FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   A New Low for me in UA service (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1356050-new-low-me-ua-service.html)

bkcarolina Jun 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Can someone verify that the number is 800 225 8900? That's the number I used (just checked my records) and I don't think (by the unaccented American English) it was someone in India, but I didn't think to ask about that. I was actually in the USA at the time of making the call.

WineCountryUA Jun 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by bkcarolina (Post 18751786)
Can someone verify that the number is 800 225 8900? ....

should be just a regular reservations line. Years ago it was for 1Ps but when PMUA when to routing by MP# the specialness of the phone number disappeared.

LIH Prem Jun 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by bkcarolina (Post 18751786)
Can someone verify that the number is 800 225 8900? That's the number I used (just checked my records) and I don't think (by the unaccented American English) it was someone in India, but I didn't think to ask about that. I was actually in the USA at the time of making the call.

unfortunately there's no more elite desk. Just another enhancement since March 3 that doesn't make a lot of sense to most of us.

A good rule is the one given earlier, if you get a bad agent or one that seems unwilling or unable to assist, politely end the call and call again. Repeat as necessary. Don't stay on any longer than necessary to reach that point.

Some of the replies from my fellow FTers in this thread made me cringe. I hope you treat them the same way you should handle the bad phone agent. (ignore them and move on to the next reply.)

-David

exerda Jun 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by JNelson113 (Post 18751467)
This is exactly why so many of us PMUA flyers are heartbroken over what is going on. In the past I was well taken care of by UA and had complete faith and trust that they would do right by me. Now I approach each interaction with a wary attitude, cultivated by too many errors on their part and conversations with clueless/unpleasant agents.

IME a lot of PMUA agents want to have our backs but are crippled by the systems and rules they're dealing with now. I have had several very good agents today proactively helping me through irrops... but SHARES has meant each had to spend 15+ minutes on things PMUA did in 30 seconds before. It took two agents 20 minutes to issue me a BP for rerouted flights (after 45 on the phone); another took 15 minutes just to change seats.

channa Jun 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 18752256)
IME a lot of PMUA agents want to have our backs but are crippled by the systems and rules they're dealing with now. I have had several very good agents today proactively helping me through irrops... but SHARES has meant each had to spend 15+ minutes on things PMUA did in 30 seconds before. It took two agents 20 minutes to issue me a BP for rerouted flights (after 45 on the phone); another took 15 minutes just to change seats.

+1

The system and business processes are just so slow to get anything done.

Even if I get things handled the way I want them, the time it takes is so unreasonable, and so much more than with PMUA. I don't even call UA unless I have an hour to kill on an issue (it usually takes less, but there's no such thing as a 5-minute call to resolve anything anymore).

So even with the most helpful, courteous, and compliant staff in the world, sadly, the customer service is still sub-par.

formeraa Jun 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 18746645)
Rule 1 - When you get an unreasonable CSR, politely thank them, hang up and redial.

That said, all you were owed was transportation IAD-VIE. So long as that's what you got, your contract has been fulfilled.

+1,000,000 It's really best in these cases to politely thank the agent for their time and hang up and call again. It sounds like you got domestic agents who weren't trained to do international flights.

Thunderroad Jun 13, 2012 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 18752256)

Originally Posted by channa (Post 18752566)
+1

Even if I get things handled the way I want them, the time it takes is so unreasonable, and so much more than with PMUA. I don't even call UA unless I have an hour to kill on an issue (it usually takes less, but there's no such thing as a 5-minute call to resolve anything anymore).

So even with the most helpful, courteous, and compliant staff in the world, sadly, the customer service is still sub-par.

+2

And of course, having such a lousy system drives other CSRs to display lousy attitudes, avoid being helpful, etc. I'm not excusing such attitudes and lack of helpfulness - it was not unheard of at pmUA - but it's more likely to happen when they don't know the complicated fix to a formerly simple problem, are daunted by the time it will take to deal with it, are reaching the end of their shift, etc.

estnet Jun 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 18752566)
+1

+1

exerda Jun 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Of course, having defended the agents who helped me out today, I then came across one who could give the baggage agents at IAD a run for their money in terms of bad service. :mad:

At RIC, it seemed like they had only loaded about 1/4 of the plane's bags--funny seeing as how the flight was an hour delayed out of ORD; I guess they rushed it out of ORD. My bag only needed to go 4 gates over, but it didn't make it.

