Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of Miles Redemption for United Club Membership/Renewal?

Status of Miles Redemption for United Club Membership/Renewal?

Old Nov 17, 12, 7:27 am
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis View Post
This is stupid united.. you seem to be desperate to get me to spend my miles on things other than flights (which I refuse to do as my miles are far more valuable as flights than the crappy rates you have for merchandise..) why not UC membership?
But why would you want to ignore your own good advice and waste "valuable" miles on membership?

RNE, sure in the knowledge that UC membership is not worth the cracker crumbs in which said clubs are festooned.
Old Nov 17, 12, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis View Post
This is stupid united.. you seem to be desperate to get me to spend my miles on things other than flights (which I refuse to do as my miles are far more valuable as flights than the crappy rates you have for merchandise..) why not UC membership?
They do have a fancy newish Club credit card to sell...
Old Dec 2, 12, 8:50 pm
sjl

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Supposedly, 1ks have been approved...

I'm sitting in the UC in PDX. This morning coming in, I heard a guy at the front desk call a number renewing his membership with miles. I approached him to confirm. As we were talking, the lady at desk told him it was for certain people ONLY and they had to approve it first...needless to say he shut up pretty quick.

Tonight, a different agent was at the desk. As an after thought, I asked if 1Ks were approved for renewing with miles yet. She smiled and told me 1Ks were just approved but we had to call the UC line. She wrote down the number. I haven't called since mine doesn't expire until 2/27/13. So...if someone else wants to confirm...
Old Dec 3, 12, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sjl View Post
Tonight, a different agent was at the desk. As an after thought, I asked if 1Ks were approved for renewing with miles yet. She smiled and told me 1Ks were just approved but we had to call the UC line. She wrote down the number. I haven't called since mine doesn't expire until 2/27/13. So...if someone else wants to confirm...
That would be great news... I will check in IAD tomorrow or SFO Wednesday myself, as mine expired at the end of November but should be able to be renewed within 30 days without incurring the "initiation fee."
Old Dec 3, 12, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sjl View Post
I'm sitting in the UC in PDX. This morning coming in, I heard a guy at the front desk call a number renewing his membership with miles. I approached him to confirm. As we were talking, the lady at desk told him it was for certain people ONLY and they had to approve it first...needless to say he shut up pretty quick.

This is such a joke - it's pretty clear here there's no "system limitation" whatsoever that they initially claimed, but instead just trying to sell the Club Card / put the focus on paid club memberships to get the $ versus miles off the books.

UA, get honest already, too much deceit
Old Dec 3, 12, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
My sister's fiancee was in the DFW UC yesterday and said the agent there informed him of the change too. GS and 1Ks are cleared to renew with miles (47,500 for renewal) but must be done by calling or with an agent in the UC. Apparently she told him they're keeping it real quiet and not publicizing it online or in emails because they're REALLY pushing the Club Card from Chase.
Old Dec 3, 12, 9:59 am

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Just called & renewed. 47500 mi 1K ~ UC 1 866 822 5827 a published # on UA website. The CS person I spoke with mentioned same # of miles for all Gold, So maybe in the works....for now GS & 1K.

A further note. I went ahead and renewed now rather than wait. Last year I did not receive my card till June.

Last edited by Pegasus23; Dec 3, 12 at 10:07 am
Old Dec 3, 12, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pegasus23 View Post
Just called & renewed. 47500 mi 1K ~ UC 1 866 822 5827 a published # on UA website. The CS person I spoke with mentioned same # of miles for all Gold, So maybe in the works....for now GS & 1K.

A further note. I went ahead and renewed now rather than wait. Last year I did not receive my card till June.
Thanks--I just called and did so as well, rather than trying in person tomorrow. The agent told me that they had "just gotten permission last week" to do it.
Old Dec 6, 12, 12:44 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Ditto. Called number, 47.5K points. Was told it's only available to 1K and GS members.
Old Dec 7, 12, 6:37 pm

Desk agents at IAH club (near C 33) say platinum members can purchase membership for 50,000 miles, but only via phone - not in person.

Mine lapsed at the end of October, so it'll cost me an extra $50 or 7,000 miles because i'm a new member (more than 30 days lapsed). No thanks.
Old Dec 11, 12, 7:38 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
Renewal with Miles

I just called and renewed (866.822.5827 is the published number). 47,500 for 1 year or was offered 110,000 for three years. Three year membership will not be offered when the new rates go into effect January 1. I decided to just do one year as I have plans requiring the miles later in 2013. Nice they brought back this option for 1K's as I always seem to have more miles than cash.

DEN

Last edited by DEN; Dec 11, 12 at 7:45 am
Old Dec 11, 12, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
My membership expires 7/13. Has any had experience extending membership far in advance of renewal. 110k for 3 years is tempting.
Old Dec 11, 12, 2:31 pm
DEN

Originally Posted by SGJazz View Post
My membership expires 7/13. Has any had experience extending membership far in advance of renewal. 110k for 3 years is tempting.
Mine was expiring 1/30/2013 and there was no problem. I'm pretty certain they would let you renew. If I recall the email they sent regarding the price increase Jan 1, they were incouraging people to renew early.

DEN
Old Dec 11, 12, 2:45 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DEN View Post
Mine was expiring 1/30/2013 and there was no problem. I'm pretty certain they would let you renew. If I recall the email they sent regarding the price increase Jan 1, they were incouraging people to renew early.

DEN
My membership is valid thru 4/10/13. When did you get the email; maybe it was aimed at pax with near term expiry? Is there any mention of the "new" price structure; esp via miles?
Old Dec 12, 12, 4:48 am
DEN

Originally Posted by BH62 View Post
My membership is valid thru 4/10/13. When did you get the email; maybe it was aimed at pax with near term expiry? Is there any mention of the "new" price structure; esp via miles?
I received the email the first week of Nov. They mentioned the new pricing effective Jan 1, but no mention of using miles.

DEN

Search this Thread
Search Engine: