Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Switching seats between Economy and Business with Traveling Companions [Consolidated]

Switching seats between Economy and Business with Traveling Companions [Consolidated]

Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:53 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Interestingly, AA is getting grief on Twitter right now over a similar issue.

https://twitter.com/AmericanAir/stat...50876792426496
that's not even close to similar. this thread is about the tackiness that is the mid-flight business class swap, what you are quoting is simply trading a seat with a colleague/lover/family/etc. i have done this dozens and dozens of times, pretty sure every flyertalker on a split has done it at least once. some people will do it for armed forces members. there is letter of the law and spirit of the law. Pretty sure DOT isn't investigating such egregious breaches like this:
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/plane......-seat-woman

what an awful response from aa
narvik likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
That response from AA is really wow !!
drewguy and dilanesp like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by physioprof
If you do it once, no one will care. If you make a nuisance of going back and forth between cabins, you will get pushback. Importantly, don't try to discuss this with FAs before you switch. Just have a plan for when you're gonna switch, and then just do it.
Gotcha, thanks
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
First Class Seat

This was on AA passenger got in trouble with FA for giving his first class seat to a relative and trading and taking a coach seat.
In the days I was a CO Elite status flyer and got upgraded to F often. On many occasions gave the first class seat to my mom. A few times on a shorter flight gave the F seat to a stranger so a husband and wife could sit together. The AA FA said it was a security issue to trade seats since first class is located right behind the cockpit. I don’t get that everyone goes through the same security.
Anyone else have issues with this. Do we need to get approved before exchanging seats between first class and coach.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 25, 2020 at 11:29 am Reason: moved to master thread
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
This was on AA passenger got in trouble with FA for giving his first class seat to a relative and trading and taking a coach seat.
In the days I was a CO Elite status flyer and got upgraded to F often. On many occasions gave the first class seat to my mom. A few times on a shorter flight gave the F seat to a stranger so a husband and wife could sit together. The AA FA said it was a security issue to trade seats since first class is located right behind the cockpit. I don’t get that everyone goes through the same security.
Anyone else have issues with this. Do we need to get approved before exchanging seats between first class and coach.
"Security" is just a catch-all conversation ender, because there's no acceptable response.

I have not heard anyone claim that F cabin pax get heightened security screening. And I have no idea how that would be handled with at-the-gate upgrades many airlines use (and if it is, then has anyone every seen an upgrade lost because they didn't meet the "security" requirements?).
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Just saw a article about different airlines and rules about switching seats in classes. United says not allowed do to the safety and security of other passengers. Don’t get that. If I buy a first class ticket I don’t go through extra security. Just because your seating closest to the cockpit door F passengers don’t get extra security.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 2:05 pm

Link cash ticket with award ticket and swap seats

1. I am planning to book AUS-EWR (Economy) using cash and EWR-BOM (Business) with miles. Will I be able to link the 2 tickets and get the same baggage allowance as the EWR-BOM segment?
2. Can 1 family member swap his business seat with another family member's economy seat at the beginning of the flight for the entire duration?

Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2021, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rbaustin
1. I am planning to book AUS-EWR (Economy) using cash and EWR-BOM (Business) with miles. Will I be able to link the 2 tickets and get the same baggage allowance as the EWR-BOM segment?
2. Can 1 family member swap his business seat with another family member's economy seat at the beginning of the flight for the entire duration?

Thanks!
You cannot link tickets. Your greatest risk is a flight irops; book a LONG connection in EWR. Is EWR-BOM less miles than AUS-EWR-BOM? That's rare. Or is there no X/XN available AUS-EWR?
They will check the bag through to BOM in AUS and you should get the business allowance, if you don't buy a BE ticket AUS-EWR, in which case that won't work.
Generally speaking, you are o.k. swapping a seat for the entire flight with a family member; you cannot switch seats during the flight.
rbaustin likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 3:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
1. I am planning to book AUS-EWR (Economy) using cash and EWR-BOM (Business) with miles. Will I be able to link the 2 tickets and get the same baggage allowance as the EWR-BOM segment? ...
You can not link or put on one PNR a cash and award ticket
Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

You can check bags thru two separate UA PNRs. (cash or award) Allow extra time and UA will usually offer the higher allowance
Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

