Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Switching seats between Economy and Business with Traveling Companions [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching seats between Economy and Business with Traveling Companions [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Only one oxygen mask per seat makes it impossible.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Isn't there an extra mask in each row for the purpose of lap children, or does that not apply in BC? And, if the seatbelt sign is off, then that's a non-factor. Still, I think we all know that the answer is going to be "no" because it just doesn't "seem right."
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Still, I think we all know that the answer is going to be "no" because it just doesn't "seem right."
Yeah I would definitely find this incredibly annoying if it happened in the seat next to me. Bad enough being squeezed into that space with only one other person for a long-haul flight.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah I would definitely find this incredibly annoying if it happened in the seat next to me. Bad enough being squeezed into that space with only one other person for a long-haul flight.
omg yes
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by giceh
Hi, I tried searching this but only came up with threads that talked about splitting a PNR so that one spouse could get the upgrade while the other remained in economy. For couples who flew separately, did you not see each other until after the flight landed, or could you visit each other during the flight?

My husband is traveling for work and can fly business class. I am going to take vacation and pay out of pocket to accompany him, a trans-atlantic flight of 11 hours. Unfortunately for me, there are no saver award miles for business class, so I redeemed miles for economy.

Now, my husband has never flown business class, so I thought he should try it out. We are both small people and could fit easily in the same seat. Does the United crew discourage people from other cabins to visit other passengers? We wouldn't talk (I think that could be disturbing to others) - we are content just sitting next to each other.

If you are both so tiny that you could easily fit together in one economy seat (that would be about the size of two average one year olds), why would you need a business seat in the first place? Economy should be spacious enough for just one of you; why would you need a lie flat seat? Just stretch out in the E seat. Is this a joke post?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:43 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Kacee
Originally Posted by chavala
omg yes
Not to be a {offensive word removed by moderator}, but I can guarantee you that if anyone tried that in the seat next to mine, either in BF or GF, I'd be calling the flight attendant over immediately.

Last edited by goalie; Feb 11, 2015 at 11:51 am Reason: removed offensive word
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Not to be a {offensive word removed by moderator}, but I can guarantee you that if anyone tried that in the seat next to mine, either in BF or GF, I'd be calling the flight attendant over immediately.
I strongly suspect that if two adults tried this in a premium cabin, you wouldn't have to call the FA over - I think they'd be there on their own immediately.

Last edited by goalie; Feb 11, 2015 at 12:09 pm Reason: edited quoted post to match edited original post
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:03 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by greg99
I strongly suspect that if two adults tried this in a premium cabin, you wouldn't have to call the FA over - I think they'd be there on their own immediately.
Well, as we have experienced, they sometimes "hide" in the galley.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
If you are both so tiny that you could easily fit together in one economy seat (that would be about the size of two average one year olds), why would you need a business seat in the first place? Economy should be spacious enough for just one of you; why would you need a lie flat seat? Just stretch out in the E seat. Is this a joke post?
Because you can save more money !
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
giceh, Was this a serious post?

You actually could both fit into one seat? if the seat width was say 20". you'd both have to have a spread of only 10 inches. Is that even possible?

No, you can't do this. FAs will make the intruder return to their ticketed cabin, and it will be embarrassing. I have watched couples try to switch midflight, and they were stopped every time and told to go back to their seat. The person in business can go back to see the person in economy, but economy can't come up to the front cabin.

Last edited by 6rugrats; Feb 12, 2015 at 2:28 pm
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I was flying LAX-JFK and 5AB was a very IE/Valley looking couple. For a portion of the flight (I saw when I went up and went to the lav twice) they were reclined and cuddling in the A seat.
I guess being strapped in and both having J seats the FA didn't mind?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I was flying LAX-JFK and 5AB was a very IE/Valley looking couple. For a portion of the flight (I saw when I went up and went to the lav twice) they were reclined and cuddling in the A seat.
I guess being strapped in and both having J seats the FA didn't mind?
That's just weird.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
And no it wasn't these two who are apparently a couple on British TV.

Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by 6rugrats
giceh, Was this a serious post?
Yes, I was serious, but I admit I asked an uneducated question because I did not know the seat width in United BusinessFirst was that narrow before posting. I was naively asking based on my experience in business class on Singapore airlines, which was more spacious.

The previous questions asked in this thread were about swapping seats, which was informative and good to know that it can only be done once. But I was specifically interested about the visiting question.

Thanks to everyone's candid feedback, we decided to both sit in economy so we're next to each other and don't need to do any funny swapping or visiting. I only considered sitting separately because my husband never gets to travel business while I have in the past for work. Sorry to infuriate anyone who thought this was a joke question.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Nothing wrong with flying united,, enjoy the mile high club...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.