK-NRT this Monday. (FWIW, I have a GPU pending but am not confident about it clearing despite the flight indicating J8 right now.)

Right now I'm in the exit row window, with the middle seat open. There are about 10 other rows in E+ that have all seats or two seats (window/aisle) available. (Only middle seats are open in E-). Flight showing Y9.

I'm assuming that some empty E+ seats will certainly be filled via new ticket purchases, assigning seats for tickets already purchased and Silvers moving into E+ at T-24. But to the extent that some remain open, am I correct in assuming:

1. The exit row middle next to me will be filled.
2. If I switch from the exit row, best to do so to a row where the aisle already is filled, the further back in E+ the better.

Or...

3.Do you think I should simply keep the exit row window and ask at check-in and/or the United Club whether any window seats remain with the adjacent middle one empty? (And can check-in or the Club assign such seats these days, or with the restrictions on what can be done after T-24 can that only be done at the gate?)

Thanks for any help!

DON'T SWITCH FROM EXIT ROW as long as your seat reclines. You could end up in a regular E+ / E- seat w someone next to you so might as well have leg room.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
but would still appreciate any advice on increasing my chances of having an empty seat next to me in Y
Suggestions:
  • Don't wear deodorant
  • Carry on a conversation with yourself with dramatic hand gestures
  • Make a batch of vanilla pudding. Put in mayo jar. Start eating it.
  • Grab some religious pamphlets and hand them to the person that takes the seat next to you the second they sit down
  • Tell the person next to you that you're on your way back from Africa, might be contagious and you really shouldn't have eaten all that sushi that smelled "kinda funny"
  • Tell the person next to you you're a FT'er and have "some thoughts about this merger"

Or just do what I do:
  • If there's an open seat somewhere else on the plane use your drink chits (if you have 'em) to bribe the person to move (that's why them give them to us, right?)

Safe travels.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
DON'T SWITCH FROM EXIT ROW as long as your seat reclines. You could end up in a regular E+ / E- seat w someone next to you so might as well have leg room.
Very good point. Thanks!

Originally Posted by belynch
Suggestions:
  • Don't wear deodorant
  • Carry on a conversation with yourself with dramatic hand gestures
  • Make a batch of vanilla pudding. Put in mayo jar. Start eating it.
  • Grab some religious pamphlets and hand them to the person that takes the seat next to you the second they sit down
  • Tell the person next to you that you're on your way back from Africa, might be contagious and you really shouldn't have eaten all that sushi that smelled "kinda funny"
  • Tell the person next to you you're a FT'er and have "some thoughts about this merger"

Or just do what I do:
  • If there's an open seat somewhere else on the plane use your drink chits (if you have 'em) to bribe the person to move (that's why them give them to us, right?)

Safe travels.
LOL! But your suggestions are the things I normally do anyway. Doesn't everyone?

If you hear of someone getting removed from that flight, you'll know I followed some of your advice.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
How are the other fare buckets doing? How does E- look? Is it filled to the brim or is it wide open as well? (e.g., Could there be a lot of Y passengers without seat assignments?)

Keep the exit row. Are you going to be happy if something somehow comes up between when you change your seat out of the exit row to when someone gets assigned that middle seat you thought would be free?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
It's a gamble, but I have found that like most seats the middles fill from front to back, so if you want to maximize your chances pick the last E+ row with an empty middle.

Of course, as others say you could lose the gamble if they fill all the seats, but from what you've described-Y9 and empty E- middles it seems unlikely unless there are a lot of silvers who prefer middles in E+ or there are a lot of unassigned seats so they need to assign E+ for free (which Y9 suggests isn't very likely).
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I think I've seen more middle seats in exit rows than in other E+ seats. I would take my chances and stay there.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:56 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
From my experience this flight tends to be VERY full, so I'd stick with exit (which I personally normally do unless I clear the u/g), because you probably still end up with someone next to you (even/especially in E-).

But they also clear a lot of u/g into Biz.

EmailKid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.