Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Pass for United Club Access (Discontinued)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Michael D
United Club members and their guests are entitled to a gate pass to get through security and access the United Club at domestic airports, regardless of whether or not they are traveling.
Purchasing a one time Club pass does not entitle on to a gate pass. That is a benefit of United Club members until Aug 18, 2016.
*** AUGUST 2015 UPDATE ***

UA has announced that same day boarding passes will be required for UA club access effective August 18, 2016.

In a clarification, UA Insider clarified that there will be no more gate passes. See Post 195 at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-travel-6.html

Hi everyone, some answers for you on this new policy:
1.What about meetings/conference rooms? Will gate passes still be issued?
Customers can still reserve a conference room to use, with or without a same-day boarding pass. We will no longer issue gate passes for other uses.

The following information applies prior to that date.

There is a lot of confusion about this arrangement, so it is helpful to dispel some misimpressions you might have or might encounter: You do not need to book a conference room or make any sort of reservation to obtain a gate pass. Gate passes are an entitlement that come with your United Club membership, and not a discretionary favor. When you obtain a gate pass, your data is put through the same secure flight system that is used to approve boarding pass issuance. There is no reason to think that these gate passes are more of a security risk than the ability to simply buy a same-dayticket at the airport, and there is no evidence that the TSA has in any way limited the airlines' ability to issue gate passes. Gate passes are used extensively for other purposes, such as permitting parents to meet unaccompanied minors at their arrival gate.

To get a gate pass, simply go to a check-in counter at the airport, present your club membership card and photo ID, and ask for one.

At some airports, there are dedicated lanes for this and similar services:
  • EWR: [Fill in location]

You may get push-back from the counter agent, because this is a relatively unusual request. If that happens, try escalating through the following steps:

1. Ask for a gate pass.

2. Reference GG Checkpoint, Line 65** (screenshot courtesy of tarheelnj and updated June 2015) **Note: Nov 2015 update - Reference Line 68.

[IMG][/IMG]

3. Ask for a supervisor.

4. Ask the agent(s) to call the UC.

5. Call the UC directly, and ask them to talk to or directly call the counter agent. Many counter phones have direct lines, and you can ask the counter agent to provide you that info so that the UC can call them.

The phone number for a particular UC can be determined by calling the UC customer service line at 866-822-5827 (open 0800-2000 Central Time, daily). Here are some known phone numbers:
  • [Fill in]

6. Give up, collect the names of everyone you've spoken with, and write to Premier Voice or 1K Voice with a polite request that the folks be retrained, and that a local service manager follow up with you so that you can be assured that you will be provided access next time you visit the airport. This last step may seem like overkill, but it will help ensure that other folks don't end up having the same problem with the agent(s) in the future.

To help track which airports are appropriately applying this policy, please consider noting below whether or not you were successful in obtaining a gate pass using a thumbs-up or thumbs-down icon. Then, provide a more detailed report in a post in this thread if you have time. (E.g.: "Asked at AUS and was denied by a surly agent; quickly gave up because it wasn't worth my time" or "Got a great agent at 1K/Plat check-in at EWR, wanted the pass to take my daughter through security and to the UC, agent took care of it in 2 minutes.")

ATL:
AUS: ^
BOS: ^ I've never been refused in about a half-dozen requests.
CLE: ^ Successful at least 3 times in 2014
DCA: ^ It took a manager making 2 phone calls, but got the passes for myself and my guest.
DFW: ^ Varies by agent. Often they call back to the club to verify that it is permitted.
DEN: ^ At both 1K and GS counters, agents handled with ease when presenting my UC card.
EWR: ^ Special Services
FLL: ^
GUM:
HNL: denied by supervisor "I am the boss"
IAD: ^ with comment that it is "intended for meetings," but no actual hesitation [from GS agent]
IAH: ^
JFK: ^ One instance where supervisor inappropriately denied issuance of gate pass, citing that it was against BA's policy (BA "operated" the terminal).
LAS:
LAX: ^
LGA: Outside of security, so gate pass is not needed.
MCO: The Ticket Agent looked at my United Club card, Passport and issued me a gate pass without question.
MSP: ^ Had to reference the GG Checkpoint line 65, otherwise it went well
ORD: ^
PHL: ^
PHX: ^
PDX: Variable: 1st, ref'd GG 65, then OK, 2nd time, full hassle, needed Super
SAN:
SAT:
SFO: ^ Had no problems previously, but just got refused by two separate agents on 3/14/2015. Had to escalate to supervisor to get the gate pass.
^ 6/19/2015: refused by agent at regular checkin; premier check-in agent first refused, then got ok from supervisor.
SEA: ^
SNA: ^ Agent had to ask another (former) CO agent for assistance, but no problems.
Print Wikipost

