Complete Mess in LAS - 6/7/12

Old Jun 7, 12, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP 1P
Complete Mess in LAS - 6/7/12

Wow, United is melting down in LAS right now. UA487 to IAD came in with a broken landing gear door, and is on MX now. Probably waiting for a new ac from SFO putting us ~4 hours late. They told everyone with a connection to get in line to rebook. All of us IAD bound were told to wait. There aren't many other UA options out of LAS.

Next there is a flight to DEN at the same gate, but the GAs are scrambling because the broken plane is still at the gate, and there is a huge mix of pax between people trying to rebook missed connections at IAD, and pax showing up for DEN. The line for the gate desk is easily over 100 pax. The DEN flight just got cancelled!

Add to the mix there was a ground stop for air force one, delaying a bunch of flights, and its starting to feel like a cattle ranch in here.
Old Jun 7, 12, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Don't

Do not line up. Call the carrier to rebook or decide what is best.
Old Jun 7, 12, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Mr Obama is in LAS till 3pm. He left us here in LA with the usual delay disaster. Hunker down...it should be bad today in LAS>
Old Jun 7, 12, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
Mr Obama is in LAS till 3pm. He left us here in LA with the usual delay disaster. Hunker down...it should be bad today in LAS>
That guy never stops screwing me over, does he?? (LOL! Take a joke!)

I'm on the LAS-EWR red eye tonight ..... Hoping it'll be all clear by then.
Old Jun 7, 12, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit View Post
Do not line up. Call the carrier to rebook or decide what is best.
Only partially my advice. You should immediately call the carrier while getting in line. That way you'll be ahead of the game when it comes to actually reprinting your tickets, or maybe you'll clear the line while still on hold.
Old Jun 7, 12, 4:16 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

The good news - landed 30 minutes early today in LAS.

The bad - waited on the plane for over an hour until the Prez left. Our gate still had a plane parked at it and they were not allowed to push back until AF1 left. So we were stuck in the Penalty Box.
Old Jun 7, 12, 4:16 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by dmurphynj View Post
That guy never stops screwing me over, does he?? (LOL! Take a joke!)

I'm on the LAS-EWR red eye tonight ..... Hoping it'll be all clear by then.
Politics aside, it does seem pretty unreasonable to land Air Force One at McCarran when Nellis Air Force Base is just a few miles further away and he could land there without disrupting thousands of people.

[Off-topic comments deleted by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 7, 12 at 10:43 pm Reason: See above.
Old Jun 7, 12, 4:24 pm

Programs: Maker's Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
it does seem pretty unreasonable to land Air Force One at McCarran when Nellis Air Force Base is just a few miles further away
I was wondering the same thing. Anyone knows why Nellis isn't the preferred option? Couldn't find a slot in between all the intergalactic traffic?
Old Jun 7, 12, 4:31 pm

Politics aside, it does seem pretty unreasonable to land Air Force One at McCarran when Nellis Air Force Base is just a few miles further away and he could land there without disrupting thousands of people.

Hey Barry, y'see where it says "Air Force" on the side of the plane? Y'see where it says "Air Force Base" on the map? That should be a clue!
It actually would still affect LAS. No air traffic can move with a certain radius of Air Force One. When el presidente is theoretically landing at Nellis, traffic at LAS would still be stopped.
Old Jun 7, 12, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
And wasn't he at UNLV? Isn't that materially closer to LAS from a ground handling perspective? Would the road closures have been as bad (or worse?) from Nellis? I don't have a clue, so I'm asking in all honesty.
Old Jun 7, 12, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Slightly off topic but anybody know what they do when AF1 lands at HNL since the runway is shared with Hickham AFB? Seems like the obvious choice would be to de-plane at Hickham to avoid making problems at HNL like those described at LAS today.
Old Jun 7, 12, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Hachiko View Post
It actually would still affect LAS. No air traffic can move with a certain radius of Air Force One. When el presidente is theoretically landing at Nellis, traffic at LAS would still be stopped.
It would still affect LAS, but to a much lesser degree. While parts of the airspace would be shut down, it would only be for a very brief period of time (takeoff and initial climbout), whereas when AF1 is actually at the airport they shut down all ground movement while he is on-site (which can sometimes be upwards of 30 minutes).
Old Jun 7, 12, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP

Hey Barry, y'see where it says "Air Force" on the side of the plane? Y'see where it says "Air Force Base" on the map? That should be a clue!
NAFB is hardly a few miles away from LAS. The drive from LAS to NAFB is almost 30 minutes. If the pres was at the strip (or UNLV) the drive from LAS is 5 minutes.
Old Jun 7, 12, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SFO 1K View Post
Would the road closures have been as bad (or worse?) from Nellis?
Probably, and that affects WAY more people.

I've been on the inside of the motorcade once. They focus very much on minimizing time where POTUS is not in a controlled environment. Relatively speaking that means screw the airport and its passengers in favor of a shorter drive.
Old Jun 7, 12, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by gradsflyer View Post
Slightly off topic but anybody know what they do when AF1 lands at HNL since the runway is shared with Hickham AFB? Seems like the obvious choice would be to de-plane at Hickham to avoid making problems at HNL like those described at LAS today.
They do take the plane over to the Hickam side of the ramp (plane's easier to secure over there too). I was able to see AF1 fly in once while I was in HI for winter break since my parents were stationed there at the time. I was within 300 feet of AF1 when it parked, and right next to the road the motorcade took.

Search this Thread