Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United lost my reservation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2012, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
It also might be worthwhile to reconfirm all reservations with the airline (phone rep) 72 hours in advance. This used to be standard procedure in the pre-cell phone and pre-internet days.
Not saying this is actually a bad idea, but given long hold times, the fact that anyone even considers this speaks volumes about the sad state of airline customer service/support. It would be a whole lot easier (i.e., cheaper) to just get it right the first time rather than doing it wrong repetitively.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by LilAbner
Man. I'd be on the phone faster than a New York minute!
If it's a know issue, I'd call & wouldn't hang up until they got it right, right now!!! There was a guy last month that didn't check his flights for months, couldn't check in, went to the airport with his family, and guess what?

I watch this stuff like a hawk, and want it corrected immediately!!!
The m.o. of a great majority of res agents is to get you off the phone with -----. "Call Back"! (Tomorrow-in 48 hours-in 72 hours or in 2 weeks)
This is total & complete B.S.! They usually don't have a clue how to fix the problem or are too lazy to assist a person.

If anything is in the least bit haywire, I'm on the horn, and sometimes it may take 3 or 4 calls & recalls, but it's fixed before I lay my head on a pillow at night.

I DON'T WAIT FOR A RESERVATION, THAT I PAID FOR, TO BE REENTERED INTO THE SYSTEM, UNTIL AN AGENT HAS TIME TO GETT-ER DUN, AND I DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THAT THEY TELL ME UNTIL I SEE IT IN BLACK & WHITE, FOR MYSELF, UNDER "MY RESERVATIONS"!!!

I understand your M.O., and it certainly makes sense, but if you travel with high frequency, who has the time to constantly monitor their itins and constantly be on the phone with them to resolve their system and schedule issues?

I have over a dozen reservations, many of them with unacceptable, negative, or less than minimum connections due to schedule changes, and occasionally a dropped flight due to cancellation. As you point out, it sometimes takes multiple calls and significant time to remedy issues -- I've been averaging probably 40-50 minutes per reservation to resolve each one (my spread is 30 minutes to 4.5 hours per issue).

I've actually been accepting some of the negative and less than minimum connection ones so that they don't unilaterally rebook me onto something else, creating more problems as they've done in the past.

Pre-3/3, I never dreaded calling in to remedy these sorts of things -- they'd never take more than 5-10 minutes max. But now it's such a chore. It's even a chore finding the problems -- not only did the old UA mark each sked change itin in red, but hte site let you see on one page all the flight segments, and if something looked amiss, you could spot it at a glance, without having to open each record to figure out if something changed.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by flyingbrick
Not saying this is actually a bad idea, but given long hold times, the fact that anyone even considers this speaks volumes about the sad state of airline customer service/support. It would be a whole lot easier (i.e., cheaper) to just get it right the first time rather than doing it wrong repetitively.
This situation is not about getting it right the first time, it's about keeping an eye on one's reservation. There are many reasons that a res can become screwed up (schedule changes- flight # changes- CPU drops, someone with loose fingers adjusted something, Shares caught the flu, to just name a few). Not checking every so often is a disaster waiting to happen, and not calling immediately when a problem arises is cavalier and careless.

& to answer CHANNA, yep it's a pita, but if you "Snooze ya loose"! NOT fun, but someone's gotta do it!!!
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

& to answer CHANNA, yep it's a pita, but if you "Snooze ya loose"! NOT fun, but someone's gotta do it!!!
I hear ya, and it's certainly prudent.

But I think the maintenance and time investment of dealing with CO is why a lot of people are moving to other carriers.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Funny you should mention this....they lost two of my reservations for 2 one-way trips I'm taking in July.....they could see them listed under my MP# profile, but were unable to pull up the flights. The agent on the phone was kind and helpful, but of course had to put me on hold while they figured out what to do with the help of the ticketing department. As it turns out, she said this is a known issue (ie, "bug") that is affecting a relatively small number itineraries....as it stands now, they know about the "bug" but it hasn't yet been fixed. Their solution was to basically recreate my original itinerary and issue me a new confirmation #. Weird problem....the moral of the story is to double-check your itineraries on a regular basis....
Which came first the "glitch" or the "bug"? I have two theories on this both involve the glitch coming first. 1) when two glitches collide in the system they create a mico-bug. As more glitches run into and collide with the micro-bug it eventually reaches critical mass and becomes a bug. 2) United saw all the glitches in the system and in a panic needed to do something about it and so dumped a bunch of bugs into the system to run around and eat up the glitches. As usually happens with this approach to problem solving the bugs eventually become a bigger pest than the glitches they were designed to eliminate.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by channa
I understand your M.O., and it certainly makes sense, but if you travel with high frequency, who has the time to constantly monitor their itins and constantly be on the phone with them to resolve their system and schedule issues?

