Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Frustrating experience trying to get refund of miles & copay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Discoverist

On Feb 23, shortly before the system merger, I flew on an CO metal HKG to NEW. Requested upgrade and they charged me $600 plus 30K miles. Agent assured me that if it did not clear, those would automatically refund to my respective credit card and mileage account.

Of course the upgrade would not clear so I had to wait for the refund - 6 to 8 weeks according to our friends at UA. Got nothing after 2 months.

So I called - of course after hours of wait- they asked me to file a request online - saying that this is the only way that the refund request will be processed. Noted that this is already different to what I was assured when I requested the upgrade.

Okay fine I did the online request accordingly. Was told a 2 to 3 week wait according to the system. Got no response. So I checked the status online - it shows "please contact agent at 1-800- WECARE2."

Okay so I called, many times. Each and every time, of course after fighting with the automated system for 10 minutes to get to a real guy - they all repeat the same thing - ask me to check the status online. Well I just did and was directed to the number here! What do you want me to do. One agent did not believe and I asked him to try on the spot - he was - oh that's our number, mm this is funny. Well, not funny when you spent 2 hours no the phone already my friend.

Then they told me that they are the reservation department and can not do refund. Some ask me to call back during work hour. Fine I did so, still they could not handle this. This is my 4th try today and I was put on hold forever each and every time. I managed to get the miles department to redeposit my 30K miles but so far no luck on my $600.

I think i have a reason to believe that i have an embezzlement case against United. What should I do now?
Old May 31, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by richardcjy
On Feb 23, shortly before the system merger, I flew on an CO metal HKG to NEW. Requested upgrade and they charged me $600 plus 30K miles. Agent assured me that if it did not clear, those would automatically refund to my respective credit card and mileage account.

Of course the upgrade would not clear so I had to wait for the refund - 6 to 8 weeks according to our friends at UA. Got nothing after 2 months.

So I called - of course after hours of wait- they asked me to file a request online - saying that this is the only way that the refund request will be processed. Noted that this is already different to what I was assured when I requested the upgrade.

Okay fine I did the online request accordingly. Was told a 2 to 3 week wait according to the system. Got no response. So I checked the status online - it shows "please contact agent at 1-800- WECARE2."

Okay so I called, many times. Each and every time, of course after fighting with the automated system for 10 minutes to get to a real guy - they all repeat the same thing - ask me to check the status online. Well I just did and was directed to the number here! What do you want me to do. One agent did not believe and I asked him to try on the spot - he was - oh that's our number, mm this is funny. Well, not funny when you spent 2 hours no the phone already my friend.

Then they told me that they are the reservation department and can not do refund. Some ask me to call back during work hour. Fine I did so, still they could not handle this. This is my 4th try today and I was put on hold forever each and every time. I managed to get the miles department to redeposit my 30K miles but so far no luck on my $600.

I think i have a reason to believe that i have an embezzlement case against United. What should I do now?
Dispute through your credit card company. Let them fight for you.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: VAG
I thought that the policy on miles+copay was that your credit card doesn't get charged until you're actually seated. I've attempted miles+copay (unsuccessfully) twice and never had my card charged.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by wxguy
Dispute through your credit card company. Let them fight for you.
+1. Don't waste your time on this if you aren't getting anywhere.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Jorgen
I thought that the policy on miles+copay was that your credit card doesn't get charged until you're actually seated. I've attempted miles+copay (unsuccessfully) twice and never had my card charged.
The policy changed post-3/3. United now collects payment at the time of the upgrade request.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
I post about the bad so I'll post about the good too. I changed a segment from miles plus co-pay to GPUs. When I called in to get the refund, I was given an email address and a hard mailing address to which I was supposed to correspond about my refund. I sent an email right away but did not hear back for several weeks.

I later called the global services line and they were able to see my request and shortly thereafter I received an email from customer service acknowledging my original request and advising that my miles would be deposited and my credit card credited. All of this took place last week. So it took an email and a couple of calls, but it worked.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Advice for a lowly Premier Silver for miles re-deposit?