Gate Pass for United Club Access (Discontinued)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
Do many people go to the airport just to use the club? Seems like a strange idea. Maybe I missed something you posted.
Depends on the airport and the club, but sure. I'm pretty sure there was one person who had over 100 visits to the DCA club in a calendar year. It was on his commute home and happy hour prices and the view were hard to beat.

I've had occasions where I had to be at the airport for something else - redeeming a paper voucher, meeting folks, flying OAL - and wanted to use the club. It is a nice benefit and one that the company realizes is of value to its members.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
That is decidedly untrue.

Format of data can dictate the amount of data which requires distribution and that can dictate a number of other factors, like bandwidth requirements. You don't get to just click a button and suddenly see the thousands of computers around the globe suddenly have the new data on them. It takes time and other resources to make that happen. One of many reasons that sometimes centralized content is better. Not always, but it can be. This is a great example why
Format of the content has nothing to do with ability to distribute updates, store it centrally, or otherwise update.
The differences are really in the usability of the content and transmission costs. The latter is generally negligible in the last decade compared to benefits of easier use or how much money a company wastes on other products, or even costs of a custom format compared to something frequently used.

If you want to argue that Windows Help is encoded in an expensive to maintain format - by all means, I'm happy to support you. However, saying that shares gg text is optimal just because it's centralized (versus say it's already there and someone hasn't made usability a priority, so the current system is good enough) is dubious at best.

Last edited by okrogius; Jul 8, 2012 at 11:54 am
Old Jul 8, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
Depends on the airport and the club, but sure. I'm pretty sure there was one person who had over 100 visits to the DCA club in a calendar year. It was on his commute home and happy hour prices and the view were hard to beat.
I guess that guy cared less about paying for parking at DCA, and clearing security in search of a cheap/free drink, in comparison to just going to another bar and paying a regular happy hour price.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I guess that guy cared less about paying for parking at DCA, ...
Metro for the commute anyways.

And the view really is pretty sweet.

Originally Posted by okrogius
Format of the content has nothing to do with ability to distribute updates,
...However, saying that shares gg text is optimal just because it's centralized (versus say it's already there and someone hasn't made usability a priority, so the current system is good enough) is dubious at best.
A centralized system which doesn't actually require distribution of content to tens of thousands of nodes really does have offer up some efficiency over distributed systems. And, as you noted, the transmission costs to access that centralized data is pretty cheap.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Do many people go to the airport just to use the club? Seems like a strange idea. Maybe I missed something you posted.
Not frequently, but I'll go when accompanying my 70-something mom or MIL to a flight or meeting one of them on arrival. There was quite an outcry in the AS forum when this benefit was removed from Board Room members some time back.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:29 pm

In my case, I have been known to visit a club just because, but usually I have a reason.

In the case of JFK, the internet had died at the Hilton and I figured what the heck, why not head over to the airport, get on the i-net and enjoy a drink or three.

Dan
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:30 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Failures in CLE

OK, 2 more trys to get a gatepass in CLE. In early June, was told no because I didn’t have a conference room. I called the CLE UC myself, and they said they never heard of granting such access, and anyway they would support the decision of the front desk agents.

On Saturday, tried again, and was refused. Said I was meeting someone, and showed then a printed itinerary with some info on the passenger. They gave me a pass. On showing my credentials at the UC entrance, I asked them about obtaining a gatepass out front to go to the UC. Both agents said they had never heard of such a policy. They would not try to loof at “GG checkpoint line 53.”

Today I called the 866 # for United Club. The one agent I spoke to said that one always needs a reason to get a gatepass, and simply wanting to go to the Club is not good enough.

Good grief, this is a totally ridiculous policy. Does UA want us all to buy refundable tickets, and then cancel them later? If we did this at the front check-in area with an agent, how much time and effort will that cost them??

Last edited by Zip; Jul 16, 2012 at 11:38 am Reason: scrapped misc info
Old Jul 16, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zip
OK, 2 more trys to get a gatepass in CLE. In early June, was told no because I didn’t have a conference room. I called the CLE UC myself, and they said they never heard of granting such access, and anyway they would support the decision of the front desk agents.

