Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Pass for United Club Access (Discontinued)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Michael D
United Club members and their guests are entitled to a gate pass to get through security and access the United Club at domestic airports, regardless of whether or not they are traveling.
Purchasing a one time Club pass does not entitle on to a gate pass. That is a benefit of United Club members until Aug 18, 2016.
*** AUGUST 2015 UPDATE ***

UA has announced that same day boarding passes will be required for UA club access effective August 18, 2016.

In a clarification, UA Insider clarified that there will be no more gate passes. See Post 195 at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-travel-6.html

Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:
1.What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

The following information applies prior to that date.

There is a lot of confusion about this arrangement, so it is helpful to dispel some misimpressions you might have or might encounter: You do not need to book a conference room or make any sort of reservation to obtain a gate pass. Gate passes are an entitlement that come with your United Club membership, and not a discretionary favor. When you obtain a gate pass, your data is put through the same secure flight system that is used to approve boarding pass issuance. There is no reason to think that these gate passes are more of a security risk than the ability to simply buy a same-dayticket at the airport, and there is no evidence that the TSA has in any way limited the airlines' ability to issue gate passes. Gate passes are used extensively for other purposes, such as permitting parents to meet unaccompanied minors at their arrival gate.

To get a gate pass, simply go to a check-in counter at the airport, present your club membership card and photo ID, and ask for one.

At some airports, there are dedicated lanes for this and similar services:
  • EWR: [Fill in location]

You may get push-back from the counter agent, because this is a relatively unusual request. If that happens, try escalating through the following steps:

1. Ask for a gate pass.

2. Reference GG Checkpoint, Line 65** (screenshot courtesy of tarheelnj and updated June 2015) **Note: Nov 2015 update - Reference Line 68.

[IMG][/IMG]

3. Ask for a supervisor.

4. Ask the agent(s) to call the UC.

5. Call the UC directly, and ask them to talk to or directly call the counter agent. Many counter phones have direct lines, and you can ask the counter agent to provide you that info so that the UC can call them.

The phone number for a particular UC can be determined by calling the UC customer service line at 866-822-5827 (open 0800-2000 Central Time, daily). Here are some known phone numbers:
  • [Fill in]

6. Give up, collect the names of everyone you've spoken with, and write to Premier Voice or 1K Voice with a polite request that the folks be retrained, and that a local service manager follow up with you so that you can be assured that you will be provided access next time you visit the airport. This last step may seem like overkill, but it will help ensure that other folks don't end up having the same problem with the agent(s) in the future.

To help track which airports are appropriately applying this policy, please consider noting below whether or not you were successful in obtaining a gate pass using a thumbs-up or thumbs-down icon. Then, provide a more detailed report in a post in this thread if you have time. (E.g.: "Asked at AUS and was denied by a surly agent; quickly gave up because it wasn't worth my time" or "Got a great agent at 1K/Plat check-in at EWR, wanted the pass to take my daughter through security and to the UC, agent took care of it in 2 minutes.")

ATL:
AUS: ^
BOS: ^ I've never been refused in about a half-dozen requests.
CLE: ^ Successful at least 3 times in 2014
DCA: ^ It took a manager making 2 phone calls, but got the passes for myself and my guest.
DFW: ^ Varies by agent. Often they call back to the club to verify that it is permitted.
DEN: ^ At both 1K and GS counters, agents handled with ease when presenting my UC card.
EWR: ^ Special Services
FLL: ^
GUM:
HNL: denied by supervisor "I am the boss"
IAD: ^ with comment that it is "intended for meetings," but no actual hesitation [from GS agent]
IAH: ^
JFK: ^ One instance where supervisor inappropriately denied issuance of gate pass, citing that it was against BA's policy (BA "operated" the terminal).
LAS:
LAX: ^
LGA: Outside of security, so gate pass is not needed.
MCO: The Ticket Agent looked at my United Club card, Passport and issued me a gate pass without question.
MSP: ^ Had to reference the GG Checkpoint line 65, otherwise it went well
ORD: ^
PHL: ^
PHX: ^
PDX: Variable: 1st, ref'd GG 65, then OK, 2nd time, full hassle, needed Super
SAN:
SAT:
SFO: ^ Had no problems previously, but just got refused by two separate agents on 3/14/2015. Had to escalate to supervisor to get the gate pass.
^ 6/19/2015: refused by agent at regular checkin; premier check-in agent first refused, then got ok from supervisor.
SEA: ^
SNA: ^ Agent had to ask another (former) CO agent for assistance, but no problems.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Note: Screen shot outdated - see post 485.