In January, we booked a trans-Atlantic flight for March and paid an additional 20K miles to get on the upgrade list. Our upgrade did not clear and we haven't been re-credited the miles. Any thoughts on the best way to request the credit keeping in mind that we are only Premier Silvers? Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by misterfuss
... Any thoughts on the best way to request the credit keeping in mind that we are only Premier Silvers? Thanks.
what have you done so far? Have you called MPSC?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by RealFan
I post about the bad so I'll post about the good too. I changed a segment from miles plus co-pay to GPUs. When I called in to get the refund, I was given an email address and a hard mailing address to which I was supposed to correspond about my refund. I sent an email right away but did not hear back for several weeks.

I later called the global services line and they were able to see my request and shortly thereafter I received an email from customer service acknowledging my original request and advising that my miles would be deposited and my credit card credited. All of this took place last week. So it took an email and a couple of calls, but it worked.
Did your miles and cc credit actually take place or is the good news that UA acknowledged the problem and promised that it would be addressed?

Regardless, while I'm very glad that it's worked our or at least looks like it will work out fine, you're a more generous spirit than I am in crediting UA for this good news. Not getting the refund automatically, then not hearing back for several weeks and then having to call to follow up - that strikes me as pretty lousy treatment for any customer. The fact that as a GS you were treated that way by UA makes it all the more striking.

Originally Posted by misterfuss
In January, we booked a trans-Atlantic flight for March and paid an additional 20K miles to get on the upgrade list. Our upgrade did not clear and we haven't been re-credited the miles. Any thoughts on the best way to request the credit keeping in mind that we are only Premier Silvers? Thanks.
I think that should call the Mileage Plus Service Desk (which I believe you have to do by calling UA reservations and having them connect you). Have your ticket number, reservation number and flight number handy. Also, check your MP account before calling so that you can tell the CSR what date the miles were taken out of your account. At the outset of your call, politely ask for the name of the MP customer service rep so you'll know whom you spoke with if you have to follow up later.

Also, be prepared to wait on hold an hour or more to get through to the Service Desk and/or when you're put on hold while the CSR looks into your situation, finds out how to handle it, gets clearance from your supervisor to redeposit the miles, etc. I.e., have some work, reading, tv or something else handy to occupy you while you wait.

If it all goes well - which is a big if -ask by what day the miles will be redeposited.

Did you also have to provide a cash payment toward the upgrade and was that deposit recredited to your credit card when your upgrade didn't go through? If you did make that payment and you haven't gotten it back, you might raise that when you talk to the MP Service Desk. And if you get the runaround there, you might best take it up with your credit card company, as suggested by other posts upthread.

Hope it all works out! It would be good if you could post what happens, as a learning experience for the rest of us.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Thumbs up Success in only 22 minutes!

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
what have you done so far? Have you called MPSC?
I had compiled my documentation and was ready to send a letter, email, or make a phone call depending on which method was the least painful and time consuming. I had read blogs and info here that made it seem a bit of an ordeal to get the miles credited. So, I came here to learn from others with similar experiences.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I think that should call the Mileage Plus Service Desk (which I believe you have to do by calling UA reservations and having them connect you). Have your ticket number, reservation number and flight number handy. Also, check your MP account before calling so that you can tell the CSR what date the miles were taken out of your account. At the outset of your call, politely ask for the name of the MP customer service rep so you'll know whom you spoke with if you have to follow up later.

Also, be prepared to wait on hold an hour or more to get through to the Service Desk and/or when you're put on hold while the CSR looks into your situation, finds out how to handle it, gets clearance from your supervisor to redeposit the miles, etc. I.e., have some work, reading, tv or something else handy to occupy you while you wait.

If it all goes well - which is a big if -ask by what day the miles will be redeposited.

Did you also have to provide a cash payment toward the upgrade and was that deposit recredited to your credit card when your upgrade didn't go through? If you did make that payment and you haven't gotten it back, you might raise that when you talk to the MP Service Desk. And if you get the runaround there, you might best take it up with your credit card company, as suggested by other posts upthread.

Hope it all works out! It would be good if you could post what happens, as a learning experience for the rest of us.
I looked for a Mileage Plus Customer Service number on my Premier Silver Card and didn't find it, but I found one on an expired Premier card. I called the number (1-800-325-0046) and was pleasantly surprised that it still worked.