2. Can 1 family member swap his business seat with another family member's economy seat at the beginning of the flight for the entire duration? ...
Doing at boarding and never changing can work -- just inform the head FA. During the flight, that is much trickier. Some crews will allow and a few will push back. At best just once and best not to take things (like food and drinks) back to the other passengers. That sort of sharing is highly frowned upon
rbaustin likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
You cannot link tickets. Your greatest risk is a flight irops; book a LONG connection in EWR. Is EWR-BOM less miles than AUS-EWR-BOM? That's rare. Or is there no X/XN available AUS-EWR?
They will check the bag through to BOM in AUS and you should get the business allowance, if you don't buy a BE ticket AUS-EWR, in which case that won't work.
Generally speaking, you are o.k. swapping a seat for the entire flight with a family member; you cannot switch seats during the flight.
Thank you. I have 5hrs between the 2 legs. Hopefully it will take care of irops. What is a "BE" ticket?
And yes, EWR-BOM is 75k miles, AUS-EWR-BOM is 180k miles. Go figure.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can not link or put on one PNR a cash and award ticket
Is it possible to book award and revenue (cash) tickets on the same PNR? No.

You can check bags thru two separate UA PNRs. (cash or award) Allow extra time and UA will usually offer the higher allowance
Checking baggage through on separate UA operated reservations...

Doing at boarding and never changing can work -- just inform the head FA. During the flight, that is much trickier. Some crews will allow and a few will push back. At best just once and best not to take things (like food and drinks) back to the other passengers. That sort of sharing is highly frowned upon
Yes, swap during boarding and never see them again during the flight.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Thank you. I have 5hrs between the 2 legs. Hopefully it will take care of irops. What is a "BE" ticket?
And yes, EWR-BOM is 75k miles, AUS-EWR-BOM is 180k miles. Go figure
Yes, swap during boarding and never see them again during the flight.
BE ticket is Basic Economy. With that you can't claim to connect to an intl. C-class flight ... they will charge you regardless.
rbaustin likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
You are correct & I was about to point this out. The rule is often inappropriately attributed to FAA, but it's actually DHS which prohibits pax movements between cabins on flights to/from USA.

That said, it's honored in the breach. Best way to get to "yes" is to ask politely, explain that you won't be a bother, don't do it during meal service (I mean the F service) and do it just once. Also, make sure the crew understands that you aren't looking for extra service (in other words, they aren't serving 2 pax the F meals !).

If the answer is "no" just grin and bear it. It only takes one dissatisfied FA to rat out his/her supervisor for the violation.

Or looking for alcohol. Second person doesn’t get alcohol either.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA;33341435
[url
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1752559-checking-baggage-through-separate-ua-operated-reservations.html
Thanks for the link to the other thread. In order to check bags through, they need to create a dummy booking in SHARES and that there needs to be a seat available for them to be able make the booking. Do they need to find a J class seat for the EWR-BOM segment and add it to the AUS-EWR PNR? Or do they need to find a Y class sear for the AUS-EWR segment and add it to the EWR-BOM PNR? Regardless how they do that, the first segment will be Y class and they might only allow Y baggage allowance instead of J allowance. Wanted to confirm this before buying tickets.

Thank you!

Last edited by rbaustin; Jun 20, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Old Jun 20, 2021, 4:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks for the link to the other thread. In order to check bags through, they need to create a dummy booking in SHARES and that there needs to be a seat available for them to be able make the booking. Do they need to find a J class seat for the EWR-BOM segment and add it to the AUS-EWR PNR? Or do they need to find a Y class sear for the AUS-EWR segment and add it to the EWR-BOM PNR? Regardless how they do that, the first segment will be Y class and they might only allow Y baggage allowance instead of J allowance. Wanted to confirm this before buying tickets.

Thank you!
This is why you need to allow extra time. The agent will add the dummy segment (in the class you are booked for with the second ticket) to the first ticket. If the dummy segment is not available it takes some magic and the agent may need help from their Help Desk or an more experience agent.

Once the dummy J segment is in the ticket, the ticket will have a J allowance even if the first segment is in Y.

After getting the bags handled the dummy segment is removed.

Again, allow time for this and don't rush the agent (this is not a popular activity)

More discussion in the referenced thread.
rbaustin likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 2:05 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Seat Swapping

There may be an existing thread for this question, but not sure.

Long haul flight. Wife is in Polaris. I am in Premium Econ with my daughter. We are both 1k (I am MM, wife is my companion). Is there a "courtesy" one-time seat switch allowed in a situation like this? More specifically, my wife would start in Polaris, do the meal service and all. About halfway through the flight, we would do a one-time switch and I would fly the remainder in Polaris. There would be no attempt at double-dipping meals or anything. I would probably just work and sleep.

Anyone ever do this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.