FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Seating entitlements for split PNRs after equipment change? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1355176-seating-entitlements-split-pnrs-after-equipment-change.html)

Darlox Jun 10, 2012 2:51 pm

Seating entitlements for split PNRs after equipment change?

My wife and I are traveling together but our PNRs have been split. UA did an equipment change from a non-E+ plane to one with E+. Since I'm 1K and she's a lowly Silver, I kept my old seat while she got bumped to the back of the bus.

Now I can't seem to get us put back together without paying the E+ fee for silver. I'm inclined to just keep calling until I get an agent who is willing to do this, but is there any policy on seating after an equipment change I could reference?? I'm 0 for 2 so far...

I know it's been said before, but this split PNR crap HAS to stop!!!! Either let us keep companions together regardless of PNR, honor valid selections made prior to schedule and equipment changes, or quit playing games with reservations containing mixed statuses! Absolutely infuriating.

sbm12 Jun 10, 2012 3:58 pm

They can see in the system that the PNRs were originally tied together. The baggage benefits apply based on originally being on the same PNR and the E+ should, too. Explaining that it was booked as a single PNR and eventually split so the benefits should still apply would be the path I'd take.

j1j2j38 Jun 10, 2012 4:00 pm

I haven't had problems in similar situations getting a silver companion into e+ prior to 24 hours when booked on different PNRs, but I guess they are maybe enforcing the same PNR to bring companions into e+ more than they used to. (Obviously you have to do it on the phone, it will charge you online). The last time I did it was back in mid april though. More recently I got upgraded to F leaving my silver companion in e+. She didn't get booted out but I wasn't able to move her from middle seat to occupy my then empty window seat. Not sure if this situation ever worked though since at that point we aren't in the same cabin anymore.
But yes, split PNRs are ridiculous all around.

Darlox Jun 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Just a note that 3rd time was the charm here... after getting run-around by the first 2, Agent #3 put us back together without question.

However, the comment about upgrades is probably prophetic... That has happened to us as well, where I get upgraded and then whichever of us loses the coin-flip to stay in back ends up in a middle seat because we cannot change the non-1K passenger's seat outside of 24h w/o paying the fee.

Not a huge fan of DL in general, but I have to say that my overall annoyance level flying them lately has been microscopic compared to problem after problem after problem doing the simplest things on UA. :(

Antipode Jun 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Darlox (Post 18732840)
Just a note that 3rd time was the charm here... after getting run-around by the first 2, Agent #3 put us back together without question.

However, the comment about upgrades is probably prophetic... That has happened to us as well, where I get upgraded and then whichever of us loses the coin-flip to stay in back ends up in a middle seat because we cannot change the non-1K passenger's seat outside of 24h w/o paying the fee.

Not a huge fan of DL in general, but I have to say that my overall annoyance level flying them lately has been microscopic compared to problem after problem after problem doing the simplest things on UA. :(

One obvious workaround would be to give the 1K the worse seat out of the two in Y so that if the 1K upgrades but the companion doesn't, then you keep the better Y seat.

ibuyyoufly Jun 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Had a similar problem on Friday. Called CS, call quickly answered, and he saw we were both originally on the same PNR. He gave my flying partner the CPU to match what I had been given. The resolve was quick.

I also just filled out the survey for that trip. Chose the option "Something Else" so I could politely ask they stop splitting PNR's and provided some input that suggests if they did, it would make me a happier customer and require fewer calls to CS.

goalie Jun 10, 2012 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18732737)
They can see in the system that the PNRs were originally tied together. The baggage benefits apply based on originally being on the same PNR and the E+ should, too. Explaining that it was booked as a single PNR and eventually split so the benefits should still apply would be the path I'd take.

Wouldn't eliminating the more-trouble-than-it's-worth auto splitting of PNR's be the better way to go and leave it up to the pax if they want to split their PNR? Or is that asking too much of SHARES? :rolleyes:

sbm12 Jun 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 18733333)
Wouldn't eliminating the more-trouble-than-it's-worth auto splitting of PNR's be the better way to go and leave it up to the pax if they want to split their PNR?

Perhaps. But I was actually addressing the practical question at hand rather than ranting about something that we're not going to change anyways.

goalie Jun 11, 2012 10:26 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 18733623)

Originally Posted by goalie
Wouldn't eliminating the more-trouble-than-it's-worth auto splitting of PNR's be the better way to go and leave it up to the pax if they want to split their PNR? Or is that asking too much of SHARES?

Perhaps. But I was actually addressing the practical question at hand rather than ranting about something that we're not going to change anyways.

To me (or at least imho), that does address the question at hand as the person had their PNR auto-split which they did not want to happen and that caused "issues". Now, when you say "we're not going to change anyways" do you speak for the airline and if yes, can you share the information that this in fact is not going to change?