On Saturday, tried again, and was refused. Said I was meeting someone, and showed then a printed itinerary with some info on the passenger. They gave me a pass. On showing my credentials at the UC entrance, I asked them about obtaining a gatepass out front to go to the UC. Both agents said they had never heard of such a policy. They would not try to loof at “GG checkpoint line 53.”

Today I called the 866 # for United Club. The one agent I spoke to said that one always needs a reason to get a gatepass, and simply wanting to go to the Club is not good enough.

Good grief, this is a totally ridiculous policy. Does UA want us all to buy refundable tickets, and then cancel them later? If we did this at the front check-in area with an agent, how much time and effort will that cost them??
It seems that recently everybody at UA "do not know" about gg line 53. I tried emailing (about 2-3 months ago) the UC Service center and all I got a response from the director of GS and United Club, and a regular agent at the UC Service center which the former avoided talking about the policy and the latter has apparently "never heard" of the policy.

Even though we have seen the photograph of line 53 Im actually wondering if there is an "exception clause" the precedes it.

Also its kind of weird that Zip got denied at a PMCO hub, which I would guess someone would have given him a pass.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:39 pm

I have gotten many a Gate Pass from KCLE just by showing my PClub card and asking nicely.

I cannot speak for ZIP but there are a few legacy UA employees at KCLE who are less than customer centric and they may not be familiar GG CHECKPOINT LINE 53.

Dan
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:31 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dan1431
I have gotten many a Gate Pass from KCLE just by showing my PClub card and asking nicely.

I cannot speak for ZIP but there are a few legacy UA employees at KCLE who are less than customer centric and they may not be familiar GG CHECKPOINT LINE 53.

Dan
Through April '12, I got in many times using my PC card. Starting in May, I've tried three times (May, June, July), and have not been successful using the new UC card; I winder if that's the problem (can't reeally remember if May was with my PC or new UC card).

I did get in each time using the "I'm meeting someone" line - true in all cases. But lately, they seem to want "proof" of even that - passenger 17 or younger, or over 60, or needs help ...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:18 am

I have never tried using my UC Card, but I did successfully get a gate pass about 2 weeks ago in KCLE without any issue using my PClub card.

The agent pushed back a little and I asked her to check GG CHECKPOINT LINE 53 and she said she was a legacy UA Employee and not exactly sure "how to check GG Anything" (she was really old) and made me wait for a legacy CO employee who took my PClub card/ID and printed a gate pass very quickly.

When the legacy CO Agent printed the gate pass, the legacy UA employee said, we never did that at UA, passengers could not willy nilly visit the club and then rolled her eyes.

Dan
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by am1108
The point of this is to show Recalcitrant UA Agents that we can obtain a gate pass if we are UC Members visiting the club. I tried this at IAD (pmUA hub) and I got shot down, the supervisor told me that I had to book a conference room to visit the UC, and this is after I had told her about line 53.

Now the only question is, whats other excuses can they make up?
This is enormously helpful. I have been a Red Carpet Club member for years, and during the last few years I have NEVER been able to convince a ticketing agent to give me a gate pass. I am putting this on my iPhone so I can use it the next time I meet a friend at the airport.

Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Asked for a Gate Pass the other day (early Sunday) at CLE:

"May I please have a gate pass to the UC?" <show credentials>
"Are you flying today?"
"No."
"Are you on their list?"
"No."
"Sorry, we can't let you through security."
"Please check your Checkpoint files, line 53."
<reads the screen, summons a supervisor>

Same set of questions, again.
Finally supervisor reads Line 53.

"Wow, I did not know we could do that."
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: exUA, WN
No issues at SEA. Biggest hassle was the TA borrowing someone's SHARES cheat sheet to find the commands and the dummy flight number to book me a paper ticket on.

What a system.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by bentruler
No issues at SEA. Biggest hassle was the TA borrowing someone's SHARES cheat sheet to find the commands and the dummy flight number to book me a paper ticket on.

What a system.
SEA has never given me an issue either, but I have had bad luck at SFO and SAN.

At SAN the agent refused to check GG CHECKPOINT, telling me that as a passenger I should not know about GG commands even going as far as saying that she could "report me to TSA" and that she was "going to do me a favor and forget the entire conversation ever happened".

I just bought a refundable ticket on my phone and refunded it on the other end, easy as pie .

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.