I get in line at the claim office and also get on the phone to the baggage service folks. Agent loudly tells me to "get out of the window" (??) and "step out of line if I am going to be on the phone." HUH?! I'm trying to avoid a possible lengthy wait and at least get the process rolling. She then lectures that it doesn't matter if we call, but that only the local office (her) can enter the claim.

Needless to say, I got my info to the phone agent and stormed out of the airport rather than wait around another hour with such a surly employee. :td:

davewang202 Jun 13, 2012 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99 (Post 18746984)
As a customer of UA, I find it very depressing to read more and more stories like this.

So UA makes a unilateral change without telling the customer and then accuses the customer of having made a change, and refuses to help any further. Short of a lawsuit, is there anything that we can do to force UA to help fix the situation?

Doesn't anyone at UA give a d*mn anymore? :(

I am happy to report a positive experience with a UA agent today - someone named "Cathy".

I didn't get her full name, but here's what happened.

1. I had a cancelled ticket with some value above the $150 change fee that I wanted to use. I tried to change it on the web site which wouldn't let me so what I needed to do, so I had to call.

2. I called the "1K line". To my surprise, "Cathy" answered "1K desk, how may I help you?"

3. I already had my new itinerary picked out, with the exact class, time, routing, etc. all figured out, so no complicated decision process on my part to hold up the call.

4. It was quite clear from the call that "Cathy" was professional, experienced, and knew what the heck she was talking about. The only thing that was holding up the reservation process was her computer. She occasionally let it slip that she was having a difficult time wrangling with the computer.

5. After some baiting about SHARES from me, she did tell me that if I ever visited Chicago, she would find a few of the PMUA agents crying over their computers.

6. After I got my tickets sorted out, I asked her to handle another lingering issue with some tickets that I had purchased for my brother-in-law's family vacation. "Cathy" couldn't fix that mess, but she researched the issue, then came back and explained clearly what the issues were, and why the 4 previous agents I had spoken to on the phone previously on the topic couldn't fix the issue. (3 of those 4 were completely clueless and useless)

7. After I hung up the phone, I was quite happy that at least I got someone that cared, and United's customer service wasn't completely dead yet. However, I was also a bit sad that I couldn't get someone like Cathy on the customer service line every time.

SFOTurtle Jun 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad (Post 18746741)
As for your second point, the contract technically might have been fulfilled but the customer service was atrocious. UA had it in its power to make this right. It couldn't be bothered to do so.

100% correct.

majortom Jun 14, 2012 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Jorgen (Post 18746182)
But did you try phoning up again to see if you could get a more reasonable agent?

The real problem in this whole dealio, as far as I'm concerned, is United's habit of changing itineraries without even bothering to send out an email about it. Seriously, United, you can email me sixteen pieces of advertising per week but can't be bothered to mention "oh btw we cancelled your flight and you're now flying on the redeye via Adis Ababa"?

Actually, to me the real problem is that if you call three times you will get three different sets of responses.

Mind you I've had an uphill battle arguing that last point on here before; apparently the average flyertalker checks their itineraries three times a day, just for fun. (Aw, who am I kidding? I do it too!)
I am really lucky that I have not had this issue yet, as I never check my itinerary.

exerda Jun 14, 2012 9:13 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 18749792)
I just wanted to remind Mike that FT is a small community with (11) vocal members. Getting 'depressed' about the state of UA because of comments you read on FT is really not the way to react to what you read here.

Oh, I think it goes a bit beyond "11 vocal members of FT."

I'm hearing negative comments from all sorts of pax standing in line to board, at check-in, onboard, etc., and surely they're not all FTers, unless FT is a much larger community than thought.

But to me, more depressing is my personal experience that service seems to be at best holding steady and at worst sliding back--we should really be seeing improvements by now. Either I'm incredibly unlucky, or there are still some serious issues UA needs to confront.

gegarrenton Jun 14, 2012 9:15 am

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 18755669)

I'm hearing negative comments from all sorts of pax standing in line to board, at check-in, onboard, etc., and surely they're not all FTers, unless FT is a much larger community than thought.

But to me, more depressing is my personal experience that service seems to be at best holding steady and at worst sliding back--we should really be seeing improvements by now. Either I'm incredibly unlucky, or there are still some serious issues UA needs to confront.

I agree. I hear it from my fellow travelers, see it all over Facebook, in the news, etc...

LarkSFO Jun 14, 2012 10:22 am

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 18755669)

I added the (11) to my post with a later edit.

Just trying to be funny, and to keep alive the reference to the so called 'Gang of 11'. :)

My service with UA continues to be 'acceptable'. Definitely room for improvement. But I expect 'acceptable', and am satisifed with what I am receiving.