Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Dining Upgrade 1st June 2012

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by channa
But this is the same airline that cut Starbucks in favor of some no-name vending machine coffee, all while the competitors were using or changing to branded coffee.
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
ALMOST EVERY AIRLINE except US Carriers have it. Many even now have NESPRESSO machines.
At this point I'd be happy if they went back to the watered down Starbucks (PMCO coffee was horrible )

The swill that they serve if you ask for coffee is NOT drinkable

EmailKid, who can tell difference between swill and coffee
Old May 31, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EmailKid
At this point I'd be happy if they went back to the watered down Starbucks (PMCO coffee was horrible )

The swill that they serve if you ask for coffee is NOT drinkable

EmailKid, who can tell difference between swill and coffee
Agreed, the Starbucks brew was never excellent, but at least it let me look forward to a cup of coffee at the end of an overnight TATL. Now it's sheer misery.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
ALMOST EVERY AIRLINE except US Carriers have it. Many even now have NESPRESSO machines. You know we're in trouble when PIA offers it. The reason CO got rid of there's? They figured the weight of each machine X flights X fuel and realized they could save .48 cents a flight by getting rid of something so many passengers enjoy. Now that UA/CO are "trying" to be global airlines with flights to 5 Muslim countries, you would think they would realize that quality espresso / teas are important to a group of people that don't drink. Don't get me started on the whole espresso thing. It's so stupid and short sighted. CO gets rid of the machines as they weigh 10 kilos, Emirates puts 2 shower spas on board 380s with 500 gallon water tanks (what does that weigh? 3000LBS so that 12 passengers can take a shower.........
What??? UA is getting rid of the espresso machines on PMCO 764s and 772s??? Seriously?

I had been hoping to see them on PMUA widebodies and now the only thing I have for breakfast - a cappuccino - will be unavailable.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ULMFlyer
I had been hoping to see them on PMUA widebodies and now the only thing I have for breakfast - a cappuccino - will be unavailable.
Hey, at least you can get one if you fly on a route with a legacy RCC at origination
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:09 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Flew LAX>NRT May 30. Menu looked like that menu, but the food sucked as usual...hard hockey-puck "steak" and flimsy, overcooked asparagus. The best things are the mashed potatoes because those, like pizza, are hard to screw up.

I actually enjoy the mid-flight roast beef & cheddar sandwich with horseradish spread with Sun Chips more than anything else. Those are good movie-watching snackies.

Didn't even try the pre-landing "lunch". I'd rather go to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wipe myself. (I DO like the upgraded amenity pack more than the old one...I CAN be positive!).

In closing, nothing seemed new, so I'll know more on my return flight 4-June.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 1, 2012 at 12:16 am Reason: language
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by eflyte
Agreed, the Starbucks brew was never excellent, but at least it let me look forward to a cup of coffee at the end of an overnight TATL. Now it's sheer misery.
Only an American would consider Starbucks a good brew! To the rest of teh world it's on par with McDonald's coffee.

The rest of the world drinks espesso!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by TIMOS
Only an American would consider Starbucks a good brew! To the rest of teh world it's on par with McDonald's coffee.

McD's coffee is light years ahead of the current freshpoo variety served on-board UA flights. As far as espresso, it is an acquired taste - for me it's great but I know a lot of people (including Europeans) for whom it is too strong.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K

Don't get me wrong, I know and appreciate "good" coffee. But it's all relative, and the current stuff makes McD's seem like the best Wiener melange.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
Just FYI, as of two days ago the 9PM PS JFK-LAX service had been downgraded from a full dinner back to a snack, at least in business.

This flight was traditionally a snack service, but had been upgraded to dinner a few months ago.

The snack was very similar to the old one (cold chicken, pasta salad, small fruit salad, scone at end of flight) but was marginally smaller.

I'm flying out my last couple of previously booked UA itineraries for the foreseeable future as I move my business to American, or I'd be disappointed.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Brian
Just FYI, as of two days ago the 9PM PS JFK-LAX service had been downgraded from a full dinner back to a snack, at least in business.

This flight was traditionally a snack service, but had been upgraded to dinner a few months ago.

The snack was very similar to the old one (cold chicken, pasta salad, small fruit salad, scone at end of flight) but was marginally smaller.

I'm flying out my last couple of previously booked UA itineraries for the foreseeable future as I move my business to American, or I'd be disappointed.
Confirmed - sponsored a friend flying that route last Friday and she got the cold chicken pasta 'snack'
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:18 pm

Premium Dining Upgrade 1st June 2012

Flying SFO to the east coast tonight and just got bumped to first. They are saying dinner service, so I'll let everyone know how it is.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Starwood Platinum

ah...how poor we americans are at so much...guess thats why ya choose to live here? greeks prob have good coffee huh? then again...who can afford it?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Can confirm the 9pm JFK-LAX is now a snack flight. That was nice while it lasted... all of for months, although I admit it is sort of late for the full dinner service, which takes about 90 minutes to deliver.

The late JFK-SFO (2025 departure) still has the full dinner service.

Don't even get me started on the espresso. That was one of my favorite aspects of BF. I'm sure UA realized it could save $7.50 per flight by not loading the espresso pods on sCO aircraft, so in the scheme of things, it was a no-brainer...

Cost vs. value. They just don't get it.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by EWR764
Cost vs. value. They just don't get it.
another "change" you're going to like!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
So I see no enhancement whatsoever for GF pax. Meh.

Also, are they bringing back the 'dine when you want' option for GF? My last 2 flights SFO-FRA and FRA-SFO they said they no longer do this in First.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.