As you point out, it sometimes takes multiple calls and significant time to remedy issues -- I've been averaging probably 40-50 minutes per reservation to resolve each one (my spread is 30 minutes to 4.5 hours per issue).
I agree. I manage reservations for a number of people, and it is a HUGE time suck to call in all the damn time. AA is getting business because I dont want to babysit.

I know UA is starting to admit there are problems, but my god it takes much more work to lure back once loyal customers. It will be interesting to see if they are up to the task once this thing starts running smoothly in a year or so.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beerman92
Which came first the "glitch" or the "bug"? I have two theories on this both involve the glitch coming first. 1) when two glitches collide in the system they create a mico-bug. As more glitches run into and collide with the micro-bug it eventually reaches critical mass and becomes a bug. 2) United saw all the glitches in the system and in a panic needed to do something about it and so dumped a bunch of bugs into the system to run around and eat up the glitches. As usually happens with this approach to problem solving the bugs eventually become a bigger pest than the glitches they were designed to eliminate.
Sounds like a sci-fi movie. Or maybe Jurassic Park. I don't know.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by channa
I hear ya, and it's certainly prudent.

But I think the maintenance and time investment of dealing with CO is why a lot of people are moving to other carriers.
That may or may not be true, also!

Many of the same folks that are "Dropping Out" are still posting on this thread and still bit-hing. Million - 2 million - 3 million 1K's with status & bennies for life, ain't goin' nowhere. They just miss the pampering and, "Are Mad as Hell, and ain't gonna take it anymore", until there next flight!
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
That may or may not be true, also!

Many of the same folks that are "Dropping Out" are still posting on this thread and still bit-hing. Million - 2 million - 3 million 1K's with status & bennies for life, ain't goin' nowhere. They just miss the pampering and, "Are Mad as Hell, and ain't gonna take it anymore", until there next flight!
I've seen a lot of longtime active MM's and GS folks who used to post in this forum disappear over the last few months. YMMV.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Nobody HAS to do it. Its a self-imposed problem as in if you don't make reservations on an airline that continually botches them you don't have to monitor them constantly. For some reason the picture I have in my mind is eating at a restaurant and the waiter bringing the plate over with a whole bunch of napkins between his hand and the plate and laying it in front of me saying "be careful, its very hot". And me waiting until he turns his back and then touching the plate, burning myself and commenting "That's hot!"
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:54 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Something similar, or the same just happened to me too. Still shows under my reservations but when clicked it goes to an error page with:
! We were unable to review the latest information for this itinerary.

I haven't called yet.
I noticed yesterday that one of mine has the same thing...

Mine was booked on united.com a few weeks ago, all UA itinerary, all domestic. Nothing out of the ordinary other than I used a $-off eCert and am upgraded to R in both directions (confirmed, no waitlist).

I've got a terrible sore throat this weekend and can barely talk, or I'd be calling right now too...Even though the trip isn't until September.

All of my other itineraries are fine.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
Glad I caught this thread-

Did my daily check of two pages of upcoming reservations for schedule changes (which seem to be happening more frequently again), and saw an award ticket I booked 2 weeks ago for daughter had disappeared. On hold now as they try to straighten it out. Normal domestic saver award ticket.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 3:18 pm

I have the same issue with an upcoming award ticket (domestic in XN, UA metal). It was not a known issue to the agent, so he said he'd call me back, which in fact he did!

The e-ticket was apparently still valid and he could see me on the manifests of all my flights. It was just a matter of not being able to pull it up with the PNR. His advice was to call back during office hours on Monday when the right people are available.

I'll try calling on Monday to see if they can correct it, but most likely I guess I'll just have them open up some inventory to create a new booking...
Old Jun 3, 2012, 3:45 pm

I hadn't seen this thread, but just called UA when I noticed I couldn't bring up the details for a future flight. Searching by confirmation code results in an error message telling me the number is invalid.

The agent I spoke to told me that the new computer system just "lost" 20,000 tickets and they're working on restoring them but it would take a few days. She said she could still see that I had a valid ticket for the flights in question.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
lost mine too between Friday June 1 and today June 3. The agent can pull up the eticket number but it's blank.

They have no record of my reservation. On the phone right now for what is sure to be a painful call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.