After the computer voice prompted me for what I would like, I said "Missing Miles." I then was prompted for my Mileage Plus number. After going around the voice prompt menu in a circular fashion, I finally was asked if I wanted to go the "Agent Queue? If so, say Agent Queue." After only a few minutes of being on hold, an agent picked up and our discussion began. (My advice then is to say "missing miles," then your mileage plus number, and then say "agent queue.")

The agent had a bit of a difficult time finding the missing miles, but was able to do so when I explained that the miles were deducted out of pmUA account numbered account prior to our flight which took place after the merger was complete and were using our pmCO account number (which is now my UA account number.)

I was on hold for a while the agent said she was going to check some of the notes in my file. When she returned, she sheepishly asked how much I had been charged for my copay (since she apparently couldn't find it.) I told her that I had not been charged anything since I requested the upgrade pre-merger and the copay collection at time of request was a post merger thing.

She then put me on hold for a few minutes to speak to her supervisor and came back to say that our mileage had been credited effective immediately.

I logged out and in again and see that my balance is currently 20,000 miles greater than it was prior to the phone call. I can't see it on the detail page yet, but I imagine it will post there by tomorrow or the next day.

So, I started my phone call at 4:31 p.m today and was finished by 4:53 p.m. for a grand total of 22 minutes. It took me longer to write this post.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Refund if Waitlist to BF using Miles + $$$ Doesn't Clear?

Hello,

As the title suggests, I wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with being waitisted for an upgrade to BF using miles and $$$, but the upgrade doesn't clear.

My wife and I are waitlisted on a flight from DAL-IAH-EZE. The upgrade cleared from DAL-IAH but IAH-EZE is still waitlisted. When I called an agent and asked about refund, she specifically said:
1. There is no refund of miles or $$$ since at least one upgrade cleared
2. Any upgrade was pre-merger CO policy only. UA does not refund miles or $$$>

If this is the case, I really don't want to spend $500 + 25k miles (per person) to upgrade from DAL-IAH - apparently I can call and ask for the miles to be redeposited and the $$$ refunded. FWIW, I'm 1K and the miles came out of my account.

My flight is tomorrow - should I call and ask for a refund? Apparently, once I fly from DAL-IAH, there is no possibility of a refund.

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
You will be able to get a refund if your BF segment does not clear.

MileagePlus Upgrade Awards

In most cases, the MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, miles and co-pay will be re-deposited if all the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segments could not be upgraded. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically 7 to 10 days after the trip.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
Wow, tomorrow's IAH-EZE is quite full (sold full in coach and sold 24/30 in business, according to mobile.united.com in "text mode", which pretty much matches the flight's availability of J5 C4 D4 Z3 P3 Y1 B1 M1 E0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0).

I think there are pretty good odds that either your upgrades will clear; or (if your plans are flexible) you'll be able to volunteer your seats and maybe even negotiate business class on your new routing in addition to a voucher for a discount off future travel.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Million Miler.
Updgrade Co-Pay Refund Delay (AGAIN!)

10 April: My miles + co-pay upgrade did not clear for my PVG-EWR flight.
I stopped by the EWR service center and they told me everything should be refunded with 24 hours, but if not, I should call.

12 April: No action, so I called the 1K line. They immediately redeposited my miles and told me my $600 co-pay should credit to my CC "in 7-10 days".

20 May: Noticed I still had not received my $600 credit, so called the 1K line again. They said: "refund has been held up at the MP service center but is being processed now. You should see it in 7-10 days".

Now this is the THIRD time in 18 months that the same thing has occurred. More than a months delay (and several emails/phonecalls), to receive a refund of the co-pay when it doesn't clear.

One time is a mistake.
Two times is a coincidence.
Three times is a conspiracy!

Last edited by J.Edward; May 21, 2013 at 3:37 pm
Old May 20, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS Emerald; UA 1MM; Hilton Gold; Marriott Platinum
put it in dispute with credit card company - and instant resolution, at least that has been my experience!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.