I realize there are several threads on this, some questioning whether this procedure (ability to get a gate pass without a flight reservation using your UC membership) exists, or commenting on an agent who claims it doesn't.

Here is a screenshot I took today (location withheld to protect the accommodating agent) which shows that it's definitely still a valid procedure.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by tarheelnj; Jun 25, 2015 at 7:30 am Reason: Updated June 2015
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:02 pm

Thanks!!!
Judging from the screen I wonder if it is "gg checkpoint" or if it possibly has changed to "gg check point"?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:26 pm

I didn't realize it really meant line 53 in that manual. I thought I was looking at an vi (a linux program) from 1980s for a second. You would think they would simply create a help program (or use windows help) that has easier search features, indexing abilities, clickable GUI. I think I could program that in a day!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by edcho
You would think they would simply create a help program (or use windows help) that has easier search features, indexing abilities, clickable GUI. I think I could program that in a day!
And the next time they need to centrally change a policy and deploy that updated information to every station how long would it take?

Sometimes there is a reason things are maintained in a centralized system.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
And the next time they need to centrally change a policy and deploy that updated information to every station how long would it take?

Honestly? You think centralization of system data is a valid excuse post-2000 to not have a graphical front-end and search mechanism for simple policy look-ups? That's like implying the web is useless because you couldn't update everything in one place (which it's not, and you can, obviously) and we should have all stuck with gopher.

Speaking of the web, I see a web browser, why aren't the system policies maintained on a centralized web server and easily accessible and searchable via an advanced technology called "web browsing"? I realize that could take a month or two of design, test and roll out, but how long has the archaic, apparently "more centrally manageable" system been in place? We're not talking about booking flights or running the airline here, just looking up policies. The screenshot shown is clearly a connection-oriented protocol, so relying on connectivity for access to information is not a hindrance to a multitude of modern, simple interfaces that display something as advanced and complex as simple text.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:25 pm

Well the information can be hosted and synched. That's not an issue at all.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
And what really is the point of this? I have had no issues with this but I am at IAH (still consider CO) and agents gives me pass w/o issues. Maybe some where else might be an issue...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by BillBauman
Honestly? You think centralization of system data is a valid excuse post-2000 to not have a graphical front-end and search mechanism for simple policy look-ups?
No. I think that's a good reason to not use the Windows Help format.

But thanks for not actually reading what I wrote in context.

In fact, I explicitly stated that there is a reason to keep the information centralized. That's all. How it is presented wasn't at all part of my comment.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

In fact, I explicitly stated that there is a reason to keep the information centralized. That's all. How it is presented wasn't at all part of my comment.
I apologize. I really read what you wrote to mean that the existing, centralized system was good enough. I do agree with your sentiments about Windows Help format. Again, my apologies, I really read it the wrong way. Looking back, it was my mistake.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: United Gold
Thank you tarheelnj for posting the picture! I'm printing it and bringing it with me the next time I try to get a gate pass. Watch out HNL agents, here I come
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:58 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K

There was no context to your previous post that would necessitate reading it in the way you intended.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
Thank you tarheelnj for posting the picture! I'm printing it and bringing it with me the next time I try to get a gate pass. Watch out HNL agents, here I come
Ha, me too! I've been over twice this week, and both times agents initially looked at me skeptically and asked "are you meeting someone", which absolutely should not matter. But, both times, as soon as I said, "yes, I am", they immediately processed the gate pass and I had it in-hand within 60 seconds. Both visits were very enjoyable ^
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by uwr
There was no context to your previous post that would necessitate reading it in the way you intended.
Really? The part where I explicitly state that sometimes a centralized repository of data is better than a distributed model somehow means I'm objecting to the idea of a different UI? How in the world does that work??
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:00 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Good work here tarheelnj ^ will bookmark this for sure.

SunLover
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:32 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
I'm not sure what this thread is about. If someone wants a gate pass they can get one? And just say 53 to an agent?

I have never flown an airline that I had to show an agent what looks like a screenshot from a NASA command center computer from the first Gemini mission in order to get a policy implemented. Usually I just ask, if the answer is not what I expect I ask how is that reasonable, the agent may or may not show me some contradictory evidence from a computer that looks like it is post-the Apollo missions which makes just as little sense to me and I either accept it or rebook on another carrier.

Usually the agent just does the reasonable thing without either of us exchanging screen shots. I've seen maybe 4 screen shots in 20+ years of flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.