Go Back   > > >

Old May 30, 12, 10:46 am   #1
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2mm, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
No more Lie-Flats IAH-NRT???!!!

I just noticed on my upcoming IAH-NRT-IAH flights the seats are no longer lie-flats. Both Expert Flyer and Seatguru confirms this. Looks like it changes to regular BF seats as of Aug 14.
I've been on hold with the 1K desk for almost an hour while she's on hold with her support desk (she was as shocked as I am).
Has anyone heard anything?
chavala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 12, 10:49 am   #2
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
If it continues to be operated by a PMCO 777-200 then it definitely will have lie-flat seats. You can ignore the configuration on seatguru without lie-flat - it doesn't exist anymore.

I just did a quick check and it appears to just be an issue with the website - it doesn't appear that the aircraft is being changed.

Even if a PMUA 772 was used on the route the vast majority of these are reconfigured as well, although it's worth pointing out that the seat config being shown on ua.com doesn't indicate that this is changing.
star_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 12, 10:50 am   #3

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavala View Post
I just noticed on my upcoming IAH-NRT-IAH flights the seats are no longer lie-flats. Both Expert Flyer and Seatguru confirms this. Looks like it changes to regular BF seats as of Aug 14.
I've been on hold with the 1K desk for almost an hour while she's on hold with her support desk (she was as shocked as I am).
Has anyone heard anything?
Not correct. The flight will continue to be a PMCO 2 class 777 all of which have lie flat BF seats. However.. in looking at the seat maps at United.com for a couple random dates after 8/14.. I do see they are using a basic seat map that does not show the lie flat seat icons. Don't worry about that...rest assured there will be lie flat seats.
SEA1K4EVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 12, 10:53 am   #4
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2mm, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
What a relief!
The 1k agent just told me the same thing, and she's reporting it so hopefully they'll fix it.
chavala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 12, 10:56 am   #5

Programs: United Prem1K, AA EXP, Southwest RR, Alitalia Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, Marriot Gold, Hertz gold
Good to hear, I'm on that in about three weeks! and i just checked and saw the same "bad" diagrams.

I thought it was because Southwest was flying from Hobby Int'l now..part of the Smisek payback plan...
FlyingHoustonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 12, 11:30 pm   #6

Programs: United 1k
Thank God! I fly this route often and look forward to these lie-flat bed seats :-)
MK19791980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 12, 1:51 pm   #7

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
What other aircraft (other than PMUA 3 class 777s that haven't received IPTE) could service this route that does not have lie-flat BF seats?
SFOTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 12, 1:52 pm   #8

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle View Post
What other aircraft (other than PMUA 3 class 777s that haven't received IPTE) could service this route that does not have lie-flat BF seats?
None.
SEA1K4EVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 12, 7:54 am   #9

777-200 NRT to IAH configuration

The NRT to IAH flights I've seen listed on UA have 777-200 configuration with no First Class and rows 1-11 as all "BusinessFirst" with lie-flat seats.

I'm thinking of booking a BusinessFirst flight and would certainly prefer to have a lie-flat seat. Do you think there are likely chance that UA uses several different 777-200 planes for this route and I might get stuck with one that just has a recliner seat?
wrinklefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 12, 8:27 am   #10
QBK

Programs: UA 1K & UC, Hyatt Plat, Marriott/Hilton/SPG Gold, Avis PC
So far, the NRT TPACs have still been operated by pre-merger equipment. So IAH-NRT is consistently a CO 772, and the flights to SFO/LAX/IAD/SEA are UA equipment.

Obviously, that could change at any time. I don't think there's a particularly compelling reason for UA to change it -- unlike the TATL routes, you can't swap aircraft sizes (only 777/747 equipment will make it across the pacific), there's no substantial capacity difference between the different flavors of 772, and keeping the same planes on the same routes preserves a consistent customer experience.

Final point: the majority of PMUA 772s have been refitted with the new configuration, which has lie-flat seats in C. So even if there's an equipment swap, odds are you're still fine.
QBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 12, 8:44 am   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBK View Post

Final point: the majority of PMUA 772s have been refitted with the new configuration, which has lie-flat seats in C. So even if there's an equipment swap, odds are you're still fine.
except at least IMO the PMCO 772 BF seats are alot more comfortable then those on PMUA even if lie-flat
craz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 12, 8:53 am   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Quote:
Originally Posted by craz View Post
except at least IMO the PMCO 772 BF seats are alot more comfortable then those on PMUA even if lie-flat
It depends. The PMCO seats are wider but shorter than the PMUA seats.

Comfort is a matter of personal preference. We've even had posters say they prefer CO domestic F over UA's domestic F because CO's is more upright and UA's has too much recline.
channa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 12, 9:05 am   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by channa View Post
It depends. The PMCO seats are wider but shorter than the PMUA seats.
Dont know if they are shorter or not, but the foot well is smaller on most seats except 2AB no row 1 AB, then the seats in row 1 and row 8 in the 2nd cabin @ 6'2' if I get 1 of these seats no problems whatsoever, but Id rather be on USs 330-200 with their new Envoy!
craz is offline   Reply With Quote